Search
Like Tree35Likes

Are all "Blinky" class ESCs equal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I appreciate your post. Anyone else have other experiences with "blinky" speedos they can contribute?

Novak GTB2?
Novak Havoc?
Hobbywing Juststock?
Duratrax DE10?
I have used a GTB and Cirtix they both ran the same lap times. If anything the Cirtix felt like it had more bottom end power but the lap times didnt show it.

Is the Hobbywing Just Stock out yet? and is it ROAR legal yet?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

To Randy Pike, are there any plans for Tekin to offer a "budget" non-boost speed control? Will Tekin be competing in that segment?
Yes. We however will still offer "more" in the long run. $100 esc's you get what you pay for. I've heard more than my fair share of complaints in this "segment." That being said we are working on some new products that may fit your bill.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Yes. We however will still offer "more" in the long run. $100 esc's you get what you pay for. I've heard more than my fair share of complaints in this "segment." That being said we are working on some new products that may fit your bill.
Would one of those products be an ESC targeted for the 1s racing community (1/12 & WGT) where a booster or rx pack is no longer needed? Seems LRP and SP have offerings, but not Tekin.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Thanks. In just about anything its always "You get what you pay for". However in "blinky" class, many of the great features on the RS are just wasted. Perhaps a watered down RS with the same great low ON resistance cool running FETs zero timing and simple on board programming like back on the old G10s except brushless.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I tested a few combinations, found BD & Thunder Power motor as the quickest combo (in a Mi4cx)

I ever only used it in one 5min qualifer at a club meet, it was almost as quick as a 17.5 down the straight & after a few oop's moments on the track came from dead last to 2nd in 2min... It was that impressive, it made a couple of jerk off's from another club compliain to the offical body
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. In just about anything its always "You get what you pay for". However in "blinky" class, many of the great features on the RS are just wasted. Perhaps a watered down RS with the same great low ON resistance cool running FETs zero timing and simple on board programming like back on the old G10s except brushless.
Does it really cost any more to add the extra features? Probably not. with a brushless ESC you have to have a processor to make it all work. The only difference is the overhead (people) to do the extra programming work to add the timing and interface. To save cost you either have to reduce component costs (cheaper or fewer components) or reduce the cost to assemble the product or reduce your overhead. I would guess that Tekin uses the latest assembly methods, so there is not any savings to be had there. That leaves lower component cost or lower overhead to reach the price point. So a sub $100 esc is probably either a loss leader or a lower quality unit.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/catagory.asp?c=esc&sc=16

you get what you pay for? your not suggesting that because these don't cost over 200 bucks there no good are you??
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by slotracer577
Does it really cost any more to add the extra features? Probably not. with a brushless ESC you have to have a processor to make it all work. The only difference is the overhead (people) to do the extra programming work to add the timing and interface. To save cost you either have to reduce component costs (cheaper or fewer components) or reduce the cost to assemble the product or reduce your overhead. I would guess that Tekin uses the latest assembly methods, so there is not any savings to be had there. That leaves lower component cost or lower overhead to reach the price point. So a sub $100 esc is probably either a loss leader or a lower quality unit.
Price and cost are not always related. If you only price your goods as a mark up of your cost, that would make you a poor businessman. The price is always what the market will bear. If you can make money with that then great. If you can make a lot of money with that, even better. Many things cost far less than what they actually sell for. I am sure Tekin is making a tidy profit on their products because they are using very efficient manufacturing methods. So why should they offer a lower price product with maybe less profit? Two things: volume and market share. Its like saying why should Toyota bother making Scions when they can make more money selling Lexus. The market for sub $100 esc is there. Why else would Novak, Speed Passion, Hobbywing and etc be in it if there was no money to be made?

