R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #3331
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Exotek

The X-ray chassis wouldn't have the option of split blocks and holes to mount them like the exotek . The stock X-ray ones tweak with the one hole and post setup and can rip out of the chassis .
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #3332
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,125
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I guess i'm just looking for some that use the existing hole pattern but are machined to accept pillow ball. Is there something keeping that from working? Maybe you lose the option of split blocks? Is that what CSO is offering there?

The Exotek solution seems like it was designed to just re-use their Tamiya blocks. Which I guess is okay, but I didn't want to change the chassis of my car. I just wanted the option of running toe blocks because I find them to be easier to work on. I'm not interested in any geometry changes.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #3333
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 677
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Cso

The cso ones mount in the stock holes . But the tolerances are fairly poor there is side play within the ball and mount and no way to shim out the play . Best way is to use heavy grease or the tamiya anti wear stuff to limit the play
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #3334
Tech Regular
 
rdlkgliders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So. Cal High Desert Hobbies
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I guess i'm just looking for some that use the existing hole pattern but are machined to accept pillow ball. Is there something keeping that from working? Maybe you lose the option of split blocks? Is that what CSO is offering there?

The Exotek solution seems like it was designed to just re-use their Tamiya blocks. Which I guess is okay, but I didn't want to change the chassis of my car. I just wanted the option of running toe blocks because I find them to be easier to work on. I'm not interested in any geometry changes.
I am running a t3 11 chassis using serpent ff and fr blocks and a serpent rr block then I ordered the exotek split blocks for the rf. It has been 3 weeks and the car is really good. I think I had to do minimal shaving of the fr holes to fit the serpent block. I did move the rf exotek blocks forward for clearance.
It was really just a fun project at first but the results have been good. here are a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
Xray T3 2012-imag0184.jpg   Xray T3 2012-imag0222.jpg   Xray T3 2012-imag0223.jpg  
__________________
Serpent, KO Propo, Viper, Savox, ProTek
Team Waldorf Racing

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #3335
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I want a pillow ball conversion that works with XRay's existing chassis.
AMEN! +1
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #3336
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,116
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Anyone find a better shock bladders for these shocks yet...The Tamiya ones don't fit very well and the stock bladders are way too soft. I heard a while back that the reflex bladders fit, but not sure.
The Tamiya ones fit OK but you have to put them in the cap instead of on top of the body like the xray ones. A little tricker to bleed. Reflex makes them that fit the Xray now and are very very good Ive heard! I know all the AE cars around here and AE Drivers run their bladders.

The bladders are something that has been changed on the proto car too. So they are not so soft, tear and they actually work.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | Apex RC | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #3337
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
The Tamiya ones fit OK but you have to put them in the cap instead of on top of the body like the xray ones. A little tricker to bleed. Reflex makes them that fit the Xray now and are very very good Ive heard! I know all the AE cars around here and AE Drivers run their bladders.

The bladders are something that has been changed on the proto car too. So they are not so soft, tear and they actually work.

EA
+1

The reflex bladders are awesome in the Xray shocks. I haven't torn one since I started using them in my mod sedans 2-3 months ago. When they are brand new you can put them into the shock, and then put the cap assembly on top, but I prefer to put the bladder in the cap after I have used them once. ~$1 each is a nice reprieve from the Xrays as well.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #3338
Tech Regular
 
hotrod1933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Shire, Sydney Australia
Posts: 312
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default servo saver or not

what are the pro's and con's of running a servo saver.
have a t3-11 and 12 and was swapping parts to get one ready for racing and swapped from one car (not run yet secondhand) to the other.
got to the track and no steering near centre. swapped to solid arm and all good. my bad did not have other saver with me.
only run 21.5 blinky and still learning.
not sure if running without a saver is too hard on servo i would assume it is if you hit stuff. if the saver is good what is the harm or running them.
car felt fine with original saver fitted second one must be bad.
__________________
XRAY T4-15 -- nbhc.com -- powerhouse performance -- sma.org
hotrod1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #3339
Tech Elite
 
nerdling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,841
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I want a pillow ball conversion that works with XRay's existing chassis.
Why?

The original T1 and T1 Evo had pillow ball suspension. The FOC then came out with both C hub and pillow ball, then pillow ball was dropped in favor of the lighter, simpler and easer to live with C-Hub suspension.
__________________
--XRAY--NOSRAM--PROTOFORM--MUCHMORE--
www.teamxray.com -- www.hudy.net -- www.hobbyexpress.com.au
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #3340
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

He's talking about the pivot balls on the inner hinge pins.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #3341
Tech Elite
 
nerdling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,841
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1933 View Post
what are the pro's and con's of running a servo saver.
have a t3-11 and 12 and was swapping parts to get one ready for racing and swapped from one car (not run yet secondhand) to the other.
got to the track and no steering near centre. swapped to solid arm and all good. my bad did not have other saver with me.
only run 21.5 blinky and still learning.
not sure if running without a saver is too hard on servo i would assume it is if you hit stuff. if the saver is good what is the harm or running them.
car felt fine with original saver fitted second one must be bad.
The servo saver is designed to absorb impacts rather than trasnfering them directly to the servo. If you take a hit to the front end the servo saver should protect your servo and steering componets from damage.

The down side to a servo saver is that it can introduce an in accruate feeling in the steering and they are weigh more and are bulky when compared to a straight arm.

Comes down to a risk assesment, if you don't hit things often, and when you do your steering will not break then run an arm.
__________________
--XRAY--NOSRAM--PROTOFORM--MUCHMORE--
www.teamxray.com -- www.hudy.net -- www.hobbyexpress.com.au
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #3342
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,125
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
He's talking about the pivot balls on the inner hinge pins.
Yep. Is pillow ball not the right verbiage?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #3343
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

I may not be right, but here's my understanding.
Pillow ball

Pivot ball
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 07-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #3344
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 256
Default

Any news about new car from xray?
Zooberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #3345
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdling View Post
The servo saver is designed to absorb impacts rather than trasnfering them directly to the servo. If you take a hit to the front end the servo saver should protect your servo and steering componets from damage.

The down side to a servo saver is that it can introduce an in accruate feeling in the steering and they are weigh more and are bulky when compared to a straight arm.

Comes down to a risk assesment, if you don't hit things often, and when you do your steering will not break then run an arm.
Like what he said, I would never run without one, never had a centre point steering issue. I always mod the sero saver so that the link is closer to the centre, slows the steering a little but gives more torque and better feel.

Bb
bucketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2011 entitymugenmtx Electric On-Road 4150 05-19-2014 12:53 PM
Xray T3 2011 New in Box olhipster1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 08-04-2011 05:27 AM
XRAY T3 2012 bila nk keluar? bravolous Malaysian R/C Racers 8 06-16-2011 11:58 PM
Xray T3 nitro rat Australia For Sale/Trade 22 09-19-2010 03:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net