Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are lipo weights still necessary for 5000 + lipo packs? >

Are lipo weights still necessary for 5000 + lipo packs?

Are lipo weights still necessary for 5000 + lipo packs?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Are lipo weights still necessary for 5000 + lipo packs?

I don't have a scale in front of me so I thought I'd ask if someone knows this.

Of course the earlier lower capacity lipos seemed light which deemed the necessity of lipo weights but now the new 5000+ lipos seem kinda weighty. Are lipo weights still necessary with the higher capacity packs to compensate for the weight imbalance with the electronics like on an Xray or any typical chassis of that kind?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I don't have a scale in front of me so I thought I'd ask if someone knows this.

Of course the earlier lower capacity lipos seemed light which deemed the necessity of lipo weights but now the new 5000+ lipos seem kinda weighty. Are lipo weights still necessary with the higher capacity packs to compensate for the weight imbalance with the electronics like on an Xray or any typical chassis of that kind?
YES
Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It depends on the car. Some older wider cars like the TC5 and Cyclone- yes. Newer TCX or XR3- not so much. It has more to do with how far the motor sticks out and how far you need to position the battery out to balance it before adding weight.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I *think* the weight limit has also changed lower, correct? I am not sure what my car weighs but I know my Serpent is balanced. I did not need any balancing weights either to do it.

Steve
Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

My 417 is actually slightly heavier on the battery-side (without weights), with my LRP 6200mah 65C batteries. So for the newer cars: No.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you need weights or not depends on TWO THINGS... And Two Things Only.....

#1 - Are you racing in a class (i.e. VTA) that has a minimum weight requirement.

AND

#2 - Is your car "balanced"??

You may need weight to meet the "minimum weight" for the class, (I run a XRAY T2 '009... and I have to add A Lot Of Weight to meet the VTA Minimum).

You may need to add weight to balance your chassis. More weight on one side "verses" the other can cause handling problems.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both of my cars (TOP Photon) are balanced at around 1370g with a 5000mAh battery hanging just a bit off the chassis. So for both I have to add weight to make legal minimum weight. Only 10g on my car set up for super stock touring. "VTA" here has a 1450g limit, so I have to add quite a bit to set up one of my cars for that class, but it's no where close to the ridiculous 1550g limit for USVTA. I have no idea where I could possibly put that much weight in my car if I wanted to race USVTA. I think I'd need to replace the bottom chassis with one made of depleted uranium.