Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Confused abour electric motors >

Confused abour electric motors

Confused abour electric motors

Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Confused abour electric motors

What is meant by "turns"? As in "19 turn motor" or "21 turn motor". Obviously it makes a difference, otherwise so many would not be offered, but what *kind* of difference?

In addition, the winding of the motor, it's copper wiring (as what I've seen so far), would platinum or gold be better?

And brushless vs. brushes...

Thanks for the help
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

The 19 or 27 or whatever is the number of times the wire is wound arounf the fingers on the armature.... The More winds=Lower RPM and more Torque... Easiest way to remember that....

Brushless motors don't use brushes, hence the name.... They are still relatively new to this hobby....
Old 11-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Oh... you think these little copper wound motors are expensive??? would you want to pay for a motor wound with platnium wire????
Old 11-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The number of turns is how many times the wire is wound around the armature stack. The lower number the faster the motor and more power. Torque is effected by the wind of the motor. You'll notice that modified motors are shown as an 8x1 (eight-single) or 9x2 (nine-double) The means that it's a nine turn motor, double wind. Meaning it has two strands of wire wrapped nine times around the armature. The lower the wind, the more torque you'll get. So a 9x1 will have about the same top end as a 9x2 but will have more torque.

Make since?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Confused abour electric motors

Originally posted by AttackDonut
What is meant by "turns"? As in "19 turn motor" or "21 turn motor". Obviously it makes a difference, otherwise so many would not be offered, but what *kind* of difference?

In addition, the winding of the motor, it's copper wiring (as what I've seen so far), would platinum or gold be better?

And brushless vs. brushes...

Thanks for the help
At room temperature, Silver is the best conductor with a resistance of 1.58 ohms. Copper is next with 1.67 ohms, Gold at 2.24, Aluminum at 2.66 and Platinum at 10.5 ohms. (lower is better).

Silver, gold and platinum are too expensive, which is why even though Silver is great and Gold is extremely good, they aren't used.

So, why is Gold touted so much? It's because it does not tarnish or oxidize and that oxidization on plug-connections causes resistance so Copper or Silver plugs can be inefficient.

But Copper wire is very inexpensive which is why it's used. Very inexpensive and very very efficient.

(numbers taken from IEEE resistance references)
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Turns: number of times wire is wrapped around the armature stack

Winds: number of strands of wire used to wrap the armature stack

8 and 9 turn motors have more horsepower but lack torque. 10 to 12 turns have a higher torque mulitplier so they feel a lot more snappy.

9x1 has more torque. 9x2 has same torque with more RPM. It is just a different powerband with the added RPM of the double. You loose the feel of more torque because of the shift in the powerband on the double.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

The low wind motors need the best electronics and batteries.... They also need the most maintanence.... Going fast cocts money.... Also, the lower the winds the less run time you'll get out of a motor... Stick with 19 turns and higher....
Old 11-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Jeff Brown
Turns: number of times wire is wrapped around the armature stack

Winds: number of strands of wire used to wrap the armature stack

8 and 9 turn motors have more horsepower but lack torque. 10 to 12 turns have a higher torque mulitplier so they feel a lot more snappy.

9x1 has more torque. 9x2 has same torque with more RPM. It is just a different powerband with the added RPM of the double. You loose the feel of more torque because of the shift in the powerband on the double.
Yeah, what Jeff said. My explaination was a little off. It's too friggin early to make a lot of since
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

I tried to make sense... I'm still not awake....
Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Gotcha-

As far as the "exotic" metals go, I have access to it on the cheap, was just curious the feasibility of winding my own motor and if using a precious metal would be effective.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Winding your own motor with an exotic metal probably would not get you any performance gain over what's already out there. If you want to try it, go for it. But these companies spend thousands of hours and dollars developing these motors to get max power from them.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Gotcha-

Originally posted by AttackDonut
As far as the "exotic" metals go, I have access to it on the cheap, was just curious the feasibility of winding my own motor and if using a precious metal would be effective.
Keep in mind that the wire that is used in motors is of course copper wire. However, it is coated with lacquer to insulate the wire from itself and other winds. If you were to find precious metal wire, make sure that it is insulated, otherwise you will be creating an expensive paperweight.