Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 plastic vs. graphite

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default TC3 plastic vs. graphite

I have a all plastic TC3 and am considering upgrading to full graphite. I was wondering how much weight is actually being dropped from the car when changed? ( if anyone knows) And do you guys think it helps a lot to have the graphite car. thanks.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

I cannot tell you exactly but, my FT TC3 was always under weight.

My TC4 with all its plastic is 1490 grams.

Graphite is not as flexible as plastic and I use plastic CVD's.

Associated has an article on their site RC10.com comparing plastic to Graphite.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

So would you reccomend it? With the car being stiffer when it has the graphite, how does that effect the car on the track? I was considering milling out the graphite chassis to get the batteries closer to the centerline. But if its that underweight with the graphite I guess some weight on the electronics side would balance up the car a bit.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Graphite chassis will be a good idea if u a good driver with minimal collisions. Graphite are stiffer, so they give a more precise handling, however they are more brittle than plastic, so they will crack more easily under a hard collision.
As for moving the batteries closer to centerline, i think that conversion is not only to balance the car left to right but also bring the weight closer to the centerline to give it a better response.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Absolutely, I would recommend Graphite. Just get better quick so you won't have to replace too many parts.

All that Dremelling that we did to the TC3 is already done on the TC4, except shaving the bottoms off the trans cases to where the chassis sealed the case. Slammed the CG.

I sat down to order some parts to have on hand for racing the TC3 2 months ago, and quit when I realized the advantages of the TC4 and that many TC3 parts could be transferred to the TC4.

Consider the TC4.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

im not the best driver..but most bad collisions I have are because of parts coming loose, or other cars on the track. I think I will get the graphite conversion, mainly because I cant really afford a new car and right now my tc3 is the easiest and fastest car I have, im just looking for that little more of an edge. How much did you guys dremel out of the middle of your chassis? I would hate to screw up a brand new one.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Most guys dremelled just a few mm's off the TC3 center to expose the 'V' webbing and then use foam tape on the tub to keep the batteries inward.

Last years edition of Touring Car showed the trick.

This years issue shows how to Blue Print your TC3 diffs which is already done for you in the new mold of diffs.

The new diffs have a smooth black finish inside.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Here is a link to Mistercrash's site that explains how to do the battery mod.

http://www.mistercrash.ca/_themes/pa...ciated_tc3.htm
Old 11-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default graphite vs. upgrade to carbon fiber chassis

wat about the graphite vs the b.m.i. r other carbon fiber upgrades? would u go graphite r carbon fiber????????????!!?

Steven Alexander
Old 11-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Tech Addict

Actually Ive really considered the BMI and thats probably what I will do. I like that chassis and it doesnt cost a whole bunch. The IRS chassis is nice too.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I have a Racer TC3 that I picked up for a great price this fall and I upgraded the car with a BMI chassis, a set of threaded FT shocks, RPM wide front bumper and RPM ball cups. I will also soon be adding the Lunsford titanium turnbuckles.

The car was under weight after the conversion, but that's OK as I was able to place weights on the chassis where I wanted to bring it back up to minimum specs. The motor mount is different and I like it much more than the stock version. The chassis becomes quite stiff as the upper deck eliminated flex. Overall, a nice package and much better than the IRS version.

Installing and removing the battery strap requires a wrench as the setup doesn't use body clips to retain the strap like the stock version does, but that is only a small thing.

The TC4 should be very nice but I read that there are still development issues such as the diffs, that still need to be sorted. For club racing or racing on a budget, the TC3 is still hard to beat. With the release of the TC4, you can probably get a bargain on a used TC3 and of course parts are available almost everywhere.

Last edited by SteveM; 11-21-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default irs tc3

ya im goin to get me a IRS TC3 very soon.

Steven Alexnader
Old 11-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I like the BMI chassis. Good quality and good support. By the way I'm not sponsored by BMI I just like the chassis.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

Is there actually much differencs between the IRS and the BMI appart from the visaul ones?