R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #16
Tech Adept

With the heats and mains at 5 mins for stock racing right now, the batteries provide just enought punch so the car feels just as fast in the beginning to the end, if the races were increased say one min. you would notice a drop in performance for the last 30 seconds.

One thing i have always been a fan of is triple A mains, so it gives everyone a chance to win if something happened in one of the mains.

Mod on the other hand, there are still people dumping so i can't see how you can increase the time of the races when factory drives dump with time left on the clock, but now with 3600's coming along maybe all that will chance.
Dhartman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jack Smash
I dont think we should go longer in modified, it would definately start a battery war which would drive up costs. If anyone raced dirt oval in the late '80s early '90s, you know what I'm talking about. I really don't want to spend over $120 for a battery pack again.
DITTO!! Nothing like running your Dominator with 7cell 1700 SCE's and a 12 turn for 4 mins and pedaling it the whole way praying you wouldn't dump! Oh, and only running that $100.00 battery once per day! And don't even start me up on the money I wasted on those Piece O Chit Panasonic P-170's. By far the most wasted money I ever spent on RC in 16 yrs. I can see maybe running races for 6 mins and not letting it get out of control but if you go over that then pull out your wallets for those batteries again! It has been so nice over the past several years racing and not having to gear for run time but gearing for the track and motor you run. When I started racing we ran 4 mins with 1200 batts. Now its 1 min longer and we have 3 times the runtime!!!! AND THE BATTS NOW ARE CHEAPER THAN IN 1989!!! Carefull what you wish for is all I'm saying.

EA Motorsports--B-Main Motorsports--Blizzard Concepts--Loose Nuts Racing--BigDog Graphics

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:38 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I personally think it'd be a good idea.

I see absolutely no reason why we would need to spend any more on batteries than we do now. I know that after most my races I've got minutes and minutes of runtime left in my $50 3300 packs, and that's at a 24amp discharge. I see no reason why I should just dump that time into my discharger when we could be using it on the track. It's a waste if you asked me. I think the mod guys would do well not to put in that one run, timing turned up, high silver brush, 6 single. It'll force them to motor and gear down, thus increasing the life of all their parts, IMO.

Maybe not 8 minutes, but there is no reason at all why we can't do at least another minute or minute and 30 seconds....

I agree mostly with what blackkat said.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #19
Tech Regular

At my club we do 6min races and finals at our meetings no problem with 19T motors and one or two 12th cars are runnin 10x1 with 4 cell
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #20
Tech Elite

I'm all for longer racing. It has to do with batteries and motors and they will evolve. I don't think 8 minutes in mod is realistic yet, but in stock or brushless, it would be great. Nitro has hour mains, electric should eventually go longer too. I know some guys are resistant, but that's just cause change is always scary. I'm sure in a few years Li-Poly will take over in cars just like planes, some micros, etc. and then even 10 minutes would be reasonable. Right now a dot or someone hitting you can ruin a heat, longer heats will give someone a chance to battle back.
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #21
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

i say leave the 8 minute mains to 1/12 scale and the mini coopers.
5 i think is enough, it gives you a challenege to try and take it all in just 5 minutes.
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 AM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think longer races would be a blast, but then again I don't run to many brushed motors.
Brushes? We don't need no stinking brushes!!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im like the rest i would love to have longer races. BUT!!!....... i still remember the fustration of the RUNTIME wars which turned to battery wars. I have run only stock for 95% or my stay in this hobby and it was not till we hit the 2400mah mark that run time stopped being an issue. Sure average voltage is now the new battle but its not nearly as much as an issue as was the fustration of dumping!!

For me each step up in MAH makes racing much more enjoyable as i can work on tuning the car to go faster on the track instead of holding off on gearing or timing changes to make up for run time that may not be there. IF we increas run time of races then our new 3300 and 3600 packs start to drop back to 2000-2400 status.
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #24
Tech Elite
Send a message via MSN to Giuseppe
Default I say leave it

Going from 4 to 5 mins was a good transition for the hobby. Helped reduce those 'one crash you're out' races and gave you more time to make up for mistakes and work on lap times. However, with that extra minute of time to make up positions also comes another minute to screw it up.

Longer races are not the answer right now, as said by Joel, we have time to worry about other things on the cars rather than gearing. Plus, with the newer battaries coming out, we'll start to see faster and faster racing. When things went from 4 to 5 mins, race speeds dropped off that we are only now starting to recover.

Another thought, how about how long the day would be if we had 8 min races...weekend event suddenly turn into 48 hours straight to get all the races in. I hated going to races where 12th scale was run when I wasn't racing in it, the day just dragged on for the their heats. I say keep with the shorter races to keep people who do this as a hobby coming out and to keep the rest of us from passing out on the driver's stand.
Interior R/C

If I can't break it, no one can...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote