Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thinking about the op 12.1c

I currently have an associated r5.1. I am pondering on the following:

1. Associated 5.1 in line conversion;
2. CEFX griffin conversion;
3. On Point c12.1

Seeing as I am on the onpoint thread, I assume that most/any responses will favour the on-point.
However, has anyone here done a comparison, or had any one of the other 2 chassis?
how do the cars feel against one another?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lohan
I currently have an associated r5.1. I am pondering on the following:

1. Associated 5.1 in line conversion;
2. CEFX griffin conversion;
3. On Point c12.1

Seeing as I am on the onpoint thread, I assume that most/any responses will favour the on-point.
However, has anyone here done a comparison, or had any one of the other 2 chassis?
how do the cars feel against one another?
I have been driving for Associated for a couple of years. Together with a mate we drove the L4, R5, R5.1 and the R5.1 Inline. Associated has some nice cars. But the aluminum sometimes is just butter. Together with the other driver we bent like 10 motor mounts of the R5 in two season.
A big disadvantage of the R5.1 (inline) is that the motor pod tweaks like hell. If you just look at it, it's already tweakt. Now we are both driving the on-point and this is awesome. The pod almost doesn't tweak, and if it tweaks it doesn't tweak that much as the associated.

Also different is the battery position. I can position the battery in the On-point more forward and backward, and with the inline version you can online place it in one place.

I've tested the Associated with the on-point back to back, And i'm faster, I think due to the higher corner speed, with the On-Point with 3 tents at the fast lap.

SO for me I'm really happy to drive the on-point right now. For the CEFX I don't know. I haven't used it.

Regards Robert
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Robert, how do you intially set up the side springs on your On Point?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

would it be reasonable to convert a 5.1 to this chassis adding only damper tubes? running the 5.1 onpoint chassis and its fast, but i have had a few aluminum parts tweak. my motor plate is f-d.

without buying a 5.2, what would it cost to get this and build it up from a complete 5.1?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RoyU
Robert, how do you intially set up the side springs on your On Point?
When I build or rebuild the car, I make sure the spring retainers are at the same distance from the carbon holder with a caliper. The I check the side springs if they are (almost) the same length. When there is more then 2mm of a difference i replace them.
Then, I start to turn the side spring screws, until the very first moment they touch. I try to screw both springs equally!
When I'm ready rebuilding the car I use the 'coin' method to tweak it. Normally when the car is straight (no carbon tweak) it takes a 1/8 or 1/4 turn to get the spring tension right with the coin trick.
After that I put the car on 4 scales to confirm it's straight.

Originally Posted by valk
would it be reasonable to convert a 5.1 to this chassis adding only damper tubes? running the 5.1 onpoint chassis and its fast, but i have had a few aluminum parts tweak. my motor plate is f-d.

without buying a 5.2, what would it cost to get this and build it up from a complete 5.1?
I understand you have a complete 5.1 right now? The only thing you need then is a On-Point conversion. I converted a 5.1 from a friend of mine. The Black Tubes are with the On-Point conversion. And it's much stronger (carbon and aluminum) then the Associated. The other racer wrecked a chassis, a pod and 5 motor plates in one season. With the On-Point the only thing that's wrecked are his body's...
Just check it at the website: http://www.onpointracing.com

Here's My On-Point for which I bought all black stuff (left) and the Associated 5.1 converted On-Point (right)

Regards Robert
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Onpoint doesnt come with shock/ axle ect though? Id prob convert my wgt and buy hubs as the 5.1 i have now would be an excellent stock car. Looking for a new chassis for 10.5/mod.

Is there a different pn? The ones i see around for $200 say they need tubes ect. Would it basically be the same as a 12r5 then dollar wise?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I have been driving for Associated for a couple of years. Together with a mate we drove the L4, R5, R5.1 and the R5.1 Inline. Associated has some nice cars. But the aluminum sometimes is just butter. Together with the other driver we bent like 10 motor mounts of the R5 in two season.
A big disadvantage of the R5.1 (inline) is that the motor pod tweaks like hell. If you just look at it, it's already tweakt. Now we are both driving the on-point and this is awesome. The pod almost doesn't tweak, and if it tweaks it doesn't tweak that much as the associated.

Also different is the battery position. I can position the battery in the On-point more forward and backward, and with the inline version you can online place it in one place.

I've tested the Associated with the on-point back to back, And i'm faster, I think due to the higher corner speed, with the On-Point with 3 tents at the fast lap.

SO for me I'm really happy to drive the on-point right now. For the CEFX I don't know. I haven't used it.

Regards Robert
Thanks for such a well informed answer.

I have to say that I've had the misfortune of having a TOP PHOTON at one time, and the aluminium was blamange!

I am a bit of a tweek freak, so that information was particularly useful
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

Regards Robert
Thanks for such a well informed answer.

I have to say that I've had the misfortune of having a TOP PHOTON at one time, and the aluminium was blamange!

I am a bit of a tweak freak, so that information was particularly useful
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

On-Point is one of the Sponsors of the 2013 SnowBirds Nationals. Come and visit the On-Point team voor tips and tricks. Don't forget to buy tickets to win your On-Point kit!

Regards Robert
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Onpoint doesnt come with shock/ axle ect though? Id prob convert my wgt and buy hubs as the 5.1 i have now would be an excellent stock car. Looking for a new chassis for 10.5/mod.

Is there a different pn? The ones i see around for $200 say they need tubes ect. Would it basically be the same as a 12r5 then dollar wise?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I'm correct the OP12C.1 (PN: OP300B.1) has:
- On-Point Lipo Racing Chassis OP12C.1 (Black anodized)
- Pod plates
- Shock mount
- Stand offs
- Damper tubes,
- Front end bulk heads

So, You still need:
- Rear Axle
- Center Damper
- Linkage
- Side Springs
- Body Posts
- Front suspension (without the Bulkheads)

Regards Robert
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

So I've also been testing the linkage. And I'm having a hard time getting the Assocaited Linkage 'right'. It always has play, or isn't smooth... So I tried the Kyosho Parts from the Plazma and the quality of the parts is u huge difference. It's so much better. It's smooth and has almost zero play. To bad the Kyo parts are expencive and hard to find

Regards Robert
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Ok so it does have tubes. When i looked at the pic on stormer they looked like a front brace or Something lol.
Do i need other hardware for them or just the rod ends? Just rip my 5.1 onpoint appart and swap everything over?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

So I've also been testing the linkage. And I'm having a hard time getting the Assocaited Linkage 'right'. It always has play, or isn't smooth... So I tried the Kyosho Parts from the Plazma and the quality of the parts is u huge difference. It's so much better. It's smooth and has almost zero play. To bad the Kyo parts are expencive and hard to find

Regards Robert
Serpent parts are pretty widely available and are not too expensive. Much better quality and very little play.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried the Hot Bodies cyclone front suspension on the on point car
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so it does have tubes. When i looked at the pic on stormer they looked like a front brace or Something lol.
Do i need other hardware for them or just the rod ends? Just rip my 5.1 onpoint appart and swap everything over?
Yes, the build picture from On-Point doesn't show the tubes.

I did a 5.1 swap, and the Rod-Ends and ball's is a good one. You need 4 pieces for the tubes of both. The set-screws and other tube-parts are in the kit.

Regards Robert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.