This is the problem with onroad. Too many people come off that you need to have the very best to par-take in this hobby leaving people the idea that a lesser budget for lesser equipement would be not worthy or worthwhile.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skypilot
http://www.speedpassion.net/us/catagory.asp?c=esc&sc=16

you get what you pay for? your not suggesting that because these don't cost over 200 bucks there no good are you??
On the contrary, not everything is expensive is all that great, hence the concept of value. However in general you do get what you pay for. In many cases we get more than what we really have use for. Kinda like going to Costco to save on toilet paper and coming out at the register with $300 receipt. In the case of competition speed controls many of them offer more features than can be used in "blinky" class. So why can't I just buy a speed control that has just what I need and not any more? Which is just what I want to pay for.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Now you have Novak getting into the zero timing esc's
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/edge/index.html

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Now you have Novak getting into the zero timing esc's
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/edge/index.html

Cheers
Rob.
Thanks, I saw that on Novak's site. It has a little bit more ON resistance than the GTB2 but I've also asked how significant that number is nowadays on another thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-anything.html
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Thanks, I saw that on Novak's site. It has a little bit more ON resistance than the GTB2 but I've also asked how significant that number is nowadays on another thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-anything.html

They are not all the same. LRP is smoother than a Tekin by a tick, BUT NOBODY HAS CUSTOMER SERVICE LIKE TEKIN!!! If you have a problem with it you are going to have a working one in your mailbox in about a week. With the others.....when they get tired of you calling them after about 4 weeks they will "try to get it out this week" (being the 5th week) I would take my hundred that I have budgeted, throw it in a jar, and drop twenty a week in there until I had enough to get a Tekin.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Is the Hobbywing Just Stock out yet? and is it ROAR legal yet?
I bought a HW "Justock" a couple of months ago, so far I kind of love it, tiny footprint on the chassis, mine seems to give a superb throttle feel and good brakes, they increased the BEC voltage and my steering servo felt a little faster than on the older versions, can't find a thing wrong with it for the $60 I paid.

Add in that you can tweak settings using the LCD programmer, makes it one of the best 'zero timing' budget units you can get, and last I checked most of the HW range is now on the ROAR list, my only gripe is they failed to submit the 2.0 range of the older units, which is dumb because you can easily prove it's running the same exact firmware as a 2.1 etc, yet it still won't be legal.

When it comes to zero profile anything, I'm not sure where anything gains ground over another ESC, for sure I'm not sure where you gain much of anything spending $200 only to lock something into a zero mode, for me while I run zero I can't be assed running anything more complex.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
I bought a HW "Justock" a couple of months ago, so far I kind of love it, tiny footprint on the chassis, mine seems to give a superb throttle feel and good brakes, they increased the BEC voltage and my steering servo felt a little faster than on the older versions, can't find a thing wrong with it for the $60 I paid.

Add in that you can tweak settings using the LCD programmer, makes it one of the best 'zero timing' budget units you can get, and last I checked most of the HW range is now on the ROAR list, my only gripe is they failed to submit the 2.0 range of the older units, which is dumb because you can easily prove it's running the same exact firmware as a 2.1 etc, yet it still won't be legal.

When it comes to zero profile anything, I'm not sure where anything gains ground over another ESC, for sure I'm not sure where you gain much of anything spending $200 only to lock something into a zero mode, for me while I run zero I can't be assed running anything more complex.
And that's why in some places zero timing is becoming popular because it's less expensive and less complicated to those both new and experienced in racing.

Another one to consider would be the XERUN 60A-SD, for an extra $25(Aus) you have an esc which has the timing feature if you feel like "stepping up" to the next level of racing or you can set it into "blinky" until you're ready to take that next step.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brokin Racing
I tested a few combinations, found BD & Thunder Power motor as the quickest combo (in a Mi4cx)

I ever only used it in one 5min qualifer at a club meet, it was almost as quick as a 17.5 down the straight & after a few oop's moments on the track came from dead last to 2nd in 2min... It was that impressive, it made a couple of jerk off's from another club compliain to the offical body
Jerk offs hey Jim...shows what a true tool you really are buddy. I think you need to get your facts straight before you run your mouth off.

Last edited by barts71m; 08-25-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.