Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree32Likes

Are all "Blinky" class ESCs equal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Are all "Blinky" class ESCs equal?

Now that the speed control wars are over, most everyone have settled in to "blinky" non-boosted 17.5 racing for sportsman classes. The question is, are all "blinky" non boosted speed controls the same? I see some that are well below $100 while others like the high end ones that are programmable to have "blinky" non-boost well over $150 and beyond.

If I am only planning on racing non-boost would I still be competitive with a "budget" fixed zero-boost restricted speed control? Examples would be the Hobbywing Juststock, Havoc 2s, GTB2, and Duratrax DE10, etc...
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

For club racing they all get the job done.

I would look for something that is 1s ready.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

the simple answer is yes. but the real answer is no. different speed controls have different feels as you progress thru the throttle range. less experienced drivers may not feel it, but it is there.

newer guys that go out and buy all the very best newest stuff, and still get pulled down the straight away have a hard time understanding that different speedos/motor/setup combos all require different gearing, and therefore may feel that their speedo is not as good as someone else's. where in reality, getting "pulled" down the straight often is a result of the "faster" car just being able to carry more corner speed thru the sweeper on.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes in blinky mode the output is all the same.

But not all esc's can perform other modes or other features.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

They all may but out the same max power at fixed timing but there are other adjustments that can be made on the high end ESCs that are either not available or difficult to find on the less expensive ESC's. The adjustments I'm thinking of are brake and throttle curves. Throttle rates, current limits that sort of stuff.

However, you could run the best ESC, have it set up perfect and RedBullFiXX would still beat you silly with the cheap ESC. Don't you just hate it when it comes down to skill?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by al dente
the simple answer is yes. but the real answer is no. different speed controls have different feels as you progress thru the throttle range. less experienced drivers may not feel it, but it is there.

newer guys that go out and buy all the very best newest stuff, and still get pulled down the straight away have a hard time understanding that different speedos/motor/setup combos all require different gearing, and therefore may feel that their speedo is not as good as someone else's. where in reality, getting "pulled" down the straight often is a result of the "faster" car just being able to carry more corner speed thru the sweeper on.
By different feel, do you mean "punch"? If so isn't that just the drive frequency which is programmable on some of the budget speedos?

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Thanks for your reply. I have an RS on "blinky" mode in my TC and it runs great. However, I just don't have the budget right now for another RS. Frankly, I think the RS is overkill for a "blinky" non-boosted class. The RS is a great all around speed control which would allow me to run mod, boosted or even 1s from my understanding of its capabilities. The question is, if I were to replace the RS on my TC with a budget non-boost speedo, would it perform just as well as the RS in the same mode? Reason is that I may want to use the RS in other applications like 1s boosted and such.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HB Moose
They all may but out the same max power at fixed timing but there are other adjustments that can be made on the high end ESCs that are either not available or difficult to find on the less expensive ESC's. The adjustments I'm thinking of are brake and throttle curves. Throttle rates, current limits that sort of stuff.

However, you could run the best ESC, have it set up perfect and RedBullFiXX would still beat you silly with the cheap ESC. Don't you just hate it when it comes down to skill?
Mr. RedBullFiXX can still beat everyone with a wiper-arm controller on a 12I
Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike

Hi Randy,
Any thoughts on differences in component quality or materials and their effect on pure power output? Logic would tell me a unit built to a higher standard and better materials may incrementally make available more power than a unit built with cost as a main focus. I'm not an electrical engineer so no idea if what I'm thinking is remotely accurate or if true whether the output difference would be enough to make a difference..

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
By different feel, do you mean "punch"? If so isn't that just the drive frequency which is programmable on some of the budget speedos?

Thanks for your reply. I have an RS on "blinky" mode in my TC and it runs great. However, I just don't have the budget right now for another RS. Frankly, I think the RS is overkill for a "blinky" non-boosted class. The RS is a great all around speed control which would allow me to run mod, boosted or even 1s from my understanding of its capabilities. The question is, if I were to replace the RS on my TC with a budget non-boost speedo, would it perform just as well as the RS in the same mode? Reason is that I may want to use the RS in other applications like 1s boosted and such.
i had the same question after last trophy race 2 weeks ago. i think they are pretty much all the same and its a close race since everyones power is about the same.
my problem is someone at my local race used orca esc with suspected timing boost thats faster than others.
to answer you question. i think another non boost esc maybe a good idea if you want your rs for other races. you will not see others going alot faster than you. the most important is your skill, setup of the car and right gearing
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlealex
i had the same question after last trophy race 2 weeks ago. i think they are pretty much all the same and its a close race since everyones power is about the same.
my problem is someone at my local race used orca esc with suspected timing boost thats faster than others.
to answer you question. i think another non boost esc maybe a good idea if you want your rs for other races. you will not see others going alot faster than you. the most important is your skill, setup of the car and right gearing
There is a reason ORCA was banned from ROAR blinky classes.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HB Moose

Thanks Bruce.
Once we get to iic I'm sure I'll be the one getting a driving lesson or two, while moving over for the "Real" fast guys

Fezzik: We face each other as God intended. Sportsmanlike. No tricks, no weapons, skill against skill alone.
Man in Black: You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?
Fezzik:I could kill you now.
Man in Black: Frankly, I think the odds are slightly in your favor at hand fighting.
Fezzik: It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 4 types of speedo that are blinky aproved , LRP SXX stock spec , SP GT2.0 , Tekin RS , and a Citrix .

I like the feel of the Citrix the most , our club runs 0 timing stock class with ONLY the citrix the most

cheapest speedo and nicest throttle profile , but the brakes are poop
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

The fastest blinky esc is the one with the most corner speed. I'm still looking for it!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
The fastest blinky esc is the one with the most corner speed. I'm still looking for it!
haha me too , the one that removes the driver
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am not running blinky mode here but do you think than an "old" Novak GTB would be as fast as the newer models around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.