R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Red face HPI E10 HELP!!! im a noob

hi all i recently got into rc drifting, i recently purchased a HPI E10 touring/drifting rc car. i find its a user friendly and easy to run.
i have bought an aluminum center drive shaft and a firebolt 15T motor and a castle heat sink with a mounted fan.
since i installed the three i found that my car acts weird.
such as lagg in controlling the car, when i start the drift suddenly i cant control it for about 5-7 secs...?... i have no idea what it could be. its like i lose connection. also was wondering what else i should upgrade prior to the 15T motor.(not sure what to run with it )
pretty much everything else is stock!
need advice!
Dboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Can the ESC handle the 15t? Otherwise it would go in thermal protection, explaining the interrups.

BenjaminX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

i have no idea, i was at my LHS and the dude said if it gets hot let the motor cool down, also if it gets hot to fast i may have to change my gearing..>?
where can i find some info on my electronic equipment?
what ESC do u recommend running with the 15T? i have a SC-15WP installed (which is stock)
Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

is the same happening with your stock motor? Or just with firebolt? Don't really remember how was with that esc (i used it long time ago) but firebolt is not very powerful so should be no problem. Your esc should work with min 15t, but things happenes. First check esc with stock motor witch is if my memory is good 21t or 28t.
anyway for drifting 15t firebolt is not great, you should use motor with more t and more powefull.
r o g e r g r a f i x . c o m

roger999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First thing you may want to do is to put all the stock stuff that came with the car - motor, drives haft and take the heatsink off.

Then with it set back up to how it came from the factory give it a run and see how it goes, if it goes all well then install one thing at a time, eg- heat sink, drive shaft, 15t motor.

Without seeing the car my guess would also be that the 15t motor is drawing too much current for the speed control to handle. If you want a better motor for drifting then I'd reccomend starting off with a Tamiya "Sports tuned 540", it's basically the same as the standard motor but with a little bit of extra power.

The next upgrade you should look at after you get your problem sorted is a set of ball bearings for the car, these can be bought at various hobby shops and online stores. The ball bearings will make your car run smoother, faster and will have less drag on the rotating parts etc.

Hope you get the probs all sorted out

BSR BT-4 / Turnigy / Hobbywing / Savox / Trackstar
Serpent Eyrx2 & ARC R10, Hybrid / Orca /Hobbywing /Savox / ProAmps
Castle Hill Raceway
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

thank you all for the info but it ran more smoother and better when it was stock no lag or transmitting errors, probs came after installment.
anyways gonna look at upgrading the esc anyways what do you guys recommend? i like the 15T its much fast than stock. gonna eventually get a faster and better motor, looking to run at least 50 kmh what motor and esc do u guys recommend?
also gonna get some bearings soon when i pick up my supra body

15t, drift, drifting, hpi, hpi e10