Wiki Posts
Search

Asphalt tires, decent practice tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Asphalt tires, decent practice tires

I am looking for a suggestion on some good rubber touring car tires for practice on a asphalt track? It is just a parking lot with a track laid out on it.

I know I could go with tires like Sorex but was wondering if there was a slightly cheaper tire that I would not feel as bad burning up. I know the Sorex will handle better but a decent handling tire could be good also for those days you are just out running laps working on hitting marks and so forth. It just sucks spend $30 on tires and almost going through them in one day.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Sweep EXP 36's
Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sweep exp40 tires. $25 a set that will last the whole summer, with all the traction you need !!!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would go with sweep QTS tires. They last a bit longer than the EXPs. Also Solaris and Muchmore make some good ones.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I am looking for a suggestion on some good rubber touring car tires for practice on a asphalt track? It is just a parking lot with a track laid out on it.

I know I could go with tires like Sorex but was wondering if there was a slightly cheaper tire that I would not feel as bad burning up. I know the Sorex will handle better but a decent handling tire could be good also for those days you are just out running laps working on hitting marks and so forth. It just sucks spend $30 on tires and almost going through them in one day.
I have four sets of tires....One muchmore, Two sweeps, and one Solaris. All in good shape, LOW wear. You can see the lines still in the muchmores. All four sets for $40 cant beat that.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-like-new.html
Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Sweeps are a good tire, reasonable performance for a good price.

An example of pricing, you may find them cheaper elsewhere though.
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=14830

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks everyone! Just getting back into TC and now I know of some more tires to look for.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Sweep exp40 tires. $25 a set that will last the whole summer, with all the traction you need !!!!!
ALL SUMMER LONG, ON ASPHALT????? you have to be dreaming or thinking of that indoor carpet that looks like asphalt. I use Sorex and or Sweep and would be lucky to get more than 1 meeting out of a set. Sweep EXP will degrade faster than Sweep old compound or Sorex in my experience.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
ALL SUMMER LONG, ON ASPHALT????? you have to be dreaming or thinking of that indoor carpet that looks like asphalt. I use Sorex and or Sweep and would be lucky to get more than 1 meeting out of a set. Sweep EXP will degrade faster than Sweep old compound or Sorex in my experience.

Maybe you're using the wrong compound tires.

I got 8 race days [2 practices, 3 quals, and a main each day] out of a set of Sweep EXP 36's, with a .2 drop off throughout their life, running boosted 17.5. That's nearly 5 hours of track time!

Rough surfaces, too soft of a compound for track temp, or very aggressive driving style will wear tires out faster than a smooth driving style on a relatively smooth surface with the proper compound.

I've gotten good tire life out of just about every brand currently available, and EXPs sure aren't the worst when it comes to wear.