Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help choosing a good on-road car

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Need help choosing a good on-road car

I know YET ANOTHER ONE OF THESE threads...please don't flame ... I've been outta electric racing for a LONG while...recently I'm planning on getting ready for electric racing next season...seeing all these options I have in the market... can't help but try to solicit some help here from you all...I understand the benefits of having parts available at LHS...i'll will do some research on that....but right now can someone or anyone give some advice on the following vehicles:

PRo4
TRF 415
tc4
Xray T1 factory
MR4tc ssg

I have had several tc3s before so I'm leaning more towards shaft drive...but I haven't been following the recent updates of kits so any tips or opinions would be helpful.

Also ESC:

Quantum 2
Keyence Pro Papida Hyper Tech
NOvak Gtx...

I've had the quantum before and Loved it again...same thing here...not sure whose got the latest and greatest...thx in advance..

BTW price not an issue and the car will be for local club racing on prepared parking lot tracks..
Old 11-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can win with any one of those cars with any one of those speed controllers. Chose one and go out and have fun.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

if price and parts avaiblity is not an issue, then go with tamiya,
nothing beats the quality of tamiya.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Check out what parts supply your hobby store carries and go for that one. Having parts close by beats having to have 300.00 in parts in a part bin collecing dust waiting for you to break.

Tom
Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If the Yokomo is well supported where you are, go for it. I love my SSG with the rayspeed upgrade. It is a better car than the AE TC's I have had them and fell in love with Yokomo. Although they aren't very well supported I have rarely needed there to be a large support team for them. The Pro 4 is another shaft giant, I personnaly had issues with HPI and I don't really care for them. But as for the others I like the 415 and the Xray but have an issue with difficulty on even ordering parts, at least with Yokomo Speedtech has me covered. Just my two pennies
Do the research you planned on and if you don't have a problem with HPI I would consider them as a good solid choice. Besides it is the national championship car. As for ESC I personnal race two QC2's and prefer them to any other. LRP makes good stuff. I have had many bad runs with Novak and KO is still starting to look good to me(hence the Helios in my signature) But if you have had good times with LRP then go back you won't be disapointed. They offer Lifetime Warrentee on defects. Gives you a little warm feeling inside (you know for the just in case CASES).
Hope these opinions help, They are only from what I have experienced.
Thanks for listening,
Stephen <><
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm baised towards what I have (as are most people here ), but I'm a huge X-Ray fan and I absolutly love my T1 FK. I also like my LRP Quantum Competition 2 alot.

Really though, go for whichever one you can get parts for and looks the coolest to you. Unless your an uber factory driver level you won't "car limted" with any of those cars.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thx for the wonderful suggestions...just as I suspected...not a overwhelming favor of one single car...so I'll will choose it myself...

A couple of more questions though...which one of these cars would you say that it's the easiest to work on? Also anyone looking at the SD-WCSP?! Sounds very promising...

I'm mainly looking for a car that is winner right out the box..no upgrades required. No weakness to "fix"...

Shooky i'm going to PM you on what sorts of upgrades is necessary for the SSG...

G
Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Before you switch to japanese and european cars, let me remind you that you will need new tools ( Metric tools ). Just some input since you have TC3 before ( Imperial ).

Best car in my opinion ( highest to lowest preference )
1. Tamiya TRF 415
2. XRay T1 FK
3. Yokomo MR4TC SD or Tamiya TB Evo4

If you want the car without hop up options........ drum rolls..... XRay T1 FK is the strongest and the most durable of all.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

ditto the xray is fully dun up out of the box
Old 11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Tech Adept

What about the new Losi JRXS? it's an american car so there's no problem with the tools. It looks to be a very competitive car and certainly showed its pace at the recent worlds. Not sure if it'll be out in time for your racing season though as i don't live in US =="
Old 11-10-2004, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by yeuc001
if price and parts avaiblity is not an issue, then go with tamiya,
nothing beats the quality of tamiya.
Somehow i find this sentence very hard to be consume.
:P
Old 11-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by AdR|aN
Somehow i find this sentence very hard to be consume.
:P