R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-22-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Storing batteries........

I'm only racing nitro this summer and I'm wondering if theres any particular way I should store my batteries. Could I just discharge to 0v and dead short them until I use them again? The batteries are mostly 2400's and a few SMH's.......
DJ_GenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:07 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Nimh must be stored charged if they are to be stored for any length of time. (You can store them discharged for periods of less than a week or so).

Nicads I would just discharge down to 5.4 volts but I don't dead short under any circumstances because I don't think the gains are worth the effects of the one time you short the wrong pack. I'm not sure if long term dead shorting would be beneficial to the cell though.

With any type of cell you will need to cycle it before you use it again if it has been stored for any length of time or it will perform flat. False peaking may also occur for the first couple of charges. Should be fine after that though.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:38 AM   #3
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to GKC

I would recommend storing your SMHs without any charge in them. Run a cycle through them once every 2 weeks and store at 5.40v. Storing with partial charge will cause a drop in runtime.

For NiCds, store them at 5.40V will do, no need to run cycles through them, i feel that once a month will do.

Visit SMC's website for more details on how to take care of your packs. Hope this helps.
GKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 07:26 AM   #4
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to Cracker78

Well I am no battery expert, but I will just let you know of my experience with storing batteries. Now, the batteries in question are 1700 scrc's (the black ones) so i dont know how well this will apply. I had quit the hobby about 6-7 years ago but never sold any of my stuff. Just recently (about 5 months ago) I dusted everything off and started up again. I had left my batteries in my basement in a box. They all had been drained to 0v per cell (i had a homemade pin-board with toaster wire at the time). Now when i pulled out the batteries some 7 years later, I was very curious as to how they would hold up. So I cycled each pack once and then took them racing. Surprisingly they hold up for 4mins in mod/foam sedan (unfortunately the race is 5mins) and 5min in rubber/stock sedan. Now I was curious to see how much the cells had degraded since i purchased them eons ago. Since I 'matched' my packs with a ce linear turbocharger (the little white one) and I luckly still had the stickers on the cells that i had made, I could once again use the same charger and match them again. after a laborious week of babysitting the charger and cells, the results are in. it appears the each cell on average dropped 30 seconds since i bought them 7 years ago. now it is important to note that both cycle specs(7 years ago and now) were only at a 3 amp charge and a 10 amp discharge, because thats all the charger would do. But alas just last week, my old cells started venting on me so I decided to retire them to practice packs and order some new ones.

I hope this sheds some light for your storage question. I know most people just say 'do this' and not know why. I just wanted to let people know what I had experienced and you can draw your own conclusions.

Good Luck
Cracker78 is offline   Reply With Quote