Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TT01D Questions - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya TT01D Questions - PLEASE HELP

Hello,
I have multiple questions on a Tamiya TT01D I want to buy since I am new to RC Drifting. PLEASE GIVE A RESPONSE It has the following:

-3Racing Threaded Aluminum Shocks
-3Racing 200mm Drive Shafts
-Tamiya Aluminum Center Driveshaft
-LRP Speed Control (PIC looks like a LRP SXX TC-SPEV V2 Competition Speed Control)
-Epic Monster 27t Stock Spec Motor
-Tenergy 4600mah NIMH battery
-Traxxas TQ3 Radio

Questions:

1. First and foremost, is this a good setup for drifting?

2. I know drifting is not about power of the motor and the higher amount of turns the more torque, but is more torque better or worse for drifting and is the Epic Monster Brushed 27t motor a strong, good motor for drifting when tuned correctly with ESC? (If so how do you tune and what is the best tuning settings?)

3. How much drive time will the 4600mah NIMH battery give me?

4. Are the 3Racing parts of good quality?

5. I asked seller if the caster, camber, and upper arms are adjustable, but I received no response. How do i tell?

6. How much do you feel the car is worth? It is $150

Last edited by RcEnThUsIaSt123; 08-22-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Left out a part
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

imo the the tt0-1 is a waste of money. no matter those hop ups it is still only just above a toy grade car.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl
imo the the tt0-1 is a waste of money. no matter those hop ups it is still only just above a toy grade car.
then in your opinion what car should i look into
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Replies are appreciated

Last edited by RcEnThUsIaSt123; 08-22-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: ummm
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

TA05 series cars seem a good popular option for getting into drifting. One of the main things for you to think about is drift hop ups available.

Things like overdrive and underdrive setups. Extra steering throw mods. Diff options and mods. These things are what you need to consider with a future drift car. And because the TA05 is popular, there will be plenty of walkthroughs, parts and advice available for it.

I'm terms of motor and speed control. The theory is that a higher turn motor = more torque is slightly flawed as you can generate more torque with gearing on a lower turn motor, but it us difficult to add extra rpm in a higher turn motor. I've drifted using 27t and 20t brushed setups and 10.5t brushless setups and the 10.5 had more torque and more rpm. Because I could gear it tall, and the motor had plenty of rpm on a 2s lipo.

Speed controller isn't as important with drift, but I would suggest a sensored setup if you go brushless, they have a little better feel to them. You can get stock setups like the speed passion cirtix combo cheap. About $100.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RcEnThUsIaSt123
COME ON SOME ANSWERS PLZZ
Had I seen that before I posted I wouldn't have helped you. Nor would most people on here.

Perhaps try and keep your patience in check and finger off the caps button
Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wollow86
TA05 series cars seem a good popular option for getting into drifting. One of the main things for you to think about is drift hop ups available.

Things like overdrive and underdrive setups. Extra steering throw mods. Diff options and mods. These things are what you need to consider with a future drift car. And because the TA05 is popular, there will be plenty of walkthroughs, parts and advice available for it.

I'm terms of motor and speed control. The theory is that a higher turn motor = more torque is slightly flawed as you can generate more torque with gearing on a lower turn motor, but it us difficult to add extra rpm in a higher turn motor. I've drifted using 27t and 20t brushed setups and 10.5t brushless setups and the 10.5 had more torque and more rpm. Because I could gear it tall, and the motor had plenty of rpm on a 2s lipo.

Speed controller isn't as important with drift, but I would suggest a sensored setup if you go brushless, they have a little better feel to them. You can get stock setups like the speed passion cirtix combo cheap. About $100.

Hope that helps.
Thanks appreciate the reply i will hold off on buying. If i were to buy that combo how much total would it take to get it running and is everything adjustable? Also arent those TA05 Belt driven?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Had I seen that before I posted I wouldn't have helped you. Nor would most people on here.

Perhaps try and keep your patience in check and finger off the caps button
I am sorry i was anxious because the listing was going off soon. Please excuse me
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Hope that helps.
I looked up that car I've never heard of the speed passion combo. Is it relative in quality to cars such as the ta05
Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

You'll have to do the research for pricing on the chassis. There are a few different models. I think the latest and greatest is the TA05 v2 VDF or something like that.

Belt driven is a good idea as it's easier to get overdrive/underdrive happening, and you don't get torque steer from the mass of the rotating shaft.

Otherwise, you'll need esc and motor ($100 like I said), a good servo (look at the savox 1257 $69) and radio gear. Radio has alot of options, but I'd say something like spectrum dx3c ($129) is about the ballpark for a good radio. If you don't want multi model memory and exponential and such then flysky/hobbyking/eurgle make one for about $15. Both are 2.4ghz.

