R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2004, 02:05 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

asw7576, yes you are almost right, I'm the co-owner with my brother. He's the ESC designer (electronics/programming) and I'm into ESC's and their design and function, and so I'm very interested in what is best and why. It's my obsession.

Arvid, apologies for misunderstanding you, in the UK we don't seem to use much "txt spk" on the UK forums! I do know what btw means and now I know j/k as well! But I think it's best to only say things from your own experience. Many people say something is good or bad without finding out for themselves.

I needed a "push" to start this thread, and it's obvious that what I say could be seen to be biased. I removed my sig line as I don't intend to influence the replies. I'd very much appreciate a respected independent ESC electronics expert coming on here to help people with answers. I just put back my e-mail address in case anyone wants any more detailed answers, with the lack of an acknowledged r/ctech expert I'm willing to help with answers if I can, but my time is limited - I'm busy developing ESC's!

2BAD4ALL, you are right about current ratings but as I'm sure you know that a higher overall current rating based on an ambient 25deg C MOSFET temperature (the commonly used criteria) ie 10A x 10 FETs is a 100A rating. For it to increase or be higher than another ESC it must by a real world fact have more MOSFETs fitted and by another real world fact result in a lower ESC on-resistance (the most important specification). Re the BEC specs I'd say 6V/3A meets all the demands and 5A is a bit overrated.

BTW asw7576, your ESC checklist is good except that I'd put resistance ahead of current rating. You don't mention the BEC which is very important for trouble free operation, especially with the demands of a competition racing environment.

rcinsight, you're right they do, but I'm still amazed that bits get left out that should be inside, that BEC's are barely adequate, that water seems to cause so many problems and that clever modes aren't as clever as you'd expect. In the end it all seems to come down to real world use and performance... maybe one day a ESC will be designed that is good with ALL its specs/functions!!?
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Oh yeah... BEC rating is very important !! 6V 5A is good enough.

I don't buy anymore LRP QC2 because of it's 5.8V BEC while Novak GT7 have 6V 5A BEC. I don't buy GTX either because the FET rating is smaller than GT7.

I live in Indonesia, I could not find MRT VX Pro. Yours actually pretty good, I downloaded the manual and enjoyed reading it. I really like the soldering post... very convinience and also a waterproof ESC gives me peace of mind. The software is good and user friendly too. Downside ? the size is too big ?

Good luck Sir !!! I'm sure MRT brand will be as big as Novak if you could maintain quality and innovation through many years.
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote