Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master" >

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tron
It's not easy to find the Xenon front end in the USA
That was one of the few bits I didn't need to go overseas for!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a bump for this kit
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The humble RM01 did awesome at Reflex Racing's new track in Houston, RSD Speedway! Was the final round of our State series. I was able to place the RM01 second on the grid for the triple A mains. After a grueling race long three car battle for the lead in A1 thanks to some lucky breaks I won! A2 one of the other fast guys had a couple hard collisions and pulled off early. The other threat picked a less than ideal tire combination and struggled with his car but finished. I was able to lap the field and with two wins sat out the third round.

All day long the RM01 generated tons of interest given how well it performed on track. People where blown away with its simple design and low grade materials. But the bottom line is this car works! I have the standard, fiberglass rm01 with just a few key upgrades. The center shock has been upgraded with a hot bodies, side shock is the alloy Tamiya, carbon rear axle, alloy motor pod, carbon old school front end and 1/8" axles that allow me to run Jaco black front and orange rear tires.

Hopefully after the great performance a few more RM01's will be headed to Texas!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert

Hopefully after the great performance a few more RM01's will be headed to Texas!
Nice
Is that on Carpet ?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Nice
Is that on Carpet ?
Yes, new carpet track on concrete floor, some seams and bumps. Strict use of only SXT3.0.

Traction was good with about 60 race entries. sedans and F1's had to adjust their setups to avoid traction rolling.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer robert
Yes, new carpet track on concrete floor, some seams and bumps. Strict use of only SXT3.0.

Traction was good with about 60 race entries. sedans and F1's had to adjust their setups to avoid traction rolling.
Good work
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Is the RM01X competitive against CRC's, Top Rebel's, Xray's and such? Is there anything that needs to be done besides the front axle swap to run Jaco/CRC foams?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mechintosh
Is the RM01X competitive against CRC's, Top Rebel's, Xray's and such? Is there anything that needs to be done besides the front axle swap to run Jaco/CRC foams?
Local club racing and smaller regional events, yes the RM01 is very competitive. Huge international events, probably not.

Also, yes the only item needed to mount jacos is the option 1/8" front axles. In the rear a part gets removed and allows the 3 screw mounting of Jaco wheels without purchasing anything else.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mechintosh
I was able to mount CRC pro cuts on my RM01X after only changing to the optional 1/8" axles and removing the adapters for Tamiya wheels on the rear axle. I was told by another RM01 racer that you can use Jaco tires. However, the inside diameter is smaller so you have to cut a little off the top of the king pin for clearance. You may also need to trim some off of the arm too.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Has anyone tried to mount rubber tires?

Just thinking out loud...
Old 11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Getting there with my RM01X. I'm pretty happy about my chassis edges...check the blue hue in the last pic below, not so sure about anything else with this kit as it is my first 12th and the build is non-standard so far compared to a normal 12th scale.

Newb 12th questions to follow:

1. Servo - this kit is clearly not setup for a 12th scale servo. The servo mounts don't work with my KO 951...I know I should just tape it down and shoe goo it. Am I missing something?

2. What is the best way to lay out the electronics and balance the car? Do I need to balance the motor in the pod? Is left/right balance what needs to be done or is fore/aft also done?

3. For tires, I got Jaco yellow/blacks for TQ in Chino. Do I need to cut them down before I run or can I just run them as is while I practice and learn the characteristics of a 12th scale?

I am going to layout the electronics and finish the servo location in the next few days. Thanks to all for your help in advance.

Brett

Pics below:

Old 11-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like the servo output shaft would be closer to center if you flipped it over. If not just tape and shoe goo. For layout ideas look at the first few posts in this thread. Redbullfixx posted pictures of his very clean layouts. For balance I just get the complete car close by moving the esc and receiver around till it balances.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My scratch-built project has hit the wall so I am 99% sure I will buy an RM01...

I know everyone is in love with the X and I am sure if I was trying to seriously race it I would get one... but I've never actually raced 1/12 before, so this is very much a toe in the water/fun exercise. I don't expect to up the pointy end of the field, regardless of what car I purchase.

From re-reading most of the tread the main hop-ups to buy are the alloy motor mount and the better friction roll damper?

I've already wasted a ton of spare cash on the scratch-build so trying to get a car and keep the missus on side
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
My scratch-built project has hit the wall so I am 99% sure I will buy an RM01...

I know everyone is in love with the X and I am sure if I was trying to seriously race it I would get one... but I've never actually raced 1/12 before, so this is very much a toe in the water/fun exercise. I don't expect to up the pointy end of the field, regardless of what car I purchase.

From re-reading most of the tread the main hop-ups to buy are the alloy motor mount and the better friction roll damper?

I've already wasted a ton of spare cash on the scratch-build so trying to get a car and keep the missus on side
The standard RM on outdoor surface is great, kit center & roll shocks are ok
Kit tires are very easy to drive on all surface, option front have more life

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Definitely will flip the servo or use servo tape and goo to mount it in the centerline if the chassis. I played with it yesterday after posting the pics above and agree the shoe goo way will be best.

I'm heading to TQ on Wednesday with it to do a test run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.