R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #3286
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Rebel 12 mounts its motor that way and they found it had too much flex with mod motors and released an optional pod. Maybe the leg on a TC gives it enough rigidity.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #3287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The Rebel 12 mounts its motor that way and they found it had too much flex with mod motors and released an optional pod. Maybe the leg on a TC gives it enough rigidity.
Thats actually not true. To run the correct pinion for high turn mod motors you could not move the motor back far enough to get a good mesh the motor would hit the plastic axle mount so an alternate mount had to be made. They didnt want to make the plastic any less beefy so they had to redesign the whole motor mount.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #3288
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Thats actually not true. To run the correct pinion for high turn mod motors you could not move the motor back far enough to get a good mesh the motor would hit the plastic axle mount so an alternate mount had to be made. They didnt want to make the plastic any less beefy so they had to redesign the whole motor mount.
Ah, good to know. I swear I heard that story from OD.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #3289
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I think the bulkheads are closer, but I think there are new eccentrics that are designed to accommodate the diff and spool? I'm just noticing how the eccentrics look to have a rounded edge instead of the typical square edge. Financially it would seem cheaper to mold a new eccentric rather than new diff cases and spools.
You're right, it looks like the eccentrics are actually protruding 1-2 mm from the bulkheads while they are flush on the '12.
Qwiglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #3290
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I believe the reason for narrowing the bulkheads, in the rear at least, is if you run the hagberg mod, and run 1dg hubs, and try to get 3dg rear toe, the back of the rear arm will hit the bulkhead, if they mounts the bulkhead in a few mm, you can run the rear more narrow overall. I have never tried to run the front with less than 1.5mm shims, so I'm not sure it would be of any benefit there.
Mike, this was my exact thought. I run the Hagberg mod, but with only .75mm removed from the suspension holders so that I can run 3* rear toe on my car. I prefer the way the chassis feels with this particular rear geometry.
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3291
Tech Regular

Quote:
Here's another I found
http://www.rc50.com/modules/coppermi...c/IMG_3479.JPG
Qwiglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #3292
Tech Elite

I like some of the changes a lot, but I still wish Xray would stop holding on to their toe block design and go with pivot style like everyone else. All they need to do is say by over whelming customer demand. Which is true. lol Besides they will sell more toe blocks, reduce weight and parts count. Their toe blocks make no sense anymore.

The motor mount makes me very afraid, love the stronger looking server mount that's not connected to the steering to tweak. Must say there are enough shims though. lol Love the shorter shocks/towers. I always like the shorter shocks on the Losi. Finally, I hope easier shocks to build and are hard coated.

I do think Xray can design a better steering system. Something more like their older single post that adjusted from the top. Why not make two of them so you can make ackerman adjustments on the fly?

Can anyone confirm if the front/rear toe blocks are connected to the bulkheads? WTH, I hope not, everyone wants pivot style toe blocks and I DO NOT want the toe blocks connected to the bulk heads. It's always been associated with chassis tweaking. Xray Please go with the industry standard toe blocks or I won't upgrade over my T3R.

Please Xray, put two holes in the front shock tower for the 5th body post.

Quote:

Last edited by RCknight; 07-31-2012 at 12:29 AM.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #3293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
I like the changes a lot, but I still wish Xray would stop holding on to their toe block design and go with pivot style like everyone else. All they need to do is say by over whelming customer demand. Which is true. lol Besides they will sell more toe blocks, reduce weight and parts count.

The motor mount makes me afraid, but other than that I love the shorter shocks/towers. I always loved the short shocks on the Losi. Finally, I hope easier shocks to build and are florine coated coated.

I do think Xray can design a better steering system. Something more like their older single post that adjusted from the top. Why not make two of them so you can make ackerman adjustments on the fly?

Can anyone confirm if the front/rear toe blocks are connected to the bulkheads? I hope not, because everyone wants pivot style toe blocks. I do not want the toe blocks connected to the bulk heads. It's always been associated with chassis tweaking. Xray do not do this.

