Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

Meh, one crash and it doesn't matter what transmission the car has...you lose
Old 11-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Cool

id say belts and shafts are the both great but the best....are chain drives... the ones used in motorcycles (much smaller and lighter though) If there was one, it would eliminate the problems of belts stretching and shafts bending.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by cooliomojo-CEBU
id say belts and shafts are the both great but the best....are chain drives... the ones used in motorcycles (much smaller and lighter though) If there was one, it would eliminate the problems of belts stretching and shafts bending.
How old are you mate ??

There have been a few chain driven cars !! all that i can remember where along time ago though like 1990 or something. Belts and Shafts have been the way forward
Old 11-05-2004, 02:00 AM
Tech Addict

Cool

ows? didnt know that they had chains before. i was thinking that chains were ridiculous but as i pondered over it, it could be a good drive train for rc's as well but as you have mentioned, theyre outdated...i guess im just too new in the hobby to know. merciless, you from australia? would you be interested in coming to the Philippines for a national race that our track will be hosting.it will be sometime april next year. you can crash at my palce if you want.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Tech Addict

Cool

ooopss,, sorry i wasnt readingMerciless is from the UK. the offer still stands though.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by cooliomojo-CEBU
ooopss,, sorry i wasnt readingMerciless is from the UK. the offer still stands though.
That very kind of you, but your a fair way off off me i'm affraid some 6700 miles
Old 11-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At one stage (mid 80's off road), chain drive was the most common type of drivetrain. Unfortunately, most of the designs involved running the chains on long guides which increased drag noticeably.

AYK sorted that out on their Pro radiant and Boost buggies by using the same open layout as most belt drives, but by then it was too late as there was no advancement in chain materials (for r/c use anyway), where as belt and shaft drives have had continuous improvements in the quality of materials used.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

have u guys ever wondered this belt drive and shaft drive sort of thing is much like fashion? a certain type of transmission will be popular for awhile and all the companies jumping on the bandwagon to cash in on it, then afterwards as the trend changes, everyone jumps onto a different wagon to cash in on a different 'style' of transmission.
i think that they r very similar ultimately in performance, but many of us are misguided by manufacturers thinking one is better than the other. Much like the fashion world, as if fashion is truly about clothe, then we would all be wearing the same clothe type and style and color!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post shaft or belt..

Just buy what you like and suits your driving style ... Both are very good and competive ...
Old 11-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Originally posted by S-T-R-l-K-E-R
honestly IT DOES NOT MATTER!!! yes the "shafties got belted at the worlds and at the race of champions" but you have to remember!!! THREE letters!!! P....R...O!! these are pro drivers top caliber and the best in the world. not to mention they gel all the best batts, motors, prototype $hit. IMO you should keep an eye at the expert level. these are more of the regular joe's. which cars dominate and which brands get smoked.

basically this is a question of what is more suited to you driving style.

SHAFT :
cons
-torque steer
-chassis tweek (if you tweek your car on a board its energy at rest. when you go on the throttle you create an energy what makes the car transfer weight left to right due to action of the motor)

pros
-supa free drivetrain = great acceleration
-not as hard to maintain esp if it has a sealed drivetrain

belts
cons
-faster wear (belt)
-less acceleration

pros
-less wear on other drivetrain parts (outdrives, cvd, etc.)
-supa smooth acceleration
-no torque steer = more consistent laps

bottomline_____________________________
shaft cars are great for stock racing. get the advantage over the other cars using a supa free drivetrain and torque steer isnt much noticable.

belt cars are nice for mod racing . get a supa smooth/linear acceleration and better handling cause you loose torque steer which is quite noticale on shaft cars ESP> on mod racing.

I agree with striker...