Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to increase top end speed ? >

How to increase top end speed ?

How to increase top end speed ?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default How to increase top end speed ?

Hello,

In my races engines and ratio are fixed. We go around various tracks during the season , normally visiting same track twice in a season ( 4 tracks ,8 races).

I have noticed that when I came back to one particular track , after a particularly technical track where I had to do some changes , that my lap times were lower then previous times.

That got me thinking..... what changes in the setup of the car would slow it down speed wise ( let's assume that motor , tyres , driver skill and weather are not a factor , in order to focus on the car settings)

I figure toe in would affect it - probably more neutral would increase top speed - even if its not the right thing to do because of the rest of the track.

Any other thoughts ?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Reduce toe-in (on both front and rear) to the absolute minimum you need.

But don't forget... top speed is not always "true".

I mean... Give 2 cars, with exactly the same speed. The fastest one one out the turn will look like also "faster" on the straight.

If you're racing stock class, like 540 motor, also keep the whole transmission, as clean as possible.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Corner speed is probably where you're paying the price.

For a tight, technical track, you probably have your setup changed to get the maximum grip you can get.

On a more open track, you need corner speed, which is compromise between outright grip and stability.

As the saying goes, a loose car is a fast car. If you feel comfortable driving a car that requires less steering input to get around the corners on an open track, 9/10 times it will be faster through the corners than with a setup that you have to keep the wheel cranked over for, scrubbing the whole time.

For me, that's going to be more tuned with roll center and camber gain. Less camber gain in the rear, and a lower roll center in the front should get the car turned. More changes might be needed if you lack corner exit steering.

The faster you can get through the corners, the more speed you'll carry onto the straight, and ultimately, the higher the top speed you'll see on the straight.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

I think the corner speed is probably the main thing.

Assuming the track allows me to be full throttle most of the track with only some corners requiring a lift off the throttle and one corner requiring a bit of brakes , would a front one way possibly allow me some more speed out the corner ?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

I would imagine a one-way would give you way more steering than you're ready for any time you're off throttle, and any point you might need brakes would be very inconsistent.

I haven't used, or found the need to use, a one-way in a very long time.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gimpex
Hello,

In my races engines and ratio are fixed. We go around various tracks during the season , normally visiting same track twice in a season ( 4 tracks ,8 races).

I have noticed that when I came back to one particular track , after a particularly technical track where I had to do some changes , that my lap times were lower then previous times.

That got me thinking..... what changes in the setup of the car would slow it down speed wise ( let's assume that motor , tyres , driver skill and weather are not a factor , in order to focus on the car settings)

I figure toe in would affect it - probably more neutral would increase top speed - even if its not the right thing to do because of the rest of the track.

Any other thoughts ?
maybe dual rate---u need more steering with a track with more u turns than a track with less u turns.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

The amount of speed you have comming into a turn and going out is going to effect lap times. That often used premise "slow in, fast out" holds true here as it dose in motorsports. There are adjustment that can be made to the car to make it handle entering, midcorner and exit. But it ultimately comes down to driving style.