R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Default Brakes ?

I asked some experienced local drivers recently if they used brakes when driving stock 1/10 EP Touring Cars and they both said no. They essentially let the motors drag, when the throttle was in the neutral position, to slow the car. I read elsewhere people talking about applying brakes at the very end of the straightaway(prior to turning wheel) to slow the car. I read about setting brake profile on the esc, so it seems that some drivers make use of the ESC's braking function

I am wondering what is best. I seems a little difficult to actually push the trigger forward to engage brakes and then quickly pull it back to center or to actually power on. How do you gauge just how far to push it forward to apply just the right amount of brakes.

Lately I have been experimenting with what I think is called a 'drag brake' (setting my transmitter so that when the trigger is at neutral it is actually applying some brake). This has helped me avoid overshooting on 180 degree hairpin turns. I seems that I need more brake in this situation, than just the drag of the motor would provide if neutral were actually neutral.

So I guess my question is when and how should one actually use the braking function of the ESC.(and is it something a rookie or non expert driver should even try)

Also a realted question what exactly goes on electricly when you activate the brake function by pushing the trigger forward.
I understand what was happening when I had the reverse activated on my ESC. THe ESC was reverseing the polarity of the DC power which initially slows the car and once the car stops the motor rotates in the opposite way sending it backwards.
How does the brake function work electricly if reverse is disabled. Does it send pulses of alternating polarity to the motor or does it send reverse polarity pulses just until the motor stops rotating?
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It depends on the track. A super high bite track usually doesn't need much braking from the driver to get the car into the corner but a slippery track might need more. Most people dont set their car up with extra drag brake. Alot of guys set their car to creep forward when running a stock motor because stock motors have even more drag.

Just set your transmitter so the car almost creeps forward when sitting still and practice giving your car the braking it needs with your trigger finger. After a while it will become automatic. When I ran a ran a track, I advised some of the new drivers to keep their transmitter im there hand as much as possible, such as while watching TV. Keep practicing the movements you make while driving, slow and smooth. It will help you to become a better driver.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Tech Regular

you should almost never use brakes in stock. The key to it is momentum. In general, if you need to make a turn in stock, you need more steering because a stock motor will almost always apply enough breaking to get the car to turn. Mod is the only time you should want to use breaks.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

i agree with most that has been said in this topic. on carpet and tarmac you should not need to brake at all. as you will loose too much time, unless it was a long straight onto a rediculasly tight cicaine or somthing.

use a stick radio its much easier to brake than straining your finger. :P
[SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Paul Heyhoe[/COLOR][/SIZE]
pheyhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

If you have an epa on your radio for the throttle, turn down the brake to about 40%. Set it so that it will cause your car to slow down, but not lock up the wheels.
1989 Mazda Rx7
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I've got a function on my ESC (mtroniks-cirrus) that works like this... When I hit the brakes, it applies a big snap of braking power for a split second then back to coast mode. After the initial brake, I can hold it all day and it will still coast....I'd have to essentially pump the brake to get the car ot stop. I only use it sometimes and usually to drop the nose of the car real quick when I'm setting up for a turn or adjusting the nose of the car while its jumping.

its a cool feature though. Other than that, I really never use the brakes....in stock at-least.
Chris Woods

TQ Racing Wire
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
Tech Elite

mtc3od hit the nail on the head.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

i have never used the brakes when racing[stock].........you simply dont need to
pink pac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Depending on the track. Most of the time brakes aren't really necessary in maintaining the right line, but when racing, you often have to improvise to move through the pack, and with a spool, you can brake late when racing to the corner.
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

well........you dont really have any brakes when you use a 1way
pink pac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I never use the brakes unless i over shoot a corner at ridiculous speed, even then i try not to as i use a front oneway...

Even when i had my TA04 id only use the bakes if i was going to crash.. I spose i learnt to drive without brakes so i dont rely on them...
MrRolla is offline   Reply With Quote