R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #2851
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Is the 2.0mm chassis and 1.6mm top deck available anywhere yet??
Nexus has them
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #2852
Tech Regular
 
mrjeremyaaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 355
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I've done a bit of a search for this topic, but haven't really found anything too definitive on this..

what are the advantages / disadvantages of running a spool vs ball diff vs gear diff in the front end?

or perhaps a better way of putting would be - what sort of conditions or characteristics would each option lend themselves to..?
mrjeremyaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #2853
Tech Fanatic
 
daleburr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeremyaaron View Post
I've done a bit of a search for this topic, but haven't really found anything too definitive on this..

what are the advantages / disadvantages of running a spool vs ball diff vs gear diff in the front end?

or perhaps a better way of putting would be - what sort of conditions or characteristics would each option lend themselves to..?
Put a spool in the front.

Run it in all conditions.

Done.
__________________
Team Xray
RC-Timing Software - http://www.rc-timing.com
Mercedes AMG F1 - http://www.mercedes-amg-f1.com/
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #2854
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,482
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Put a spool in the front.

Run it in all conditions.

Done.
+1
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #2855
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

For me I've found a gear diff with 300k oil to give me more steering vs a spool. This is on medium grip asphalt.

Gear diff is probably a bit more durable since it gives in a crash.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #2856
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

I personally like the gear diff in front. But, im not the fastest guy either. I feel it makes the car easier to drive. imo
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #2857
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
I personally like the gear diff in front. But, im not the fastest guy either. I feel it makes the car easier to drive. imo
Spool can make the car feel inconsistent. But with the right setup/driver it will always be faster than without.
__________________
www.corrc.org (Colorado On-Road)
bdbachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #2858
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
For me I've found a gear diff with 300k oil to give me more steering vs a spool. This is on medium grip asphalt.

Gear diff is probably a bit more durable since it gives in a crash.
Gear diff gives more entry but less exit than a spool. It does help the front drivetrain save parts in crashes and in normal wear. Still slower out of corners and overall.
__________________
www.corrc.org (Colorado On-Road)
bdbachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #2859
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 157
Send a message via AIM to Matt W
Default Shortening Rear Wheelbase!!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with shortening the rear wheelbase?

I run on a tight and twisty carpet track and was wondering if i would benifit from this?
Matt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #2860
Tech Elite
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,711
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with shortening the rear wheelbase?

I run on a tight and twisty carpet track and was wondering if i would benifit from this?
I'll tell you a secret...the best "person" that can tell you if any setting works is the lap counter. We can talk theory all day long but it's just that, theory. Make the change to your car and run a session and note your lap times and how your car felt to you
__________________
Goodwine Racing - RC America - XRAY - HUDY - Sanwa - Motiv - GravityRC - BN Racing
Fred Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #2861
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,789
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
I'll tell you a secret...the best "person" that can tell you if any setting works is the lap counter. We can talk theory all day long but it's just that, theory. Make the change to your car and run a session and note your lap times and how your car felt to you
+1 Well spoken!

My guess is the shorter wheelbase will help you get through those tight sections!
__________________
Calandra Racing Concepts/ Hobbywing / Team Scream / Progressive Rc / Ko Propo / MotivRc / Dri-Fit Mafia /
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #2862
Tech Adept
 
adri-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Marseille
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with shortening the rear wheelbase?

I run on a tight and twisty carpet track and was wondering if i would benifit from this?
If you talking about the Hagberg rear suspension cut, I have tested it on a tight carpet track too ( RCP Trets ) in race conditions.
The benefits for me:
- more responsive car
- a lot agressive steering in corners

My setup:
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t3_2012

I have done the best lap time on this track for this scale

Regards,
Adrien
__________________
PETITrc driver
www.PETITRC.com

http://rcracereportsigm-racing.blogspot.com/
adri-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #2863
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri-13 View Post
If you talking about the Hagberg rear suspension cut, I have tested it on a tight carpet track too ( RCP Trets ) in race conditions.
The benefits for me:
- more responsive car
- a lot agressive steering in corners

My setup:
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t3_2012

I have done the best lap time on this track for this scale

Regards,
Adrien
The Hagberg mod affects the rear track, not wheelbase.

But I like the mod as well
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #2864
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Where can I find info on the Hagberg mod?
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #2865
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Where can I find info on the Hagberg mod?
http://hagberg.blogs.se/2012/01/18/r...tion-12479898/
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xray T3 2011 entitymugenmtx Electric On-Road 4150 05-19-2014 12:53 PM
Xray T3 2011 New in Box olhipster1 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 08-04-2011 05:27 AM
XRAY T3 2012 bila nk keluar? bravolous Malaysian R/C Racers 8 06-16-2011 11:58 PM
Xray T3 nitro rat Australia For Sale/Trade 22 09-19-2010 03:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:47 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net