Belt Driven vs. Shaft Driven

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belt Driven vs. Shaft Driven

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Torque steer is also dependent on the diffs of the car and traction on each wheel. So belts can suffer from Torque steer

Both belt and shaft have noise, its more likley the Frequency of the noise which makes it sound silent????

It doesn't matter what drive train type it is as long as it is free from binding and smooth (and a Tamiya )
Old 11-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Tech Champion

this is crazy wars : the shaft vs. the belts

I don't care as long as as the car moves forward
Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by bender
I'm sure there are a few people who understand what you're saying (i'm one ), but you appear to be so one-sided in your assesment that you are only stating facts that prove your point, yet there are other factors to consider.

Now I am not going to debate which is better, but I will add some facts that have been mis interperated, missed altogether, or just plain stated wrong.

Fact: Many belt cars don't use or need tensioners. Key word, MANY

Fact: Ball bearings, as efficient as they are, still create friction, and shaft drive cars have more bearings. True

Fact: Shaft drive's do suffer from torque steer, even though it is very minimal, and it is a result of an off-set longitudinally mounted motor. Correct

Fact: Noise DOES equal friction! When two surfaces of differing hardness/strength/material are rubbing together, they create less friction than two surfaces of the same material. Think about that when looking at the drive train of a belt or shaft car. False

Fact: friction losses in a shaft drive car are at their maximum at full speed, friction losses in a belt drive car are at their minimum at full speed, and vice versa under acceleration. False, the friction causes the belts to flex. How many teeth make contact w/ YOUR belt drive car's diff? Two teeth touch in a 39/16 shaft drive car. But you are right about acceleration.

It's all well and good to try and blind people with science to "win" an argument, but this doesn't make your statement any more believable when they are biased. Blind people? Win? I'm just trying to give physics LAWS to explain what creates friction in a belt driven car. I could do the same thing for shaft driven cars.

Bottom line: any advantage gained in one area by one type of drivetrain is lost in another area.
Result= belt and shaft are equal
Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

The only thing I have to say is I hope all the manufacturers don't go one way or the other... We need choices out there between belt and shaft.... I currently run a Yok SD and a TC3 and I'm looking to add the Xray to my collection soon....
Old 11-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default shaft drive 4 me

ive tried the losi xxx-s an i didnt like it much. so i got a tc3 an i love it.its seems so much easier to setup and to keep clean.but i want be upgrading to the tc4 just yet i see no reason to. my tc3 is fast an i put a lot of time in to it,ive did just about everything to my tc3 tahts done to the tc4/ackerman steering,batts moved in closer to shaft,open motor hole up,etc. well just my 2 cents

Steven Alexander
Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Default shaft drive 4 me

ive tried the losi xxx-s an i didnt like it much. so i got a tc3 an i love it.its seems so much easier to setup and to keep clean.but i want be upgrading to the tc4 just yet i see no reason to. my tc3 is fast an i put a lot of time in to it,ive did just about everything to my tc3 tahts done to the tc4/ackerman steering,batts moved in closer to shaft,open motor hole up,etc. dont get me wrong belt cars r good for people who like belt cars,dont want to sound liek im downing belts cars but shaft cars suit me more(i guess watever u perfer).well just my 2 cents

Steven Alexander
Old 11-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default shaft drive 4 me

ive tried the losi xxx-s an i didnt like it much. so i got a tc3 an i love it.its seems so much easier to setup and to keep clean.but i want be upgrading to the tc4 just yet i see no reason to. my tc3 is fast an i put a lot of time in to it,ive did just about everything to my tc3 thats done to the tc4/ackerman steering,batts moved in closer to shaft,open motor hole up,etc. dont get me wrong belt cars r good for people who like belt cars,dont want to sound liek im downing belts cars but shaft cars suit me more(i guess watever u perfer).well just my 2 cents

Steven Alexander
Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember to check your spelling and press the post button once though.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, shaft drivers can always say "Belties got Shafted". Works both ways
Old 11-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

I think due to layout, belt drive cars will always be more balanced than shaft cars. I use a TC3 for outdoor, and an XXX-S for indoors.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Genem
I think due to layout, belt drive cars will always be more balanced than shaft cars. I use a TC3 for outdoor, and an XXX-S for indoors.
How do you figure this? A XXX-S still has the belt running down the middle, the batteries on one side and the electronics on another...same as any shaft car.

Besides you can always add weight to the car to balance it.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by FlyinGT
Did u say hpi belts ?? the pro4 is a shaft drive ... an if u are talkin about the pro3 then u are goin way back
You forgot the Pro2. Still going strong

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 11-04-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
You forgot the Pro2. Still going strong
now thats evn further back ..lol

but i heard it was a good car for it's time ...

Also note wat ppl have been saying ....
an it seems that most ppl are either on belt or shaft drive

now thats due to the fact that they have either one of them
an they have found it to b comfortable an easy for them to look after, they have exprienced it for themselves so for them a particular drivetrain will work best to their drivng style ..

the only real way of asking which is better is to actually try it 4 ur self, u may have different expriences to others
so like me trial an error until u find a car u like ...!!

the belt Vs shaft debate is pointless, if u don't have the skills it won't matter if u got a shaft or belt.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Genem
Well at least this belt car might...JRXS. Only time will tell.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Belts are for pants
Shafts are for elevators

They both serve their purpose.......and are equal, any given driver will probably have better luck with one or the other. That doesnt make THAT style better.....everyone needs a little conflict in their life....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.