Wiki Posts
Search

Rear One Way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Rear One Way?

Has anyone been able to make a One Way Diff work in the rear? If so what happens, is it worth the experiment?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

usually nothing gained... having only frontwheel brakes, it'll plough on ahead

what car?

TA05 has both centre & diff oneways; to use diff oneway at rear
you'll need one that's oneway in the opposite rotation to the front.
AFAIK nobody makes such a beast.

With a bit of DIY ingenuity you could mount centre oneway pulley
to run the rear belt...

Some shaft cars like TB02/3 & TBevoIII/IV/5 can be set to run either way
so you can make a 'front' oneway to work fine at the back (motor reversed).
Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried balldiff front and one-way rear on a Ta05. Weird handling, cannot explain it, but will never try that setup again
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
I tried balldiff front and one-way rear on a Ta05. Weird handling, cannot explain it, but will never try that setup again
That was my smile for the day right there...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

First off, if you are using a one-way designed for the front of a car in the rear... you better make sure the front and rear diffs are oriented/offset to the same side. Otherwise you will end up with the rear not being driven at all.

Secondly... the the handling traits will be peculiar to say the least. The car will be affected during on-power application and during braking.

On-power it will be similar to a 1/8th on-road car, ie: solid rear axle, which gives you lots of on-throttle steering. However, if you are using a regular ball or gear diff in the front, you won't get the pull/bite out of the corner that the front wheels provide with most 1/8ths(assuming the front/rear drive ratios are equal or overdriven). I suspect you will end up with a very tail happy car. If you can get it drivable, you will probably need to slide the car around a fair bit to turn a quick lap.

The worst handling trait, I suspect, will be under braking. A one-way rear will give you no rear brakes.... ie: 100% front brake bias. With the inertia that the rear of the car will be carrying, if you brake in anything but the straightest of lines when approaching a corner, you will be out in the weeds, ass-end out.

Basically... it is not a good idea. If you want to experiment you could try a solid axle/spool in the rear. This would give you the desired(if you can call it that) traits of a rear one-way, without the negative braking effects.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

its not really that big a deal, remove the bearings, turn them around and re insert them, no need to go changing the whole car around, as stated you will only have front brakes, but depending on what class your running maybe you don't even use brakes. I have seen guys use dual one ways on a mini and it got around the corner pretty damn good, no brakes but awesome rotation.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Tech Initiate

prob spin out all the time? i dunno give it a try man!