R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #301
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default just getting back into onroad

just getting back into onroad ,what motor should i run ....
poorboy racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy racing View Post
just getting back into onroad ,what motor should i run ....
4.5 I would run 17.5 if your jus getting back into it
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

RCAmerica got their kits in last week so they should be hitting hobby shops any day now.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Really worth it?

Annoying question I know but are the small changes that noticable? I can take my 2011 and turn the servo myself, not really concerned there.

The gear diff...meh. As far as I can see as I am still relatively new the standard ball diff in my 17.5 will do just fine.

The only real upgrade I can see that may/may not be worth is are the bulkhead roll centers. What real benefit/advantage do these have over the standard roll center and H1/H2 roll centers adjustments? These are the only thing I would be interested in but I don't simply want to just buy them as it would be $100 and I can sell my car and put the 100s into what I got for my 2011 and be relatively close to a new kit.

So, do the new "optimized" features along with the new roll center adjustments really make a difference.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #305
Tech Adept

in xray get use to it. in 3 months they will have a new r version that will be a must buy. then in 6 months they will have the r+ that will be the next must have. and all will need high $ upgrades.the xray way
S411LE#63,eryx 2.0,kyosho ultima sc,B44.1,futaba.the short list. Ricky Bobby body club,member #4
atmeearacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmeearacing View Post
in xray get use to it. in 3 months they will have a new r version that will be a must buy. then in 6 months they will have the r+ that will be the next must have. and all will need high $ upgrades.the xray way
The "r" versions have always been the cheap FRP versions, not an upgrade.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #307
Tech Adept

i was only using r to note the many changes xray will go thru to get people to spend more $. i'm not sure what letter or number they use for there next upgraded car in 3 months ... dude. an other know it all yea, nice.
S411LE#63,eryx 2.0,kyosho ultima sc,B44.1,futaba.the short list. Ricky Bobby body club,member #4
Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #308
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
i was only using r to note the many changes xray will go thru to get people to spend more $. i'm not sure what letter or number they use for there next upgraded car in 3 months ... dude. an other know it all yea, nice.
Well what car do you race because i just switched from tamiya to xray and i gotta say u wanna talk about a company who throws upgrades at you every few months for way too much money that company would be TAMIYA
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #309
Tech Fanatic

When will people realized every car company (as well as the many aftermarket companies these days) have "must have" upgrades that come out after the original kit is released? Happens to all brands not just Xray.
RobS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #310
Tech Adept

well im not racing right now due to a stroke, but i've been in an xray since the t1 days.thats probabaly why the distaine.i just want the alum. upgrades with the kit,we pay enough for it.when i'm able i was thinking the serpent s411 or this car. i know xray is a really nice machine,its just the feeling that you get when you buy a new car and by the time you hit the track they have a new model out.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Really worth it?

Annoying question I know but are the small changes that noticable? I can take my 2011 and turn the servo myself, not really concerned there.

The gear diff...meh. As far as I can see as I am still relatively new the standard ball diff in my 17.5 will do just fine.

The only real upgrade I can see that may/may not be worth is are the bulkhead roll centers. What real benefit/advantage do these have over the standard roll center and H1/H2 roll centers adjustments? These are the only thing I would be interested in but I don't simply want to just buy them as it would be $100 and I can sell my car and put the 100s into what I got for my 2011 and be relatively close to a new kit.

So, do the new "optimized" features along with the new roll center adjustments really make a difference.
You bring up some interesting questions. I don't run X-Ray but the business model does make sense to me. If they sell a very high quality kit that does not require a person to purchase an abundance of spares where does that leave X-Ray to make money? Option parts and upgraded kits. Many of the changes/improvements being made anymore regardless of brand seem so incremental that unless you are getting cars for free or just enjoy building new kits it is hard to rationalize the expense. The time spent thinking about what one might be missing out on by getting the latest kit could likely be better spent developing a solid setup on the current car. So the 2012 might have a larger adjustment window. If 90% of people can get by with the adjustment range of the 2011 does it really even matter?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #312
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
i know xray is a really nice machine,its just the feeling that you get when you buy a new car and by the time you hit the track they have a new model out.
So you race........once a year? Xray does not have a new model out every few months. There is a new kit every year right around this time.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #313
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
You bring up some interesting questions. I don't run X-Ray but the business model does make sense to me. If they sell a very high quality kit that does not require a person to purchase an abundance of spares where does that leave X-Ray to make money? Option parts and upgraded kits. Many of the changes/improvements being made anymore regardless of brand seem so incremental that unless you are getting cars for free or just enjoy building new kits it is hard to rationalize the expense. The time spent thinking about what one might be missing out on by getting the latest kit could likely be better spent developing a solid setup on the current car. So the 2012 might have a larger adjustment window. If 90% of people can get by with the adjustment range of the 2011 does it really even matter?
you do have a good point there.just dont try to make your $ on things that should be in the kit. unless your running in the a mains and the cars holding you back whats the diff.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #314
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
So you race........once a year? Xray does not have a new model out every few months. There is a new kit every year right around this time.
you're a very funny guy
Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #315
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of this year I have run both Tamiya 417 and Xray T311. Both were much cheaper to run than my Schumacher and Photon.

Tamiya parts are extremely cheap. Xray parts are incredibly expensive, or overpriced given your point of view, but I have only changed 2 ECS pins in an entire year. So, although you would never believe it, the Xray was actually the cheapest car I have ever run. The rear driveshafts have no slack in them after a year, its so precisely manufactured, in high quality materials in the first place it doesn't develop slack easily.

On the 2012 upgrades, I think this car is going to be right on the money. My 11 has a similar spec and its by far the best handling car I have ever had. Every single upgrade has made a positive improvement to the car which you can feel on the track - Bulkheads, Gear Diff and Tamiya style steering set up.

Wide set up window, easy to drive, fantastic corner speed, durable and long lasting. Its going to be the package to beat
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote