Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can someone run me through the basics with Lipo charging/balancing, etc...lol >

Can someone run me through the basics with Lipo charging/balancing, etc...lol

Can someone run me through the basics with Lipo charging/balancing, etc...lol

Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Can someone run me through the basics with Lipo charging/balancing, etc...lol

Hi I noticed that some batteries have an extra wire coming out of them like this

Then their the ones I saw at the race track this weekend

I will be getting around a $100 dollar charger

but it also had some extra connector type accessory like this has to the right

Any other info about battery charging or a better charger to get

I don't need the best just good enough with AC/DC

And how does this balancing work for batteries like this

Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

The first pic is a 2 cell 7,4 battery , and the extra wire is the balance cable . You connect this to the balancer at your charger ( make sure your charger has balance mode ) and 99% of chargers balance the battery while "LiPO charge mode" . The Reedy battery is a 1 cell battery ( you can clearly read 3,7 V on it ) and because there's only 1 cell , there's nothing to balance , is it ?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
The first pic is a 2 cell 7,4 battery , and the extra wire is the balance cable . You connect this to the balancer at your charger ( make sure your charger has balance mode ) and 99% of chargers balance the battery while "LiPO charge mode" . The Reedy battery is a 1 cell battery ( you can clearly read 3,7 V on it ) and because there's only 1 cell , there's nothing to balance , is it ?
I know they are different size, voltage

I want to know is does the battery get balanced without hooking up the accessory linkage?

And I guess what your telling me is that their are more cells in the 7.4 pack thus needs balancing so as long as I run the 1s nothing to balance

But just for educational purposes when one goes to charge the 7.4 do you need to hook up the accessory linkage to the battery and how when the battery only has a +/-

So basically how does balancing work for the packs most use in TC/Buggy

Thank you
Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-Ty...layer_embedded

Very good video!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Balancing is just like it sounds. You balance the charge in each cell of the battery be it a 2 cell (7.4V) or a 6 cell (22.2V). Each cell is either charged or monitored by those little wires depending on the charger.

Single cell packs like those you pictured for 1/12 are single and there are no other packs in there to balance the one to. For these you just plug in the + and - as any other battery and charge it with a Lipo compatible charger. Even the old ICE or Check Point 1030 charger (with no balance function) works well on 1S packs.

The idea is that if one cell in the pack is undercharged then it will be overdischarged below 3.0V (the "safe " lower limit/cell) and potentially will puff or combust.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by For_the_win
Thanks you tube to the rescue...lol

Curious why was no one at norcal track who was running TC balancing. I didn't see anyone with the balancing accessory nor did they have the extra balancing wires And they used this type of battery

Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
I just bought that charger too. So it seems simple with that one. Other chargers seem hard to use.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Curious why was no one at norcal track who was running TC balancing. I didn't see anyone with the balancing accessory nor did they have the extra balancing wires And they used this type of battery

because is it not necessary to balance every time you charge
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by For_the_win
I just bought that charger too. So it seems simple with that one. Other chargers seem hard to use.
Right on

@AreCee

Thanks for the comment

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
because is it not necessary to balance every time you charge
Mr. Smoke How often and how can you tell when too?

Thanks

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 09-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

That's a matter of personal opinion . In theory , packs don't need to be balanced every time . Some say every 2nd or 3rd time should be balanced . I like to balance my batteries every time I charge ( by the theory : why not ? ) . On the other hand , my team boss ( a man with 20+ years of experience ) NEVER balances his packs , because he says "if a battery is good , it doesn't need to be balanced". He has a Robitronic Overloader 2 charger which doesn't even have a balancer and Robitronic 5000 packs , and he has no problems with them However , this I don't reccomend

Last edited by UrabusDenis; 09-19-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

I know they are different size, voltage

I want to know is does the battery get balanced without hooking up the accessory linkage?

