Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
diying VTA wheels >

diying VTA wheels

diying VTA wheels

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default diying VTA wheels

I drove my bf VTA car the other day and loved it. now I want my own so I can race.

I just got me a TC3 online and it on it way. I also just got me a body and am in the process of getting that finished. trying to decide rather to back the translucent frost pink with silver or white.

Well my bf told me about wheels that you can dye so I decided to get me some and dye them hot pink the only thing is I don't know what colors to mix to make pink, what kind of dye to get or how long to leave it in to make it hot pink.

If you have dyed wheels before please help me
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

When you mention pink wheels, I'll refer you to the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.
"
MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.... All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.
"
emphasis added to "MOST IMPORTANTLY" and "realistic looking".

Pink wheels = blaahhhh!!

...but, if you must: RIT dye, found in Publix / Kroger, will dye anything. Leave it in a pot you don't plan to EVER use again for food and boil the hell out of it. 20 minutes or more for each piece (depending on plastic type - some are quicker). Do not spill it....

-Drew

Last edited by cation3; 08-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl
I drove my bf VTA car the other day and loved it. now I want my own so I can race.

I just got me a TC3 online and it on it way. I also just got me a body and am in the process of getting that finished. trying to decide rather to back the translucent frost pink with silver or white.

Well my bf told me about wheels that you can dye so I decided to get me some and dye them hot pink the only thing is I don't know what colors to mix to make pink, what kind of dye to get or how long to leave it in to make it hot pink.

If you have dyed wheels before please help me
Good on you joining the VTA madness and good luck with the pink wheels.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Paint them, and You MUST use a barbie as driver.... Its stated in the rules! If you use the proper wheels then who cares what color they are. Paint away sister!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Maybe try liquid tape to mask off the outside lip and paint only the spoke of the rim.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The closest I can think of is make sure you get white wheels and use red fabric dye. I have discovered through experimentation that the wheels will first turn pink, then red, getting darker the longer you leave them in.

Put the wheels in and watch them like a hawk. They will probably be pink inside 2 minutes depending on water temperature, dye, wheel permeability, etc.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cation3
"
MOST IMPORTANTLY: If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.... All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final.
"

Pink wheels = blaahhhh!!

...but, if you must: RIT dye, found in Publix / Kroger, will dye anything. Leave it in a pot you don't plan to EVER use again for food and boil the hell out of it. 20 minutes or more for each piece (depending on plastic type - some are quicker). Do not spill it....

-Drew
yeah we know the rules, well i do, but who cares this is fun club racing, me or her will most likely never attend any other race then the local one, few guys body's are not totally legal, if you read there is NO florescent colors or wild paint job in VTA, I can name 3 that's not legal cause of that.

You pretty much said the same thing i did, however my wal-mart did not have pink, only green,blue,orange guess I will look at Kroger.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CORRRCR
Paint them, and You MUST use a barbie as driver.... Its stated in the rules! If you use the proper wheels then who cares what color they are. Paint away sister!
Yea I know a guy who has pink wheels for VTA lol. I

Never thought about putting barbie as the driver haha good Idea

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Good on you joining the VTA madness and good luck with the pink wheels.
yea just if I can beat my bf in a race I be doing GOOD! haha and thanks I hope they come out the color I'm wanting

Originally Posted by ZiG-87
The closest I can think of is make sure you get white wheels and use red fabric dye. I have discovered through experimentation that the wheels will first turn pink, then red, getting darker the longer you leave them in.

Put the wheels in and watch them like a hawk. They will probably be pink inside 2 minutes depending on water temperature, dye, wheel permeability, etc.
Will any fabric dye work? I found one kind at walmart it was already pink, but was told only ritz dye would work.

Originally Posted by cation3
"
"

Pink wheels = blaahhhh!!

-Drew

Pink = awesome

My next body and wheels will be all red and black(GA bulldawgs color yea baby )
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails diying VTA wheels-wednesday-night-ta-041.jpg   diying VTA wheels-wednesday-night-ta-040.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
+1 is that his and hers?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
+1 is that his and hers?
nope...my wife and daughter....

Ive been looking for the writeup Brian Smith did about dying wheels...its in the VTA paint thread and Ive gone back 10 pages and dont see it...but its real detailed and should be your best bet for results..Ive seen his, and they look great
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We have a local racer that colored his wheels. Not sure if they were dyed or painted.

http://snowyphoto.photoshelter.com/g...0005OFv2ef0w9o
Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Be patient and lay on several layers of the frost pink until it looks like a sucker or even darker than that. Then back it with what ever silver you like depending on the grain of metal flake that you want. I suggest Pactra Indy Silver or Tamiya I forget the name of the Tamiya but they have a few shades that are nice for their metal flake.

For the Wheels you can buy the white ones and dye them pink with Rit dye or you can get the silver ones and paint the centers black and hit the rim with frost pink. That would Rawk!

Last edited by snoopyrc; 08-02-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
pm him...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/indyrc_racer.html
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dyed these wheels with Rit fabric dye.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.