Remember to leave say about $100 in your budget for crap you don't think about normally. Things like motor pinions, wheels, tyres, body, paints etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

The speed passion cirtix combo is often used in vta and othe non-boosted racing classes as a cheap good quality speed controller and sensored brushless motor. For drift I think it's a great idea. Check out www.amainhobbies.com for the pricing and options, but I'd say you either want the 13.5 or 10.5 combos.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Tech Initiate

You'll have to do the research for pricing on the chassis. There are a few different models. I think the latest and greatest is the TA05 v2 VDF or something like that.

Belt driven is a good idea as it's easier to get overdrive/underdrive happening, and you don't get torque steer from the mass of the rotating shaft.

Otherwise, you'll need esc and motor ($100 like I said), a good servo (look at the savox 1257 $69) and radio gear. Radio has alot of options, but I'd say something like spectrum dx3c ($129) is about the ballpark for a good radio. If you don't want multi model memory and exponential and such then flysky/hobbyking/eurgle make one for about $15. Both are 2.4ghz.

Remember to leave say about $100 in your budget for crap you don't think about normally. Things like motor pinions, wheels, tyres, body, paints etc.
So your saying with a belt driven i wouldnt need to buy a servo, motor, or radio? Im sorry new to drifting, little confusing. Money is pretty tight
Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Agree with the poster who said do not buy a TT01..they are pretty bad. The TT01 is made as a toy car and really is not worth the money especially since you can have a TA05 or TB03 for the same price.

The TA05 is Tamiya's popular belt driven car, probably one of their most popular cars. There is the original TA05, which is a good 5-6 years old, the TA05-IFS which has front lay down shocks, and the TA05 version 2 which is a couple years old but most current. There is also the new TA06 which just came out a month or so ago but the jury is still out on these, although most people say they are pretty good and the TA series is so popular, I'd start with a TA05. You can find them for good prices. They also have 'R' kits which are for racing and come with several good hop ups that would be expensive buying separate. This depends on your budget.

The TB03 is Tamiya's shaft drive car. The TB03 and TA05 share several parts including suspension arms, shocks, etc. but the TB03 is shaft driven and the TA05 is belt. Most racers go with belt drive, but for drifting and parking lot bashing a shaft drive might be better. You can find a TB03 for $120-130, and a TA05 V2 for about $180, and these prices are new.

I'd definitely start with one of those two, depending on your budget. If you can afford it, look at the TA05V2R which is about $250 but comes with tons of aluminum and carbon hop ups which would be hundreds of dollars separate, but you lose the body.

And regarding Speed Passion, they make excellent products, and for $90, the SP Cirtix stock combo is a killer deal. It's their club racing 17.5 motor/esc combo and is a great starting place. Then all you need is your servo/radio system which is up to you...

Hope this helps..

Check out Speedtech for good prices on Tamiya kits and parts, I've bought a lot of stuff from them:
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=120
Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry, in this case it means additional to the kit. The only time you get it all, and it's all rubbish ones anyway, is with an rtr.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
Agree with the poster who said do not buy a TT01..they are pretty bad. The TT01 is made as a toy car and really is not worth the money especially since you can have a TA05 or TB03 for the same price.

The TA05 is Tamiya's popular belt driven car, probably one of their most popular cars. There is the original TA05, which is a good 5-6 years old, the TA05-IFS which has front lay down shocks, and the TA05 version 2 which is a couple years old but most current. There is also the new TA06 which just came out a month or so ago but the jury is still out on these, although most people say they are pretty good and the TA series is so popular, I'd start with a TA05. You can find them for good prices. They also have 'R' kits which are for racing and come with several good hop ups that would be expensive buying separate. This depends on your budget.

The TB03 is Tamiya's shaft drive car. The TB03 and TA05 share several parts including suspension arms, shocks, etc. but the TB03 is shaft driven and the TA05 is belt. Most racers go with belt drive, but for drifting and parking lot bashing a shaft drive might be better. You can find a TB03 for $120-130, and a TA05 V2 for about $180, and these prices are new.

I'd definitely start with one of those two, depending on your budget. If you can afford it, look at the TA05V2R which is about $250 but comes with tons of aluminum and carbon hop ups which would be hundreds of dollars separate, but you lose the body.

And regarding Speed Passion, they make excellent products, and for $90, the SP Cirtix stock combo is a killer deal. It's their club racing 17.5 motor/esc combo and is a great starting place. Then all you need is your servo/radio system which is up to you...

Hope this helps..
THANKS Appreciate the reply greatly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.