R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #961
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tamiya did a pretty neat thing with the rear axle of the RM01. The stub axles on each side of the rear axle are held on with 3 screws, the circle of the three screws is exactly the same as industry standard 12th scale wheels. Simply remove the stub axle on each side and re-use the three screws to mount your standard wheels. The offset of Jaco wheels is perfect, CRC and BSR type wheels makes the rear wider.

Black front yellow rear is very common for stock 12th scale on carpet but double check what works for other racers at your local track.

Gearing may be different depending on the diameter of your new tires. If your new jacos are smaller than your used RM01 tires you will need a larger pinion to keep the roll out the same.
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #962
Tech Master

Paul has fitted a Xenon front end on the RM01 and its really flying (thanks to Dave.. There is more details on our blog here in what must be the most exhaustive review ever for a 1/12th

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/10/ta...ew-part-4.html

I've gone and bought a RM01 myself now

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #963
Tech Addict

im working on changing the diff/spur
i have pick up 1/8 aps ceramic dif balls but not sure what grease to use
the only grease i have is aw grease tamiya ...or white auto grease is that all right to use?
i did use masking tape with 1/4 bearing and cut off extra and kimberg 78 spur
i have a 13.5 binky so for me im thinking a 41 spur or would that be too low (for a newbie)?
thanks
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #964
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Paul has fitted a Xenon front end on the RM01 and its really flying (thanks to Dave.. There is more details on our blog here in what must be the most exhaustive review ever for a 1/12th

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/10/ta...ew-part-4.html

I've gone and bought a RM01 myself now
It is disappointing to read the mods required just to fit small diameter tires to the RM. I don't understand why Tamiya wouldn't design the car to be more accommodating...

Stock front end requires filing down (or replacement) and after reading the blog, the rear also requires some filing...
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #965
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
It is disappointing to read the mods required just to fit small diameter tires to the RM. I don't understand why Tamiya wouldn't design the car to be more accommodating...

Stock front end requires filing down (or replacement) and after reading the blog, the rear also requires some filing...
True, but the Tamiya is designed to be more scale in appearance with the Prototype bodies by Tamiya

Fred Medel drove an RM-01X in 12th Stock at iic this year with a total of 2 sets of Jaco Black/Yellow tires, no issues, and that is on the stickiest track conditions one could ever encounter

I trued them to 45.5mm Rr, 43.5mm Fr
The car works great, is smooth and easy to drive with all kit parts on those tires, frankly I was stunned by the performance level that car achieved in conditions that had a lot of cars flipping over

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #966
Tech Fanatic

I personally like the RM01 over the 12R5.2, cause of the simplicity of the car and especially the front suspension.
To bad you can't use the tires as long as on the other 1/12 cars, that's why i bought the 12R5.2 to be able to use the tires much longer.
But i would switch back imediately if i could solve the tire problem.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #967
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
I personally like the RM01 over the 12R5.2, cause of the simplicity of the car and especially the front suspension.
To bad you can't use the tires as long as on the other 1/12 cars, that's why i bought the 12R5.2 to be able to use the tires much longer.
But i would switch back imediately if i could solve the tire problem.
Did you modify the front suspension yet like in Paul's post below? Or his blog he also modified the rear suspension to fit smaller diameter tires to battle grip roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lomas View Post
My RM01X arrived today. Very nice build. Going to fit a dynamic strut front end on before the UK nationals start, but running the kit front at first.

Modded the steering blocks by taking 1.5mm off the underside so I can run smaller tyres. I now have to dremel the same amount off the top of the kingpin though as it rubs the inside of the Jaco wheels. That's a job for tomorrow.

Also, found the chassis drilled to take a small servo, so my futaba 9650 has gone in.

All in all, a very nice build. Centre shock and alloy 'big bore' damper tube were both very nice bits of kit. Fitted 80t 64dp spur after reaming the centre out to 10mm. Used a 6x10 bearing and its a perfect fit. Shouldn't wear out like the tape mod when using higher powered motors. Only let down is the body posts which won't tighten down.

Now have to wait 2 weeks before I can hit the track. See how it measures up to my Rev7.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #968
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Did you modify the front suspension yet like in Paul's post below? Or his blog he also modified the rear suspension to fit smaller diameter tires to battle grip roll...
I haven't done any modifications yet, perhaps it may not be possible as i have the regular RM-01 but full-option and not the RM-01X version.

Last edited by addicted2blue; 10-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #969
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Tron,

Get the car, it is blast to drive and is sneaky fast. You wouldn't think it but it competes with the other raced out 12th scales. Panda TQed and won with his at TQ last weekend.

Bensi
back9monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #970
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by back9monsta View Post
Tron,

Get the car, it is blast to drive and is sneaky fast. You wouldn't think it but it competes with the other raced out 12th scales. Panda TQed and won with his at TQ last weekend.

Bensi
Dammit Bensi! I'm doing everything I can to talk myself out of it!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #971
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have an RM01x that is still in the shrink wrap. I'm willing to barter it for a CRC 1/10th scale car (LE, SE, Gen X10) with the slider rear pod. Anyone wanna do some trading?

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #972
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've got a new built never run Toyota Tom's RM-01 for sale. Let me know if you're interested.

Tamiya RM-01 Toyota Tom's 84C
Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #973
Tech Apprentice

Even though I've modded the rear end to take smaller tyres, I didn't need to run small tyres at the weekend to be competitive. Ran 43mm fronts and 45mm rears all weekend until the final on the Sunday. It was then 41.5 and 43.5.

I placed 6th in 13.5 on Saturday, after qualifying 6th. I missed out on practice after a mistake first time onto the straight with full power left the car in 2 pieces! Only breakage was the centre pivot plastic. It did leave me on the back foot all day though. Should have done better in the final but a silly mistake dropped me out of second and left me last half a lap behind the next car. So not a bad result considering.

Sunday I wasn't meant to be running the car, but my Rev8 had a terminal argument on the same corner as the Tamiya the day before. I didn't do a full qualifying run apart from Round 1 so ended up misplaced in the C final with Kevin Creaser fresh back from the IIC. So we just had some fun racing each other. Outright pace should have had the car near the back of the A though.

Yes, the car has mods, but the only expensive mod is the Xenon front. When I add up the cost so far, it's still cheaper than the majority of 1/12 cars in the UK! And the Xenon front is rapidly becoming a must have for Associated drivers over here.
Paul Lomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #974
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I have an RM01x that is still in the shrink wrap. I'm willing to barter it for a CRC 1/10th scale car (LE, SE, Gen X10) with the slider rear pod. Anyone wanna do some trading?
pm me how much paypal you'll trade
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #975
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lomas View Post
...Xenon front...
It's not easy to find the Xenon front end in the USA!

RM01X is on the way. Now that I have ordered one, I'm sure Mrs. Tamiya will discontinue it.