And I guess what your telling me is that their are more cells in the 7.4 pack thus needs balancing so as long as I run the 1s nothing to balance

But just for educational purposes when one goes to charge the 7.4 do you need to hook up the accessory linkage to the battery and how when the battery only has a +/-

So basically how does balancing work for the packs most use in TC/Buggy

Thank you
In 7,4 V , the balance plug goes into the 2 mm little hole in the middle on one end and on the end it has a balancer connector which goes into the balancer on the charger . So with professional batteries ( with no wires ) you have 3 holes/wires : + , - and balance . During driving you don't use the balance hole . You will get this cable when buying most batteries . Hope you understand . Beware - you don't have to buy the TOP branded batteries . From experiences at my track , lot's of top branded and most expensive batteries gave their owners huge problems , with batteries puffing and even the manufacturer supplying the packs with solded + and - wires , which of course results in momental destruction of a very expensive pack . Team Orion eg. has great batteries at much more reasonable prices . From my experience , any EFRA/ROAR legal LiPO is a good LiPO
Old 09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This post has an attachment you should read.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/9674957-post6343.html
Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That's a matter of personal opinion . In theory , packs don't need to be balanced every time . Some say every 2nd or 3rd time should be balanced . I like to balance my batteries every time I charge ( by the theory : why not ? ) . On the other hand , my team boss ( a man with 20+ years of experience ) NEVER balances his packs , because he says "if a battery is good , it doesn't need to be balanced". He has a Robitronic Overloader 2 charger which doesn't even have a balancer and Robitronic 5000 packs , and he has no problems with them However , this I don't reccomend
This is utter rubbish. And remind me never to pit next to you guys as you charge your time bombs. The reason why you balance charge is to stop OVER CHARGING. When you over charge a cell, Lithium ion convert back to lithium metal which is a highly reactive species and likes to go BOOM like all alkaline metals.

Thankfully, here in Australia there are rules that control the charging of lipos at all events, charge rate of 1C and must be balanced charged using a lipo charger in lipo mode.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
And this, from the ROAR rule book is pretty good info as well.

8.3.2.10 General Information About Li-Poly Batteries:

and

8.3.2.10.2 There are six main root causes for lithium ion/polymer battery fires.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Thanks

In 7,4 V , the balance plug goes into the 2 mm little hole in the middle on one end and on the end it has a balancer connector which goes into the balancer on the charger . So with professional batteries ( with no wires ) you have 3 holes/wires : + , - and balance . During driving you don't use the balance hole . You will get this cable when buying most batteries . Hope you understand . Beware - you don't have to buy the TOP branded batteries . From experiences at my track , lot's of top branded and most expensive batteries gave their owners huge problems , with batteries puffing and even the manufacturer supplying the packs with solded + and - wires , which of course results in momental destruction of a very expensive pack . Team Orion eg. has great batteries at much more reasonable prices . From my experience , any EFRA/ROAR legal LiPO is a good LiPO
Thank you I'll look for that 3rd hole and watch someone do the balance thing

And I've just decided I will help promote 12th at my local track by getting a RC125.1 in the next month. I was allowed to race someone's TC in 17.5 and I'm sure I would have fun in the that class but I will race TC later

Hopefully I can generate some enthusiasm for an great old class

This means i can get just one revtech lipo to use for whole day...lol

What is the difference between the 60c and 28c like on this page

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...iw=818&bih=461

Not sure what amps to charge it yet or how long it takes?

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
This is utter rubbish. And remind me never to pit next to you guys as you charge your time bombs. The reason why you balance charge is to stop OVER CHARGING. When you over charge a cell, Lithium ion convert back to lithium metal which is a highly reactive species and likes to go BOOM like all alkaline metals.

Thankfully, here in Australia there are rules that control the charging of lipos at all events, charge rate of 1C and must be balanced charged using a lipo charger in lipo mode.
lol...I had no idea they are potential time bombs

So it is an charge thing not an discharge thing

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
And this, from the ROAR rule book is pretty good info as well.

8.3.2.10 General Information About Li-Poly Batteries:

and

8.3.2.10.2 There are six main root causes for lithium ion/polymer battery fires.
Thanks

I didn't know that I could get blown up or hurt with batteries ...lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.