R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #3421
Tech Regular
 
hotrod1933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Shire, Sydney Australia
Posts: 312
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default springs

i am running asphalt setup as per std.
excepting 2.4 rear and one hole further in.
car was loose in rear with 2.6 but a lot better with 2.4 (i have got 2.2-2.6's coming)
anyone else find std setup loose.
only run 21.5 blinky so corner speed and smooth is what you have to be.
some of our mod and 17.5 boosted cars are not much quicker through twisty bits but bye bye on straights.
__________________
XRAY T4-15 -- nbhc.com -- powerhouse performance -- sma.org
hotrod1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #3422
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1933 View Post
i am running asphalt setup as per std.
excepting 2.4 rear and one hole further in.
car was loose in rear with 2.6 but a lot better with 2.4 (i have got 2.2-2.6's coming)
anyone else find std setup loose.
only run 21.5 blinky so corner speed and smooth is what you have to be.
some of our mod and 17.5 boosted cars are not much quicker through twisty bits but bye bye on straights.
It depends on the track of course. Our local asphalt track has so much traction, the kit setup is way too stuck and has no steering.
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #3423
Tech Elite
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,287
Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default

Ok thanks for the advise on the xray aluminum shocks they work great now.

The next question is shocks again. I have two cars and the second one I finnally got my tamiya set mounted up and they are pretty good. What oils/spring should I be running with these shocks?
__________________
"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Dusttt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #3424
Tech Fanatic
 
alecladanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Manila
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

may i ask for a set up sheet/advice for an asphalt indoor track, 40 meter straight, it has 2 long sweepers (the first and last turns). it gets technical inside, but still flowing.

traction is from medium to high. the qualifying heats are medium (middle to late afternoon), but when you get to the finals (come night time), traction is high.

my particular problem really is when i get inside, the car seems too slow on middle and exit corners.

I'll be running an ORCA 13.5 T motor boosted with a Tekin RS Pro and our spec tire is a RIDE RE36.

many thanks in advance.

Last edited by alecladanga; 08-09-2012 at 12:09 AM.
alecladanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #3425
Tech Addict
 
waOscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pattaya Thailand
Posts: 614
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampRC View Post
I know this issue has been beaten to a pulp, but I'm getting frustrated and out of solutions...

I've switched right components with left components including rear hubs, arms, suspension holders, 1.50mm washers, switched entire suspension, switched what hudy device used, wheel hexes, I even bought the one piece front rear suspension holder....everything I tried end up with 2 degrees toe on the left and the right will vary from 3.1 to 4 degrees. I've taken everything apart and rebuilt/rescrewed....

Whenever I use a washer on the left to compensate, the right just increases. I put in a washer almost double the size apprx 3mm on the left and finally got 3 degrees, but then the right was at 4 degrees.

I spent half a grand on this car and this issue is making me really question my decision.
In my past experience I notice a great difference in driving with even rear toe than uneven...so I'm not just OCD, this thing drives like garbage with the toe being 1 degree different and I'm not that good of a driver to drive it like this....
Have you tried replacing the rear upright/s. They get twisted or something. Whenever my toe is uneven L to R i change the side which is incorrect and then re-test and bingo all good. I have inspected the "twisted" upright removed and can never see anything wrong, but it solves the problem.
And driving with uneven rear toe is really bad, in fact when my car goes "bad", one of the first things I do is check rear toe on hudy station and change damaged upright.
__________________
Xray T3 2011 - my asphalt chassis
Xray T3 2011 - my carpet chassis
waOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #3426
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecladanga View Post
may i ask for a set up sheet/advice for an asphalt indoor track, 40 meter straight, it has 2 long sweepers (the first and last turns). it gets technical inside, but still flowing.

traction is from medium to high. the qualifying heats are medium (middle to late afternoon), but when you get to the finals (come night time), traction is high.

my particular problem really is when i get inside, the car seems too slow on middle and exit corners.

I'll be running an ORCA 13.5 T motor boosted with a Tekin RS Pro and our spec tire is a RIDE RE36.

many thanks in advance.
Do you mean the car is not carrying enough corner speed?

If so, you could try standing the shocks up more.
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #3427
Tech Fanatic
 
alecladanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Manila
Posts: 820
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Do you mean the car is not carrying enough corner speed?