Pretty sure those toe blocks aren't connected to the bulkheads in the pictures. Imagine if they were and you wanted to change from the 2piece to the solid mount... ugh

So who is left using toe blocks? Xray/Schu/Assoc/TOP?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #3294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Man I hate it when somebody quotes someone who is on my ignore list. I end up reading it anyway and then remembering why I have them on the list.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #3295
Tech Fanatic

i like the new motor mount system for the simple fact that it would shave off more weight, making it easier to balance left to right.

can't judge if the holes of the new shock towers are lower compared to the 12, but it is definitely shorter in terms of height of the whole piece.

it is me or are the newer and shorter shocks are all aluminum? would i be correct to assume that the new kit will be with alu shocks then (i guess only time will tell)?

would anybody care to explain the effects/benefits/disadvantages of the shocks being shorter? wondering if this piece was just made for the worlds since it is on asphalt and no traction compound for the tires.

still loving my current 12 and this prototype! :-)
alecladanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #3296
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
Pretty sure those toe blocks aren't connected to the bulkheads in the pictures. Imagine if they were and you wanted to change from the 2piece to the solid mount... ugh

So who is left using toe blocks? Xray/Schu/Assoc/TOP?
Thanks, yeah I can see that now. I took a quick peak, posted and had to run. Thought that was odd. I'm still in favor of 417 toe blocks myself. Someone please quote this. I'm...back.....for now. lol
Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 AM   #3297
Tech Elite

Quote:
Man I hate it when somebody quotes someone who is on my ignore list. I end up reading it anyway and then remembering why I have them on the list.

Quote:
I like some of the changes a lot, but I still wish Xray would stop holding on to their toe block design and go with pivot style like everyone else. All they need to do is say by over whelming customer demand. Which is true. lol Besides they will sell more toe blocks, reduce weight and parts count. Their toe blocks make no sense anymore.

The motor mount makes me very afraid, love the stronger looking server mount that's not connected to the steering to tweak. Must say there are enough shims though. lol Love the shorter shocks/towers. I always like the shorter shocks on the Losi. Finally, I hope easier shocks to build and are hard coated.

Can anyone confirm if the front/rear toe blocks are connected to the bulkheads? WTH, I hope not, everyone wants pivot style toe blocks and I DO NOT want the toe blocks connected to the bulk heads. It's always been associated with chassis tweaking. Xray Please go with the industry standard toe blocks or I won't upgrade over my T3R.

The only bit I agree with is the 5th body post.

Perhaps if you upgraded from what is essentially the budget version of an old model, you'd understand that you don't need the additional parts you're asking for.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 AM   #3298
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post

The only bit I agree with is the 5th body post.

Perhaps if you upgraded from what is essentially the budget version of an old model, you'd understand that you don't need the additional parts you're asking for.

Skiddins
Well, the great thing about America is that we all can voice our opinion. It's obvious with all the kits these days it's not a matter of what people need, but rather what they want. I don't need aluminum shocks, but I like them. Skiddins, sounds like you just want to jump on the hate bandwagon here.

Personally, I can't stand digging around looking for little plastic parts trying to find the left/right/up/down etc...etc. It's far easier to look at a few toe blocks, install it with ONE shim. It will be a pain to install those shims on this design. I think most here would agree. I think I tend to have a logical reason why I want a particular item in my kit.

Last edited by RCknight; 07-31-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #3299
Tech Elite

double post deleted.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #3300
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well, the great thing about America is that we all can voice our opinion. It's obvious with all the kits these days it's not a matter of what people need, but rather what they want. I don't need aluminum shocks, but I like them. Skiddins, sounds like you just want to jump on the hate bandwagon here.

Personally, I can't stand digging around looking for little plastic parts trying to find the left/right/up/down etc...etc. It's far easier to look at a few toe blocks, install it with ONE shim. It will be a pain to install those shims on this design. I think most here would agree. I think I tend to have a logical reason why I want a particular item in my kit.
It's not a 'hate' thing, it's a, 'you don't know what you're talking about' thing.

The problem is that your model has old steering design and geometry, old style camber link mounts etc.
I have gone faster with each incarnation of the T3, perhaps it you got up to date with the kits you'd understand why the things your after aren't necessary.
Your 'logical' reason takes no account of performance, just your own laziness.

I'll take performace over ease of use anyday, and so will almost all other racers.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote