R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

From the looks of the hubs, it seems that it will be using a proprietary wheel with a hex hub like Kawada. However the hex looks smaller about the same size as the old Kyosho 1/12. This might be the source I need to put a ball diff on my vintage Kyosho.

Now the one question I have is what body will Tamiya release this chassis with? Or will they release without a body as a "Pro" version?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

looks good!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #78
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
From the looks of the hubs, it seems that it will be using a proprietary wheel with a hex hub like Kawada. However the hex looks smaller about the same size as the old Kyosho 1/12. This might be the source I need to put a ball diff on my vintage Kyosho.

Now the one question I have is what body will Tamiya release this chassis with? Or will they release without a body as a "Pro" version?
3-bolt, or hex, both work.
Look more closely

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
3-bolt, or hex, both work.
Look more closely
Okay, I see.

So would they also release it as a 1/12 GT like the Yokomo GT500 or the Kawada RGT with mini type wheels?

If they do and if we all can settle on using 7.2v/7.4v batteries with brushed motors and electronics, this might be the thing to save onroad. It could be the "Short Course" success story onroad is waiting for.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Quote:
Okay, I see.

So would they also release it as a 1/12 GT like the Yokomo GT500 or the Kawada RGT with mini type wheels?

If they do and if we all can settle on using 7.2v/7.4v batteries with brushed motors and electronics, this might be the thing to save onroad. It could be the "Short Course" success story onroad is waiting for.
I like the 12th GT kits from Yokomo & Kawada, haven't heard anything about Tamiya going that route yet ?

400+ entries at iic last week.
On-Road doesn't need to be saved.

Just show up and run, 12th scale preferably

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Will this actually fit a 1S lip ok?

It's just the Life battery they recommend is @20mm shorter than a 1s lipo isn't it? Plus narrower?

Anyone any idea if there will be battery adaptors, as without it it will be a struggle to race won't it?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #82
Tech Initiate

I must have one of these . I am wondering what bodyshells Tamiya will bring in the future, a Peugeot 908 an an AUDI R18, made to the same standards we are used from Tamiya, would be really nice!!!
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #83
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I must have one of these . I am wondering what bodyshells Tamiya will bring in the future, a Peugeot 908 an an AUDI R18, made to the same standards we are used from Tamiya, would be really nice!!!
All Tamiya needs to do is put out a few really nice scale looking bodies and adapters for Mini type wheels a la F103GT and a new class of onroad will be born. It fits Tamiya's method of marketing and production and as expected start a new class of racing in which others will follow.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #84
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
All Tamiya needs to do is put out a few really nice scale looking bodies and adapters for Mini type wheels a la F103GT and a new class of onroad will be born.
I'd buy that

More pics of the Toyota here.

When will Tamiya begin to show pictures from the Hobby Show?

I Am GreatDane c'',)
IAmGreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #85
Suspended

Quote:
All Tamiya needs to do is put out a few really nice scale looking bodies and adapters for Mini type wheels a la F103GT and a new class of onroad will be born. It fits Tamiya's method of marketing and production and as expected start a new class of racing in which others will follow.
Being as the going price appears to be in the $315 range, typically tamiya-high, I just don't see how these will "start a new class."
If you guys want to get something started, 1/12th GT, you might want to check out Mardave cars. Quite popular already over in the UK, comparatively inexpensive, and there's TONS of sedan body options. http://www.mardave.co.uk/
kaycerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #86
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I love how people try to justify spending their money! On-road does not need to be saved. I'll buy one just because I Love Tamiya Models.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #87
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaycerc View Post
Being as the going price appears to be in the $315 range, typically tamiya-high, I just don't see how these will "start a new class."
If you guys want to get something started, 1/12th GT, you might want to check out Mardave cars. Quite popular already over in the UK, comparatively inexpensive, and there's TONS of sedan body options. http://www.mardave.co.uk/
There's no way it will sell for that much especially for what it is.(mostly plastic) That price is most likely the MSRP which is usually always high. I expect the street price to be be about half that. It shouldn't be priced any higher than an average Mini kit.

1/12th GT is already available from Yokomo and Kawada who are somewhat "boutique" brands not available in the U.S. The Tamiya version brought to the U.S. could bring that class to the fore front and may spark more interest stateside in that class.

And if you argue that Tamiya is not all that well distributed, the same can be said almost 20years ago with the TA-01 TC and look what happened from there.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #88
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
I'd buy that

More pics of the Toyota here.
The body set looks really nice. A couple of friends of mine back in the days had the Toyota Tom's 84C with a Mabuchi RS540 Black Motor Sprint (red endbell) and the Porsche 956 with the RS540 Black Motor Endurance (blue endbell). Both were sporting the wiper style speed control.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

RedBullFiXX, do you have any photos of your original kit?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #89
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour93 View Post
The body set looks really nice. A couple of friends of mine back in the days had the Toyota Tom's 84C with a Mabuchi RS540 Black Motor Sprint (red endbell) and the Porsche 956 with the RS540 Black Motor Endurance (blue endbell). Both were sporting the wiper style speed control.

RedBullFiXX, do you have any photos of your original kit?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #90
Suspended

Quote:
There's no way it will sell for that much especially for what it is.(mostly plastic) That price is most likely the MSRP which is usually always high. I expect the street price to be be about half that. It shouldn't be priced any higher than an average Mini kit.

1/12th GT is already available from Yokomo and Kawada who are somewhat "boutique" brands not available in the U.S. The Tamiya version brought to the U.S. could bring that class to the fore front and may spark more interest stateside in that class.

And if you argue that Tamiya is not all that well distributed, the same can be said almost 20years ago with the TA-01 TC and look what happened from there.
That wasn't the MSRP price, that was the street price, and when was the last time a tamiya wasn't overpriced compared to the rest of the market?
kaycerc is offline   Reply With Quote