R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Need advice choosing a motor/esc/gear for HPI Cup Racer

Hello, just to start i DID use the search feature but got 99% irrelevant results and the cup racer thread has over 2500 posts from 2 years ago! So please no noob flaming

I'm new to RC and I bought and assembled an HPI cup racer combo from towerhobbies dot com but the damn thing didn't come with a motor!

I would like some advice for choosing a reliable setup good for drifting/parking lot thrashing/chasing cats, nothing serious, just fun. I have a Futaba 2PH 2-Channel AM with 2 S3003 Servos

The battery is a "DuraTrax Onyx NiMH 6C 7.2V 3000mAh Stick Standard Plug"
What's an inexpensive beginner motor esc/motor combo for this type of battery? The manual recommends a 30 turn motor. I would prefer something with reverse.

What do I need to consider when I chose my gear ratio? I understand how ratios work but have no idea what would be suitable as an all-rounder

Also I would like some advice on how to assemble the body, i'm confused on how to join the ass-end to the body without leaving gaps and how to mount the front lights so I can add LEDs and have that clear cover/painted housing, no instructions were provided.
I like this one (not mine): www-dot-scale4x4rc-dot-org/forums/showthread.php?p=456231 (sorry can't post links)
Any advice or links would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

very impressed with the build quality of this kit.
Very solid feel.
Servos and shocks can be mounted in different configurations depending on dimensions of the servos and the body, large number of possible body mounting combos, 210 or 225mm wheelbase. I had to use 225mm w.b. and lay-down shocks because of the Datsun body and sideways servo (Futaba 3000) based on size. Apparently stand up shocks and servo offers better control but i'm not racing so I don't mind
You can raise and lower the car by inserting included spacers in the springs
Only thing that has me worried is the huge angle of the rear axles on the 225mm wheelbase and the plastic slots they go into on the diff, this seems like a weak point. They should make it so you can move the motor/diff back and run a longer center driveshaft instead
Front diff was very rough but smoothed out when I loosened the screws on the housing 1 turn
building shocks is the hardest part (stupid microscopic e-clips) but rewarding to see them once assembled
You will need a large work space as you will have to open 50 bags at once
Can't wait to drive it!!
keepinitoldskoo is offline   Reply With Quote