Search

Different Carpet Foams

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by runnin rc10
If a tire has been sitting for a while and seems to be hardened
(chunking easily, less grip, ect.) Should it be replace or are there otehr fixes for it? I heard truing it down some helps but just want to be sure. Thanks
Those tires will have a shortened life span on the track for sure. ONe thing yu can do is take a bag you can seal and spray WD40 in the bag and toss the tires in and let them sit in the bag for a couple of days. They should soften up enough to be a practice tire.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I think it's pretty sad that these companies rape us with prices... How much do you thing it costs to make the Foams??? $.05 worth of foam and $.05 worth of plastic??? Maybe $.25 for the packaging???? I can understand the rest of the costs involved but a pair of foams should be no more than $10.00 off the shelf at your LHS!!!!
Here's why foams, along with many other things in a hobby shop cost so much. You have to pay for the materials, labor, the EXPENSIVE machines to help make the items, the MFR rent and utilities, shipping and taxes from the MFR to the distibutor (most of the time international), the distibutors labor for stocking and shipping the item, their rent and utilities, then shipping from the distirbutor to the LHS, the LHS labor, rent and utilities. So ya it might be cheap to make but it sure as hell isn't cheap when you look at what OTHER costs it is covering. And here's a news flash. LHS DON'T make any profit on big priced items. We make our money on the small stuff like tires, bodies, and parts. Then when you complain about prices of those items, you are causing the LHS to lose it's profit and therefore CANNOT stay open. Then you have to buy EVERYTHING online. Why don't you spend the extra $4 and support your LHS. And if you don't, don't complain when there is no LHS to go to when you break a part and can't finish your weekend of racing. It's a rule of thumb I have is when I go race out of town, I ALWAYS buy something from the LHS that is onsite at the track, whether I need it or not, to help support them and the track. OK just needed to get this off my chest. Done putting my 2 1/2 cents in.

BTW this is coming from someone who has worked in a LHS and has seen this going on for 4 years now.

Last edited by NismoSkyline17; 11-11-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

$4 Markup???? You can get Speedmind tired from my LHS for $19 and online for $8.25.... I buy a lot from my LHS, but if I can get 2 pairs of foams for what my LHS charges for 1.... Common sense here.... I have a mortgage and a family to feed....
Old 11-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
...And if you don't, don't complain when there is no LHS to go to when you break a part and can't finish your weekend of racing....
Old 11-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Team Orion Fresh Kicks Foams

I used to run TRC Plaid up front and Purple in the rear for racing on Ozite carpet. Since then, I changed over to Orion 76125 42 shore in the rear even though these are spec'd to be Front Compounds and I use 76136 45 shore in the front and they work better for me than the TRC's ever did. We use JAck the Gripper as tire sauce.

Very little tire wear, no chunking.
I do notice that the rear 42 shore tires look brand new almost like they are a sponge and the front 45 shore act more like any other standard TRC tire where they get caked up with crud.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

...And if you don't, don't complain when there is no LHS to go to when you break a part and can't finish your weekend of racing....
My LHS doesn't carry parts for the cars I run.... I am forced to order online anyway and carry spares.... Do I need to be tied down to running whatever my LHS carries??? I'm by no means a newbie in this hobby, I've been doing this before the majority here were even born.... Online shpooing has given me the opportunity to own what I couldn't have 15-20 years ago....
Old 11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Im leaning toward the Speedmind foams.
There the same foam as Trc and Jaco's.

One of my LHS just gor hybrid editions of speedminds foam (35/55). Thats perfect.
And there only $12 a pr.