Wiki Posts
Search

sorex or solaris?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
I agree. I recently shredded a couple of sets of Solaris Hards in the time it usually takes me to go through one set of Sorex, although I find you have to re-glue Sorex tires often to keep them working well for longer. They tend to tear a bit around the outer edge where they meet the rim and can cause some odd handling if you don't re-glue them constantly.

Never had that problem with sorex but maybe i got a good batch
Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
As far as traction, the Sweep exp40 are extreme !!! I constantly grip roll , and, eventhough I hit quite a bit , the rims don't break easy and no re-gluing ever !!!!!!!!
The discussion is between Sorex And Solaris. I never discounted Sweep at all. Just keeping the conversation within context
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for your input. That was very helpful.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
As far as traction, the Sweep exp40 are extreme !!! I constantly grip roll , and, eventhough I hit quite a bit , the rims don't break easy and no re-gluing ever !!!!!!!!
I don't know about that... the exp36 were no where near the grip that the sorex 36 had, and they'd dust up my car like foams. Unless sweep changed the formula recently...

But between sorex solaris, I choose sorex too.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
Never had that problem with sorex but maybe i got a good batch
It won't be something you would notice at a glance. You have to pull the rubber with your thumb a bit to see it. Basically it starts to pull away from itself, near the glue. This slight tearing will get bigger and the handling will suffer if left unattended. You've probably had tires "tear" the way I'm referring to, but might not have noticed. I've gone through several dozen sets of Sorex and they all do it after a couple runs on medium to high grip with 17.5 boosted or faster. I haven't noticed it so much with 21.5 blinky though.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorex $50 ripoff, solaris $32 expensive !!! No matter how good the Sorex are they can't compete with Solaris , let alone the Sweeps !!!!! Sweeps>Solaris>Sorex in my opinion ! By the way , I can tell the fella that posted that the Exp36 had no grip, that the Exp40 had better grip than 28R tires , as much as Rp30 tires but with no tire wear/ungluing/damage etc......they are just the best I have come accross !!!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is interesting to me the vast differences in experiences with the various tires.

Are the production runs inconsistent quality for each manufacturer? Are they experimenting with different formulas?

Sweep 36 EXP - I've had two tires, in two different sets, purchased 6 mo apart, tear in the same place. Good traction but I'm done with them...

Sorex 36R - I have been rotating the same 3 sets of tires over the past 2 years, and the grip is still phenomenal. A little SImple Green and some sauce - bingo. I bought a new set 3 months ago, and after 5 runs they look like he!! already.

Solaris Hard - Bought a set recently. Darn hooked up at Westcoast Raceway, but pushes like a oil tanker on my regular prepped parking lot tracks - given the same setup.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nilks
Well, I have the exact opposite experience. Sorex have great grip and last a long time. Solaris has a bit less grip, and wear a lot faster.
I have similar experience with solaris premount medium, grip is ok (not as good as sorex). Solaris wear like sponge tires. One run with solaris, there are lots of "tires dust" inside body shell. These "tires dust" will stick into belt, centre shaft gear and differential gear teeth. Too much trouble to clean up the mess.

In the long run, Sorex provide better grib, longer life and lower running cost.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

There's no doubt Sorex is still king of the heap as far as outright grip goes.

There are some manufacturing inconsistencies with any product from time to time. Really sucks it would happen on expensive tires, but that's life and the nature of racing sometimes.

I've got just about every tire brand available in my tire box, so here's my take:

I've never really liked the way Solaris tires felt on my car, as the chassis setup has to be so much drastically different than any other tire brands, which make direct comparisons very difficult. I'll be giving them another chance as I haven't tried them with the spoked wheels [though I hear there isn't much difference besides a more durable wheel], and I'm also interested in trying the new pro series Solaris tires, just to see how they measure up.

When it comes to drastic differences in experience, chassis setup, tire prep routine, driving style, surface / surface prep, track barrier type, etc, all have big impacts on tire wear and longevity. I've found that as my driving improves, so does my tire wear and lap times.

Regarding the Sweep EXP series, if you're getting a lot of powder inside the body, chances are you're using a tire that's too soft for your conditions. They don't really like to be compared with Sorex based on the heat number. Personally, I've found the Sweep EXP's to be quite good, but they are pretty sensitive to excessive camber. One set of EXP 36's lasted me more than 10 racing events, with a .1sec per lap difference over new tires, and the car would probably have been quicker with EXP 40's instead.

For other tire brands, my favorite is still RP's. I have a couple sets of RP 30's I bolt on whenever no other tire brand seems to want to cooperate that day, for whatever reason, carpet and asphalt. Though they seem to thrive in cooler temps. Warmer track temps still yield good speed, but with accelerated wear.

Micro-E, the damage you saw in the EXP's, did it look like a cut, or a thin tire carcass tear? Where on the tire did it happen? As for your Sorex tires, it's possible the insert is different from your previous sets, which is going to take some chassis tuning to get the same wear you were seeing with the other sets.

bertrandsv87, I know you're excited about EXP's, but are you comparing the EXP40's versus the Sweep 28r's, or Sorex? And the only time the EXP40's would be equal in grip to RP30's would be on a warm track, on a cooler track, RP's will have about the same tire wear, and MUCH better traction/corner speed.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sorex hands down... Solaris is a good tires but the track needs to be really prep to get the grip... Sorex don't blow up like solaris tires...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Do Sorex come mounted? And where do you get them? Whats RP tires?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FastPete
Do Sorex come mounted? And where do you get them? Whats RP tires?

Thanks
Sometimes you can buy Sorex pre-mounted.

www.speedtechrc.com and www.amainhobbies.com both sell pre-mounted Sorex tires on revlite wheels.

Take-Off Racing Physics [RP] tires are another low profile Japanese tire brand. Usually have to order from Hong Kong, nobody is selling them in the US right now. If you're going to buy them from a HK site, get some friends together on the order to save on shipping.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Smile

I know , as far as grip , Rp30 is king , but you need to keep gluing them, and they are not $25 like the Exp40's ! The 28R's I had were the Jaco Greens ! They are fragile and alot of sauce compared to the Exp40's , but also don't need re-gluing !!! The only thing Sweep tires need is shaving off the glue bead that can cause tire shreading !!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Maybe the glue issue has to do with preparation. I've only had Sorex tires start to come unglued a handful of times, in very small sections, and I've never had to reglue RP's.

Clean the wheel with denatured alcohol, scuff with some 600grit paper. Clean the tire glue bead with denatured alcohol, then with acetone, then scuff the tire glue bead with 600 grit paper, and clean again with denatured alcohol, and use the minimum amount of glue you can.

On pre-mounts, it's obviously more important to keep an eye on the glue, regardless of the brand.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Sweep got it figured out!!! Better glue, better gluing technique, etc.... I broke one of their Rims in a crash once , and wanted to rip the tire out of the rim, impossible !!! They were glued forever! The rubber ripped, but not the bead ! No pliers, screw driver or tool could crack that bead without breaking the rim ! I use to seperate the rubber from the rims with other brands like (Rp/Jaco) easily !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.