Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Now for something completely different... >

Now for something completely different...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Now for something completely different...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Now for something completely different...

Hey,

I know that lots of racers will laugh, but here in Oshkosh at the Hobbytown track there are about two or three dozen guys that race Electric Off-road kits on a carpet roadcourse. We use foam tires, traction compound and the whole nine yards. My question is this: Are there other tracks that do this? Where, what turnout, stock or mod, and how long have you been doing this?
We are having a bit of internal dissention. Some of the sedan and GTP guys are making a stink that we shouldn't be allowed to run on "their" night, but there has never been a "No Gearbox night" at our track ever. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There was an indoor carpet offroad track in Sydney, it closed recently I think because lack of numbers. At our club we started with just onroad (nitro) but a heap of off roaders started coming so they race as well, in their own classes of course. A few on road guys had a bit of a cry that its for onroad etc, but after a bit of time everyone got used to it. Now its the offroaders who draw the crowds.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Dan ,

Last night was my first time ever to your track and I have never seen so many off roaders racing on the carpet before. I feel that if someone shows interest in racing and wants to support the track I cannot see what the problem would be. You have the biggest class there. Doesnt that make it YOUR night? What is the difference if you run what you do or if you would all be running t-specs or some other car class. Time cannot be a factor as it would run just as long, And you dont interfere in any way with any of the other classes. Having all those racers around the carpet just increases the chance of one of them picking up a sedan or a 12th scale and joining in. Plus it is a racetrack what are you supposed to be doing on it?
Old 10-31-2004, 04:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

that whould be awesome....ill have to talk to my club about that 1......we also run on carpet
Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here in CT we have been racing them on carpet for years. 15 years ago we ran an aluminum chassis RC10 with foams and NASCAR bodies on a banked carpet oval. Many people even raced 2wd stadiun trucks. Today most tracks are running carpet off road with carpet covered plywood jumps. 2wd stadium trucks, Emaxxes and Mini-T's are the classes. We dont run buggys since the exposed shock towers can tear the carpet in a crash. Lots of fun!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:23 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At the track I race at they run modified trucks once a week using foam or rubber tires. The kits seem to be Losi and AE trucks.

I'm not a fan of it as far as wanting to join it, but I think it's awesome to watch. It's probably one of the more entertaining heats of the night. The trucks are as fast as the open-stock sedans, and the course is tight so there is a lot of running over one another, and mixing it up in general. When a crash occurs it's always good to watch as the trucks tend to get lots of air and roll several times which gets a lot of audible reaction from the crowd.

I've never heard anyone say they shouldn't run. I see no reason why they cannot unless they are actually damaging the track, which I don't think they are.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

They have a track up in Rapid City, SD and that is the most popular class.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as long as people show up for it run it.. as long as they run the same direction on the track it should be fine... the people complaining need to realize, there entry fee alone is not enough to keep a track like revoulution going... whatever it takes to keep the place open as far as classes should be run...
Old 10-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can see racing off roads trucks on carpet if there was no please else to run. BUT There is a indoor dirt track 50ft away that is not getting used.
Why is that?
What most of the onroad guys are moaning about is that some of the offroad drivers are rookies and that makes it very dangerous to practice when these stampedes are bouncing all over the place.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:39 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Skip: Did you see that on the very first day of using their new carpet, the Madison guys had a big hole in it thanks to a truck? It was sad, but for some reason I had to laugh.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our club RC OTTAWA started running an electric offroad night at our indoor ozite track. Our club being 100% owned and operated by members(not a hobby shop) means we needed to expand beyond the onroad racers. Rent is tuff to come up with if you eliminate classes.

We run mid week races. A group built some jumps and gathered some offroad type opsticals to use on the track. We normally lay out an oval type of track and use scrap carpet for landing jumps off of and shag for some terrain changes. Our rules are relaxed and basically we ask that all cars a cleaned of all dirt and low pin carpet friendly tires are used. 6 cell stock motors give us more then enough speed.

ANway im a TC racer but found this to be a very fun relaxed from of racing. No one gets to sereious and everyone has a blast. Most importantly it opens the track on a night nothing was happening on and brings in the much needed funds to pay of rent.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default conversions

check this out http://factoryworks.com/SM%2022%202%20TN.jpg they used to sell foams for the losi and ascociated trucks but dont know if they still carry them but they do have some trick shock towers

Last edited by howard hudson; 10-31-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com/ go here for truck and buggy foams.. set it up so the trucks practice then the sedans practice.. its common sence u dont put both together.. and if there is no planned practice u guys need to talk to the race director and tell him...
Old 10-31-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

I run at a track in Bloomington IL and we run a gearbox class every week. They race trucks on carpet with foams. Very strange but I have never heard any complaints. We use to run jumps and bumps but dont now that we built a new race facility with new carpet. We have a ride height restriction of 1/2" and a minimum tire size of I think 2.5" (so guys dont run touring car tires). They run trc blue and green compound foams. The trucks are fun to watch and look to handle well, I know I hate to marshall them things though.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default A reply:

Some thoughts:
1. It is true that the skill level of the drivers and the speed of Stampedes and Gearboxes are vastly different than that of a Sedan. It should be more deliniated as to when certain vehicles have practice time. That can't be blamed on the drivers.
2. I can't explain why more drivers at the Revolution Raceway aren't using the Dirt Track. I've heard that some drivers consider it too loose and/or small. Granted that they are usually more inexperienced, but personally (I've won the Stampede class on several different surfaces/venues) it is a big adjustment from Outdoor or the Roadcourse. Personally I don't prefer that track because of it's condition and the level of competition there.
3. How else are some of the drivers who would only come on Friday night see the fun and challenge of a really good Sedan or GTP race? I was inspired to get out my TC3 to race it by the quality of driving in the Sedan foam and rubber classes. Those guys were very impressive!
**I think that if a sufficient number of Trucks/Buggies or Stampedes show up it shouldn't be an issue because we are all there to have fun and get some bragging rights!**

I invite anyone with an electric Truck/Buggy or Stampede to come out and race! Plus there would be more people to watch the great Sedan racing! It is a fun challenge to race the gearbox class with the foams! More to come later.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.