R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #751
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
I think i've found a solution to use the tamiya wheels and tires and still have plenty of ride height while you can use the tires very close to the wheel itself.
Still need to verify this by building the car to a normal ride height of 4mm or higher/lower to be sure this is possible.
I did try something but still needs to clear this out so i can be sure of it
I will keep you guys informed about this
Waiting with baited breath...
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #752
Tech Fanatic

Wel as i said i did try somerthing to be able to use tamiya tires/wheels a little bit longer and still maintain the usual ride height. Therefor you need the F104 metal front upright and the RD special king pin set, when using a 2mm spacer on top of the metal upright you are able to true dwn the front tires to a minimum size of 40mm.
When you do this you have the minimum ride height of 3mm.
When using the RD special king pin set you need to place the front spring on top of the metal front upright or spacer. Depending on the ride height.
When you want to try this you still need to modify the front suspension arm by cutting a small piece of triangle away, this needs to be done otherwise the front metal upright will bind up when turning into a corner.
Hope this makes any sence to you guys :-)
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #753
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for that info. I think Radio Active and myself will be looking into those parts for a project we are currently working on.
Test Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #754
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Oh My

wow...that rig is just beautiful and is what 1/12 scale should be.

Well done...placing an order!
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #755
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey everyone, I'm selling my spare RM01 with almost every hop-up. Never ran once, no electronics even installed.

Tamiya 1/12 Scale RM01 - Full Hop Up Options
TamiyaMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #756
Tech Elite

Default 2013 TCS

I've a question for those that have built and run this kit.

I'm looking to add a second class to TCS this year, and 1/12 could make sense, with my primary class being F1.

I see in the 1/12 TCS rules, they allow any wheel, any foam. (read non Tamiya) I'm really not interested in retrofitting non Tamiya tires and wheels. I was somewhat disappointed that the didn't make everyone run all Tamiya stuff. Run the car as designed, with the wheels and tires designed for this chassis.

So....

How much hurt am I going to be in if I run this chassis with some reasonable hop-ups, but with Tamiya tires and wheels - keep the geometry as design intended. I ran 1/12 exclusively a few years back - always been my favorite class, but the tires just got nutty. One run and pitch them kind of turned me off.

This looks like an awesome car, I would love to own it and race it, I'd just like to run it as designed. I know some agree in allowing any tire / wheel. Don't care to get in that argument with anyone, it's just not where I want to go. If I'm going to play the tires game again, I'll get a truer and a CRC chassis for that.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #757
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post

I'm looking to add a second class to TCS this year, and 1/12 could make sense, with my primary class being F1.

I see in the 1/12 TCS rules, they allow any wheel, any foam. (read non Tamiya) I'm really not interested in retrofitting non Tamiya tires and wheels. I was somewhat disappointed that the didn't make everyone run all Tamiya stuff. Run the car as designed, with the wheels and tires designed for this chassis.

So....

How much hurt am I going to be in if I run this chassis with some reasonable hop-ups, but with Tamiya tires and wheels - keep the geometry as design intended. I ran 1/12 exclusively a few years back - always been my favorite class, but the tires just got nutty. One run and pitch them kind of turned me off.

This looks like an awesome car, I would love to own it and race it, I'd just like to run it as designed. I know some agree in allowing any tire / wheel. Don't care to get in that argument with anyone, it's just not where I want to go. If I'm going to play the tires game again, I'll get a truer and a CRC chassis for that.
The only real problem is the rear hubs that you have to use for Tamiya wheels are very heavy,the hubs are not used when you use non Tamiya wheels.
Only TCS in America allows wheels other than Tamiya. I think American TCS really killed this car by allowing different wheels and bodies. TCS in America for the RM-01 isnt really a Tamiya class,it has none of the appeal of a TCS class and really is a joke.
My two cents
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #758
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Rm01

Quote:

So....

Actually the rules state Tamiya tires only go to the tcs site and look for the link to the rules not the one that is listed the car works well with kit rear and option front tires as far as hop ups the alum motor mount,pitch and roll dampners and springs that should get you going.
subaru73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #759
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:

So....

The TCS America rules have been amended for 2013 and now allow only Tamiya tires and wheels. That said the car works well, as proven by a local racer (D Berger) that I believe drove a box stock RM01 to a class win at the Tamiya America track last year?
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #760
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
I think American TCS really killed this car by allowing different wheels and bodies. TCS in America for the RM-01 isnt really a Tamiya class,it has none of the appeal of a TCS class and really is a joke.
My two cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru73 View Post
Actually the rules state Tamiya tires only go to the tcs site and look for the link to the rules not the one that is listed the car works well with kit rear and option front tires as far as hop ups the alum motor mount,pitch and roll dampners and springs that should get you going.
Celt:
Tamiya Tires and wheels are required for TCS from 2013 on
In the first year (2012) it was thought that getting 12th scale racers on board would be easier with less restrictive rules

Baka, do you race TCS in the USA ?

12th and RM-01 participation are growing in TCS
In 2013, I'm sure it will be even more successful

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #761
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Celt:
Tamiya Tires and wheels are required for TCS from 2013 on
In the first year (2012) it was thought that getting 12th scale racers on board would be easier with less restrictive rulesl
If this is the case than I respectfully retract my concerns.

I think limiting the tire to Tamiya offerings makes the class much more attractive.

Thanks guys for clearing that up.

Stan Garvin
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #762
Tech Champion

Quote:
If this is the case than I respectfully retract my concerns.

I think limiting the tire to Tamiya offerings makes the class much more attractive.

Thanks guys for clearing that up.
Nice thing about Tamiya kit & option Foams, they work well everywhere

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #763
Tech Champion

Hey RedBull,

When you use the AE side springs on the RM-01 do you crimp them so they fit on the retainers better, or do you use AE retainers instead of the Tamiya ones? If the former how do you ensure that you don't warp the spring when crimping it?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #764
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
Hey RedBull,

When you use the AE side springs on the RM-01 do you crimp them so they fit on the retainers better, or do you use AE retainers instead of the Tamiya ones? If the former how do you ensure that you don't warp the spring when crimping it?
I use a drop of ca on the spring if its loose
It's easier to keep the spring straight & square this way
Just a tiny twist and the spring is easy to change

Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #765
Tech Champion

Thanks.