Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linger
I may come out of retirement just to run this.
Any pics of the body? I imagine Tamiya may raise the bar on what's expected of a 1/12th scale body.
More information will be release at the Tokyo Hobby Show next month.

Here is the box from my original Toyota Toms Car
Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Anyone know if it will use the standard 1/12th tires?
I didn't know there were non-standard 1/12 tires.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I didn't know there were non-standard 1/12 tires.

Knowing Tamiya, they'll invent them.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I believe the rear axles have a hex AND a multi-screw setup
Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

The pics look like the same wheels that used to be on the Tamiya 1/12th Porsche 956 which were a bit larger than today's 1/12th wheels.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
The pics look like the same wheels that used to be on the Tamiya 1/12th Porsche 956 which were a bit larger than today's 1/12th wheels.
Just measured the wheels on my old kit. 37mm dia front & rear.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Champion

Odd...the ones on my Porsche looked bigger...I guess they weren't. If that is the case they should be pretty close in size as modern 1/12th rims are 38mm
Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Odd...the ones on my Porsche looked bigger...I guess they weren't. If that is the case they should be pretty close in size as modern 1/12th rims are 38mm
Still run a Racing Master,CRC tires fit nice,only problem is the front wheel. Rear have that small hex and can be used on most F103 tire truers,The fronts I have to use a multiy arbor from years ago made for 1/10 pan cars. I dont know of a current arbor that wil fit the front as they use huge bearings.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by linger
I may cum out of retirement just to run this.
Any pics of the body? I imagine Tamiya may raise the bar on what's expected of a 1/12th scale body.
The body should look like this:

It's not so much raising the bar on 1/12th shells, rather going back to when they looked more like the real thing. The wing mounting will be interesting. The original has a separate rear wing, from a time when they were allowed in 1/12th, and it was mounted in the rear body post tubes which was pretty common back then. Looks like the rear wing will still be separate as it looks like they have similar mountings on the rear of the pod the same as they use to mount wings on their F1 cars.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Love how the main discussion has come down to the technical reasons for the front end, but Tamiyas choice is a lot more simpler than any discussion over different types. The front end on this car is exactly the same parts Tamiya used back on the original Porsche 956/Toyota Toms back in the 80s, and if it does the job of holding the front end up why change it.

Considering Tamiya isn't expecting this car to be winning major championships, after all look at the moulded plastic rear pod and no centre oil damper, then a simple sliding kingpin front end works fine and already having the design makes it an easy cheap choice compared with developing a new front end.

The RM-01 isn't designed as a top end racer by any means, after all Tamiya have been successful with their F1 chassis with sliding kingpin front ends, plastic motor mounts and no damping, while giving everyone the chance to spend even more money upgrading these parts or buying high spec versions if wanted. It makes it a hopefully cheap way of introducing 1/12th scale to a wider audience and creates a simple 1/12th scale car ideal for the TCS without having all the more complex tuning options that a high end 1/12th scale has.

As for the wheels, those look like they are the same as the original Toms wheels, so industry standard 1/12th wheels aren't going to fit on it either. Good for those racing in a Tamiya "Racing master" class as trued and glued choices limited to whatever Tamiya produce, but doesn't stop anyone going back to gluing their own donuts.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Probably the best thing to happen with 1/12 in a long time (apart from lipos/brushless). I can see there is a big push towards scale looking cars that are not stupidly fast and complicated.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Love how the main discussion has come down to the technical reasons for the front end
Most comments in an competitive racing based forum is to understand what is up and coming and even an improvement to the latest. So I guess the thread could have been started in more an "hobby" level presence than it was a competitive to other cars on the market

And no offence to you, cause I like the innocence of something to have just fun with or as an entry level 12th scale car, I just know that most will go with what is an improvement in adjust-ability and that was my motive for commenting not to dis their new car coming out

Also the double wish bone is actually not that complicated, it just allows for different role centers Like TC and other car classes do

Honestly I'm not so sure that Tamiya doesn't actually have their own double wishbone in the works as they are very innovative correct?

And doesn't Tamiya read these posts and would like feedback? Feedback to their designs is what generates interest and further car improvements! I have not been negative just questioning on topic if this is a move forward or backward nothing else

Later

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Probably the best thing to happen with 1/12 in a long time (apart from lipos/brushless). I can see there is a big push towards scale looking cars that are not stupidly fast and complicated.
Do you agree that this release is for more entry level enthusiasts and meant not to be competitive?

I mean it's called the "Racing Master"...lol

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 09-17-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
Most comments in an competitive racing based forum is to understand what is up and coming and even an improvement to the latest. So I guess the thread could have been started in more an "hobby" level presence than it was a competitive to other cars on the market
I suppose I am one of very few people who would notice the original front end, having had one the first time round in the mid 80s, so I suppose I'm the only person that it would be obvious that Tamiya have just dug out the old mould for the front end parts of the new car, rather than make a conscious decision to go with an old school front end. It just amazed me how much discussion was concentrated over the merits of the different types of front ends as if Tamiya had deliberately designed an old school front end.

