R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   About the T35BL or any T35 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/54384-about-t35bl-any-t35.html)

JLMG1971 11-04-2004 06:31 PM

About the T35BL or any T35

Is it ok to solder both the charger leades and the volt leads, I just don't see the point of conecting both together all the time, 4 alligators clips on the battery instead of only two...
Any problem doing this?
Thanks
J

handyrandyrc 11-04-2004 06:46 PM

One pair of the leads is for putting the charge/discharge into/out of the battery. The other pair of leads is for VERY ACCURATE voltage measurement.

The way I understand it, when you detect voltage off the same set of leads you're charging from, there can be inaccuracies.

Since you paid an arm and a leg for the best charger on the planet, you might as well NOT DEFEAT what makes it so great -- VOLTAGE MEASUREMENT ACCURACY.

Randy Clements
Salt Lake City, UT

wikedgmc 11-04-2004 09:45 PM

so how do you attach the other leads and were do you connect them??

newracer 11-05-2004 07:21 AM

directly to the battery with the small aligator clips on them

kcobra 11-05-2004 09:34 AM

Hmm. So if you are connecting the charger leads and the voltage leads to the same place on the battery, how is this any different than just soldering the voltage leads to the connectors used by the charge leads?

handyrandyrc 11-05-2004 11:00 AM

Call Competition Electronics and find out WHY. You must be more brilliant than their engineers, so give 'em a call...

Randy

kcobra 11-05-2004 01:15 PM

Bite me. I was just asking a question and didn't deserve your sarcastic reply.

myclod 11-05-2004 02:12 PM

now children....calm down....there is a reason for it, i dunno what it is, but i have seen many a racer tie both sets into one alligator clip with no adverse results but the small wires only need to be used during discharge

jsp 11-05-2004 02:26 PM

If the volt leads and the current leads use common alligator connectors there can be a large error in the voltage reading, especially during high amp discharge. If separte connecors are used, there is no voltage drop/ loss across the meter leads and the readings are accurate. This error can be be as high as .3-.4 volts. If you use only one connector, you can minimize the error by soldering the current lead to on side of the clip and the meter lead to the other side.

LeadFoot 11-05-2004 02:44 PM

kcobra:

The small leads attach internally to a voltmeter. The seperate leads are required for a more acurate reading because during charging and discharging the input/output current fluctuates and in effect causes noise that may result in false peaks while charging or having the discharge cut-off before you want it to.

It is a matter of how accurate you want to be. The Turbo Chargers all take readings from both leads but to insure you don't cook your batteries, it is highly recommended that you use the small leads for charging and discharging. Its part of how the unit is designed.

If you have more questions you should contact

"Jim Bailey" <[email protected]>

newracer 11-05-2004 09:05 PM

Quote from CE website

The voltage sensing leads (small wires) are not dependant on length. You can make tem any length you want. They need to be connected to something that is soldered directly to the battery. That is why we make them separate from the current wires (large wires). There is a voltage drop at the point where the current jumps from the battery terminal to the current clip. If you solder them to the current clips, or attach them to the current clips, the voltage is being measured after the drop occurs. A typical error would be about .30 volts with a 30 amp discharge rate. That means your 6 cell pack will cut off at 5.70 volts instead of 5.40. The current carrying wires can be lengthened, but if you want to discharge single cells at 35 amps, the wires will need to be kept original length. The calibration of the unit is not dependant on wire length, but its ability to control current at the extremes may be compromised when a lot of wire is added.