If so, you could try standing the shocks up more.
yes, that is correct.

thanks for the tip
alecladanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #3428
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecladanga View Post
yes, that is correct.

thanks for the tip
When I was asking for advice at an indoor track I was told that I lacked corner speed, my car was described as 'stalling in the corners' so I was told to stand the shocks up, it definitely helped me.

Let us know if it worked for you or not.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #3429
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waOscar View Post
Have you tried replacing the rear upright/s. They get twisted or something. Whenever my toe is uneven L to R i change the side which is incorrect and then re-test and bingo all good. I have inspected the "twisted" upright removed and can never see anything wrong, but it solves the problem.
And driving with uneven rear toe is really bad, in fact when my car goes "bad", one of the first things I do is check rear toe on hudy station and change damaged upright.
when you say rear "uprights" do you mean rear hubs ? thanks
traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #3430
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Rear toe issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitor View Post
when you say rear "uprights" do you mean rear hubs ? thanks
Wondering the same also...

Thanks for all the help guys, I haven't been able to take pics or anything yet due to work, but I will try to get some pictures and stuff in soon.
ChampRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #3431
Tech Elite
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Rear uprights and rear hubs are referring to the same part.
__________________
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Radiopost | Speed Passion USA | Trinity | P3 Graphics
M-Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #3432
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 595
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I have noticed that my car is loose on power when turning to the right, but has plenty of rear traction going into left hand turns.
It proved it today when the car would do spin and do donuts in a right hand turn, but push and be stable turning left, unable to spin/do donut.
I have reset the car to kit setup except for 4 holes open in the rear shocks to get more traction, and the ever present different toe setting left to right, with 2mm spacers on the left lower suspension arm mount and 1.5 on the right to give an overall rear toe in of 3 degrees toe in.
Maybe I need to install new rear uprights as suggested, but the toe issue has always been there, even from brand new kit.
Would weight balance cause this? I was also thinking maybe the motor is weighing that side down, causing it to bite into the track and spin the car also.
Running near new tires, checked everything for binding, reset cambers etc
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #3433
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
I have noticed that my car is loose on power when turning to the right, but has plenty of rear traction going into left hand turns.
It proved it today when the car would do spin and do donuts in a right hand turn, but push and be stable turning left, unable to spin/do donut.
I have reset the car to kit setup except for 4 holes open in the rear shocks to get more traction, and the ever present different toe setting left to right, with 2mm spacers on the left lower suspension arm mount and 1.5 on the right to give an overall rear toe in of 3 degrees toe in.
Maybe I need to install new rear uprights as suggested, but the toe issue has always been there, even from brand new kit.
Would weight balance cause this? I was also thinking maybe the motor is weighing that side down, causing it to bite into the track and spin the car also.
Running near new tires, checked everything for binding, reset cambers etc
That is a tweak, or not equal left to right dual rate, or both
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #3434
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,781
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
I have noticed that my car is loose on power when turning to the right, but has plenty of rear traction going into left hand turns.
It proved it today when the car would do spin and do donuts in a right hand turn, but push and be stable turning left, unable to spin/do donut.
I have reset the car to kit setup except for 4 holes open in the rear shocks to get more traction, and the ever present different toe setting left to right, with 2mm spacers on the left lower suspension arm mount and 1.5 on the right to give an overall rear toe in of 3 degrees toe in.
Maybe I need to install new rear uprights as suggested, but the toe issue has always been there, even from brand new kit.
Would weight balance cause this? I was also thinking maybe the motor is weighing that side down, causing it to bite into the track and spin the car also.
Running near new tires, checked everything for binding, reset cambers etc
Put the car on the tweak station like others mentioned.
__________________
Hobbywing / Team Scream / Progressive Rc / Ko Propo / MotivRc / Dri-Fit Mafia /
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #3435
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 595
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

dont have a tweak station unfortunatly. Will have to just do it the old fashioned way and unscrew everything and tighten it all back up
Is there a way to check the dual rate side to side? Not sure If I have done that before it doesnt make sense as dual rate is juts one setting. I dont generally run any anyway, DR is at 100. I rely on expo for smoother steering usually
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2011 entitymugenmtx Electric On-Road 4150 05-19-2014 12:53 PM
Xray T3 2011 New in Box olhipster1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 08-04-2011 05:27 AM
XRAY T3 2012 bila nk keluar? bravolous Malaysian R/C Racers 8 06-16-2011 11:58 PM
Xray T3 nitro rat Australia For Sale/Trade 22 09-19-2010 03:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net