R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Charging pack directly soldered to esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/544902-charging-pack-directly-soldered-esc.html)

imjonah 08-24-2011 06:06 PM

Charging pack directly soldered to esc

Before I do something stupid,
I picked up this car whose battery connects directly to the ESC (no deans plugs).
Is it safe to just attach my charger with alligator clips to the positive and negative poles of the battery? (I am worried about damaging the ESC)

Andy Koback 08-24-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by imjonah (Post 9569819)
I picked up this car whose battery connects directly to the ESC (no deans plugs).
Is it safe to just attach my charger with alligator clips to the positive and negative poles of the battery? (I am worried about damaging the ESC)

Put some kind of connectors on the battery, for safety purposes!!! What happens if the ESC starts to smoke? How you gonna disconnect it quickly from the battery??? This set-up is NOT safe!!!

imjonah 08-24-2011 08:50 PM

Hmmm

I see competitors at national events wire direct, I am wondering if they de-solder and re solder with each charge.

I use Deans with all my setups, I am just curious about this option.

ohh EPiC FAiL 08-24-2011 08:54 PM

i'm assuming that it's a pack with 4mm bullets rather than deans. this is the setup i use and it works great to plug your esc wires directly into the battery. just pull the wires out and use a charging harness like this one:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...llet-Connector

AreCee 08-24-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by imjonah (Post 9570674)
I see competitors at national events wire direct, I am wondering if they de-solder and re solder with each charge.

I use Deans with all my setups, I am just curious about this option.

That's correct, it was quite normal to direct solder the ESC leads to the battery when we used NiMH and NiCads. We did unsolder the packs to charge them but remember that each pack was only used for one run per day.

Can you charge while connected to the ESC, usually yes but if you're unsure of what you are doing then it would be safer not to.

johnny boy 08-24-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by imjonah (Post 9569819)

if it is a lipo battery i would use some kind of plug. if it is ni-cad or ni-mh you can charge it with it connect to the esc as long as its off. Thats how we did it back in the day. especially when peaking are batteries before are race.

johnny boy 08-24-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by AreCee (Post 9570715)
That's correct, it was quite normal to direct solder the ESC leads to the battery when we used NiMH and NiCads. We did unsolder the packs to charge them but remember that each pack was only used for one run per day.

Can you charge while connected to the ESC, usually yes but if you're unsure of what you are doing then it would be safer not to.

you beat me too it:lol:

exactly what this guy said.

ta04evah 08-24-2011 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by AreCee (Post 9570715)

Especially if the battery is in the car and decides to go "boom" = 1 dead battery + 1 very damaged car. :(

Cheers
Rob.