R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   question about lipo charging (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/539071-question-about-lipo-charging.html)

J SiN 08-05-2011 02:04 AM

question about lipo charging

I have a Swallow Advance charger and it only can charger upto 5000mh lipo's according to the manual.
I have a battery that is 5600mh will it be ok to charge it or will I need a new charger?

olly986 08-05-2011 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by J SiN (Post 9484812)
I have a Swallow Advance charger and it only can charger upto 5000mh lipo's according to the manual.
I have a battery that is 5600mh will it be ok to charge it or will I need a new charger?

At 5 amps it will be fine (5000mh) I have the same problem with one of my charger.

240Z 08-05-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by J SiN (Post 9484812)

No, you don't need a new charger.

Chargers are rated at the max charge rate in Amps or mA they can charge at. Think of it like filling a bucket. The bigger hose you use, the faster it will fill. If you wanted to charge a 100,000mAh battery with it you could, it just takes more time.

Remember to always check the battery specification to see what the maximum recommended charge rate is. if you have a low capacity battery, it is possible to do damage to the battery by charging at too high of a charge rate. Kind of like filling a spoon with a fire hose.

Evoracer 08-05-2011 04:20 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think this has anything to do with charge rate. I think it has to do with charge TIME. Most chargers will only charge till the battery reaches a full charge, is fully balanced (assuming you were balance charging) OR for only a given amount of time based on maximum mah. In other words...if the battery just won't reach a peak charge or balance, the charger will keep trying for a given amount of time before it simply "times out".
I have to wonder whether a 5600 could reach it's peak rate when the charger is only set up for a max of 5000mah. ??

J SiN 08-06-2011 12:26 AM

Thats what I was thinking.

I will use the charger until I can afford a newer one.

Thanks for the help guys

Bishop 08-06-2011 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 9487316)
I have to wonder whether a 5600 could reach it's peak rate when the charger is only set up for a max of 5000mah. ??

LiPo packs charge to voltage not amps, hit full volts on anything and it's charged, amps barely have anything to do with it reaching a full charge.

ozzy-crawl 08-06-2011 12:56 AM

it will charge fine, unless your discharging your batteries to far you don't use the entire capacity. safe bet is around 80% discharge.
you will probably find you only put 4,000-4,500 mah back in. worst comes to worst if it hits full capacity just restart the charger.
on a side note, just check as some chargers allow you to adjust the capacity up a bit.