Wiki Posts
Search

M8 Synthesized...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Clean Lines

I think it will also be cool that there won't have to be any anteanna holes drilled in the bodies anymore!! Nice clean looking R/C cars running around out there.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Hmmm........What about all the other things running on 2.4 Ghz like cordless phones, wireless internet, etc.? And what if somebody fires one of these devices after you've taken the channel? It's a great idea but I don't know many other devices are going to eat up the available channels.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello racers!!!
I would like to know if someone has test the synthesized M8 radio and reciver in a gas car, I would like to know if all the vibrations of the car can make glitches. It is the only thing that makes me think twice before get one.

Thank you.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Roedor
Hello racers!!!
I would like to know if someone has test the synthesized M8 radio and reciver in a gas car, I would like to know if all the vibrations of the car can make glitches. It is the only thing that makes me think twice before get one.

Thank you.
I ran all last season synthesized without glitching, I think it is just as reliable as crystaled equipment.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Default Spektrum DSM System

Originally posted by Brent
Hmmm........What about all the other things running on 2.4 Ghz like cordless phones, wireless internet, etc.? And what if somebody fires one of these devices after you've taken the channel? It's a great idea but I don't know many other devices are going to eat up the available channels.
That is where the failsafe comes in....The FCC requires that all 2.4Ghz DSS devises be "smart"- incorporating collision avoidance such that when any DSS system is turned on, it scans the 2.4GHz band until a channel that is not being used is found then begins transmitting on that unused channel. It has been tested significantly and has been in use with allot of the "Pro" drivers for a bit now. I don't believe they would put something like this out on the market without addressing these issue before the general R/C population gets it. Check out their site and email them yourself with questions and concerns and Im' sure they would address them for you.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/
Old 11-05-2004, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Here you go - I'll cut and paste for you

Previously asked questions:

What is DSM?
DSM or Digital Spectrum Modulation is a form of digital spread spectrum modulation that had been developed and optimized for R/C use.

What channel will I be on?
The DSM system scans the 2.4GHz band and finds a channel that is not being used. Once an open channel is found the transmitter begins transmitting on that unused channel. The DSM System has an available spectrum of 79 channels. In the unlikely event that the spectrum is full, the 80th system will not connect or cause any interference, going into "hold scan" until a channel is free.

Won't other 2.4Ghz devices like phones and wireless computers cause interference?
No, the FCC requires that all 2.4Ghz DSS devises be "smart"- incorporating collision avoidance such that when any DSS system is turned on, it scans the 2.4GHz band until a channel that is not being used is found then begins transmitting on that unused channel.

What is the range?
Typical range is about 3000ft. depending on conditions.

What kind of response time does Spread Spectrum have?
Spectrum's DSM system is optimized to give the fastest possible response time of 5.6ms. Typical FM systems offer a response time of 12 to 18ms.

Will the DSM system affect or be affected by other transmitters on 27 or 75mhz or lap counting systems?
No. The DSM system operates in the 2.4Ghz ISM band and is well above the range of any equipment including lap-counting systems presently in use.

What type of telemetry will be available?
The first optional telemetry module will include the ability to monitor Real-time engine temperature, engine rpm, speed in mph or kph, battery voltage, signal strength and individual lap times. We hope have this telemetry module available in early spring.

So I can just turn on my radio any time with out worry of getting or causing interference?
Exactly!

Are you going to develop this for aircraft?
Well, applying Spread Spectrum to airplane use involves different challenges from surface. The unit we are presenting today was four years in development. We will try, but whether aircraft Spread Spectrum ever happens in production or not by us is unknown right now.

Will the KO Helios module also work with the KO EX-1 Mars, KO Esprit, KO Vantage Esprit 2, etc.?
The Spektrum KO module will only fit the Helios and Mars. The two-stick systems use a different module that we may eventually manufacture if there is enough demand.

Will this be available for the Multiplex 707 series radios?
Sorry, but the modules will be available only for JR, Airtronics, Futaba/Hitec and KO pistol grip radios.

Will this device work for the Futaba 3PJ?
The Futaba Module fits the 3PK and the 3PJ systems.

Does the receiver have an antenna? If so, how long is it?
Yes, the stock antenna is 8.5" long making mounting the antenna easy. What is more, if you prefer a shorter antenna, you can carefully cut the Spektrum receiver antenna to just 3.6" and not lose any performance. This way, you can keep the antenna inside the body.

Does the antenna have to be vertical?
The antenna can be either vertical, or start out vertical and then bend to horizontal. The only condition to be avoided is having a completely horizontal antenna.

Sounds like a lot of magic to me. How do we know it will work?
The system has been extensively tested for months by Horizon and Team Losi drivers, in some of the worst areas in the country. It worked flawlessly in all cases. What's more, at the recent 1/10th World's in Kissimmee, FL, we had about two dozen units in use by many pro-class drivers. No one had a glitch. In fact, we had some drivers who were being glitched, switched to DSM, and their troubles went away.

Can the DSM system be certified for use worldwide?
Since the Spektrum DSM system operates on the 2.4 GHz world-wide ISM band (ISM stands for Industrial Science and Medical), your Spektrum system is legal to operate in virtually any country throughout the world.

Can this TX be modified for more than three channels?
Our first release is designed for three channels only.

Why is it "surface only"?
Surface and air operations are very different in nature. The current system is designed to be used only with surface models. The module will not work with air transmitters. Do not operate on any aircraft - parameters are different for flight. We are looking at these matters, but right now, there is no telling if reliable aircraft operations can be attained.

Can the 75MHz channels that we are currently using be used at the same time with the DSM system when it comes out?
The DSM is on 2.4GHz and has absolutely no effect on 27MHz or 75MHz frequencies.

A lot of high end radios alternate ways of transmitting, for example on a Futaba you run PCM, FM, or HRS depending on your receiver, when I plug this into my Futaba radio, what setting would I leave it on, or does it matter?
It is essential that all transmitters be operating on PPM modulation.

When the temp reading device comes out where will this data be displayed and will there be an option for an audio alert if the temp maybe gets to high while racing? How much more expensive will the "telemetry modules" be?
That data will be displayed on a handheld reader. A programmable tone alerting a "max temp" is likely. Pricing of the plug-in telemetry module (that plugs into the receiver) sensors, and the handheld reader are in the works. Stay tuned for more info!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the info. post yeah thats true this system is going to rock the RC world if it works and happens. No more shouting out what freq. your on etc.. just turn on and it dials in.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Awesome system

Won't that be nice......Especially if everyone has them someday!!! I wonder if the radio companies will embrace this and start selling the modules as an option with their radio's??? It will most likely be cheaper from Spektrum direct.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Big KAT
I had to tighten mine up some, for my taste.
I already found that screw, its for the wheel. Mine is as tight as it goes, now they need one for the trigger.