Community
Wiki Posts
Search

looking for a new chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default looking for a new chassis

they guys i am new to the forum but not new to the scene, anyways i have been operating xrays for 3 years now and i would like to try a different chassis for onroad carpet. can anyone recomend me a chassis i should look in too.

a friend told me to look into tamiya 417 but i heard that they break easy.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

all pro level cars are on the same level as far as durability is concerned

pick a car with good parts support and that someone else at ur track has so u can work on setups together

the 417 is a good cas and so is the Hb TCX
Old 09-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

All the cars are same in performance . Durability concerned , some are a little better than others , Xray being the strongest and best engineered car .

Your first step should be parts availability . It's the wisest choice , if you're not dedicated to one brand , to simply buy the one that has the best parts availability . Internationally looking , Yokomo and Tamiya are the fastest cars at the moment , although to you and me that means very little . Asso TC6 is the cheapest and the best buy , Xray is the best in quality . You decide
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

wait for new xray hence you got spares if not tcx
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

As already mentioned, parts availability should be a primary concern if you're not a parts pack-rat.

Also as already mentioned, all the current cars are fast and competitive, with roughly the same durability.

I'd suggest getting a car that has design features you agree with.

For example, the TC6, and the T3'11 use plastic holders and shims on the lower suspension arms to set track width, rear toe, and front arm sweep, which I like, others find them difficult to tighten so that they stay put.

The TCX, 417 and probably some others use one piece chassis mounted hinge pin holders that aren't adjustable [usually, some have plastic inserts to provide some degree of tuning options], which require more parts in your box if you want those tuning options. They can also be a pain to properly fit shims under to set your lower arm roll center point.

There are several other differences between all the cars, you just have to figure out what you want, what you don't want, and find the car that best fits what you're after.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the info guys, my reason making this thread is to find out if going with a different chassis will change the way i drive... improvment or not. but i guess i will stick with xray as where i am located the support is strong. i am currently looking at the 417 as it has the same strong support. ill go read up on the 417 thread thanks again guys!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

G'day guys Im hoping someone can advise me regarding purchasing a 1/10 pro level car and controller - ideally Id like to start racing down here in australia - Ive had a couple of cars a few years back but technical advances have made them obsolete. Given theres no hobby stores where I live I need a reliable website to purchase from - hoping you can help.

Steve
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
G'day guys Im hoping someone can advise me regarding purchasing a 1/10 pro level car and controller - ideally Id like to start racing down here in australia - Ive had a couple of cars a few years back but technical advances have made them obsolete. Given theres no hobby stores where I live I need a reliable website to purchase from - hoping you can help.

Steve
Hi Steve.

If you're looking to get back into racing here in Australia what level of racing do you think that you'd like to get back into?
Another car to look at is the new 3Racing Sakura XI, this car is getting good reviews from straight out of the box and the parts pricing for them is insanely inexpensive. You'll be able to read about them a bit more in this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sakura-xi.html

If you're looking for a good website to buy one from along with other ep RC gear such as motors, controllers, batteries, esc's, tires, body shells etc at a very good price there's a Aus site called http://www.feralbatteries.com/
The owner is a great guy and he supports racing in Sydney and other parts of Australia.

Also you may want to check out the Australian section of theses forums, you'll be able to read up more on subjects and stuff happening in the Australian rc car scene. http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Rob much appreciated - Im not sure what the classes (levels) are but Id like to go top shelf with the car
Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
Thanks Rob much appreciated - Im not sure what the classes (levels) are but Id like to go top shelf with the car
Going by what I have seen at our local track and in these forums your top shelf cars would be these listed, not in any particular order and not limited to:

T2 & T3 Xray
Schumacher Mi4LP
Hot Bodies TCX
Tamiya TRF 417
3Racing Sakura XI
Team associated TC6
TOP Photon.

There may be others I have missed.

As for classes, different clubs usually run the classes as outlined in the AARCMCC (Australian rules) being "Stock" which are a sensored 17.5 brushless motor or "Modified" Being brushless down to any turn 17.5 and under. For more information here's a link to the rules http://www.aarcmcc.org/docs/AARCMCC%...s%20201108.pdf

The local track/club may also run a novice/540 class which motors are generally the old brushed 540 type motors that come standard in various Tamiya car kits.
Depending on any given track/club they may also run what is known as "Blinky 21.5" which is possibly going to phase out the 540 motor class in the future, the "Blinky" refers to the esc where certain brands and models use zero timing on the esc and a light blinks on them to indicate the zero timing. The 21.5 brushless motors are generally all around the same speed making the class a good step up for those novice drivers wishing to get into a faster class.

All that being said if you plan to race at a track take a trip there there and speak with the people there in regards to equipment choice and what classes/format they use there. That way you'll get more informed information to help you choose your new setup.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks Rob I see your in Castle Hill I lived there for 12 years before moving to Tamworth where they have a good circuit at Nemingha - a small club but all members seem enthusiastic so a good time should be had
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

take a challenge....tt-01 try to run a beginners car
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

if you've been running with xray for 3 years, what is making you want to change?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you could try the serpent s411? looks like a silver t3 '11

(seriously, not trying to start a car war, but they look pretty similar)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hotrod306
take a challenge....tt-01 try to run a beginners car
Up to about a month ago I used to race with a ta04, a little bit more advanced then a tt01.
Was a challenge racing it against Xrays, trf416's, Mi4', tc5's etc, wasn't always at the front of the pack but still done quite well and it was fun hearing other folk say "You're driving a what? and going that good?"

Well I don't live in Castle Hill Steve but I consider it to be my local/home club cause the people there are great.
Sounds like the guys up there are keen and right into it, as said go have a talk with them and don't be afraid to ask questions as they like to see people coming to the hobby and want to make sure they get setup with the gear that will help you to get back into racing and will last you for some time to come.

Cheers
Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.