I just consider more important the plastic rear end and that after buying the kit you will have to pick up the oil shock and aluminium motor mount upgrades if you plan on putting any serious power.

Also the double wish bone is actually not that complicated, it just allows for different role centers Like TC and other car classes do

Honestly I'm not so sure that Tamiya doesn't actually have their own double wishbone in the works as they are very innovative correct?
Tamiya aren't really innovative, I would describe their approach to anything as 'different', just look at the TA06 which is a cross of the HPI RS4, Pro3 and the CAT SX. Tamiya have only started being successful on the track when they started producing their own versions of other cars. The F104 is seen as innovative being different to what most people had seen, in reality it was a narrow version of the old Tech Racing TF108 and is only competitive when racing in its own narrow class.

Tamiya releasing a 1/12th chassis is a surprise, and it's hard to work out what Tamiya are thinking. On the one hand the basic Racing Master chassis would make an interesting class in the TCS using the 380/LiFe combination, and is a good way into normal 1/12th scale classes with the simpler chassis design, but Tamiya have also built serious competitive cars in other classes so could we see a Pro version in the future with a carbon chassis and aluminium pod that can fit standard 1/12th wheels.

Do you agree that this release is for more entry level enthusiasts and meant not to be competitive?

I mean it's called the "Racing Master"...lol
This version is very much an entry level car.
The term "Racing Master" is what Tamiya have called all their 1/12th scale fibreglass chassis cars. The Mk1 and Mk2 RMs were overcomplicated, but since then they were all simpler designs that were targeted at first time 1/12th scale racers. The original Toyota Tom's, the Racing Master Mk6, had one single adjustment to adjust the handling balance, and one adjustment to remove tweak from the chassis. Nice and simple for the beginner, it was cheap to buy and easy to drive but never as fast as the high end cars.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I suppose I am one of very few people who would notice the original front end, having had one the first time round in the mid 80s, so I suppose I'm the only person that it would be obvious that Tamiya have just dug out the old mould for the front end parts of the new car, rather than make a conscious decision to go with an old school front end. It just amazed me how much discussion was concentrated over the merits of the different types of front ends as if Tamiya had deliberately designed an old school front end.

I just consider more important the plastic rear end and that after buying the kit you will have to pick up the oil shock and aluminium motor mount upgrades if you plan on putting any serious power.

Tamiya aren't really innovative, I would describe their approach to anything as 'different', just look at the TA06 which is a cross of the HPI RS4, Pro3 and the CAT SX. Tamiya have only started being successful on the track when they started producing their own versions of other cars. The F104 is seen as innovative being different to what most people had seen, in reality it was a narrow version of the old Tech Racing TF108 and is only competitive when racing in its own narrow class.

Tamiya releasing a 1/12th chassis is a surprise, and it's hard to work out what Tamiya are thinking. On the one hand the basic Racing Master chassis would make an interesting class in the TCS using the 380/LiFe combination, and is a good way into normal 1/12th scale classes with the simpler chassis design, but Tamiya have also built serious competitive cars in other classes so could we see a Pro version in the future with a carbon chassis and aluminium pod that can fit standard 1/12th wheels.

This version is very much an entry level car.
The term "Racing Master" is what Tamiya have called all their 1/12th scale fibreglass chassis cars. The Mk1 and Mk2 RMs were overcomplicated, but since then they were all simpler designs that were targeted at first time 1/12th scale racers. The original Toyota Tom's, the Racing Master Mk6, had one single adjustment to adjust the handling balance, and one adjustment to remove tweak from the chassis. Nice and simple for the beginner, it was cheap to buy and easy to drive but never as fast as the high end cars.
Someone today said I was being argumentative regarding the Tamiya and the whole ft end's in the 12th class discussion. I thought I was just suprised for this to a serious contender regarding the "Old school ft end "and presented my opinion in as honest and straight forward way as possible. If I have offended anyone or put anyone off please accept my apology It was not in the slightest what I intended. I just have an unusually high enthusiasm for the 12th scale sport and sometimes express my curiosity in questioning and contemplating the new or old 12th scale stuff. Clearly I need to race 12th very soon...lol

But regardless of my unique perspective everyone who responded did so in an appropriate and ultimately informative way. Thank you

Also as much as I am a more high level driver of 12th I indeed think for 12th to return more at the race tracks perhaps a car like this "racing master" is what we need to get people involved without too much investment so I'm glad this Tamiya thread was posted by RBF

Take care and thank you all for satisfying my curiosity with all the questions I have asked and for giving me great if not perfect answers

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 09-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The F104 is seen as innovative being different to what most people had seen, in reality it was a narrow version of the old Tech Racing TF108 and is only competitive when racing in its own narrow class.
Too true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.