Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
tc6 tekin 17.5/rs combo high traction help >

tc6 tekin 17.5/rs combo high traction help

tc6 tekin 17.5/rs combo high traction help

Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default tc6 tekin 17.5/rs combo high traction help

Ok so i have been at the local track trying to get my car ready to race and i have been trying to mess with my gearing and all since i can not run speed controller timing or boost, but i can run motor timing. I have tried many setups, started with 12 degree motor timing as that was stock. had a 88 spur with a 56 pinion. This setup allowed me to run 25 min. and not exceed temps of 155 - 160. I was running mid to high 13s. I have used this gear setup as a basis to tune my car. I am able to get around the track very fast and clean, but i loose on the straights, anything longer than about 20 feet I can see I have less top speed. I changed my motor timing to around 15 - 18 degrees to try and get more top end, kept the 88 spur but went to a 52 pinion to try and make up for the additional revs the motor will have. I hit the low to mid 13s with those changes. I will be at the track tomorrow messing with it some more as i need to be able to drop down to the mid 12s to competitive in my class. I also seem to be the only one running a tekin setup so when i ask other drivers at the track i am told that they are not sure what i should do cause they run a different motor and esc setups. So what I am looking for is someone that runs tekin onroad on a high traction course. I run at west coast rc so maybe that will help. look for forward to everyones input
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default temp help

Originally Posted by b4-runner
Ok so i have been at the local track trying to get my car ready to race and i have been trying to mess with my gearing and all since i can not run speed controller timing or boost, but i can run motor timing. I have tried many setups, started with 12 degree motor timing as that was stock. had a 88 spur with a 56 pinion. This setup allowed me to run 25 min. and not exceed temps of 155 - 160. I was running mid to high 13s. I have used this gear setup as a basis to tune my car. I am able to get around the track very fast and clean, but i loose on the straights, anything longer than about 20 feet I can see I have less top speed. I changed my motor timing to around 15 - 18 degrees to try and get more top end, kept the 88 spur but went to a 52 pinion to try and make up for the additional revs the motor will have. I hit the low to mid 13s with those changes. I will be at the track tomorrow messing with it some more as i need to be able to drop down to the mid 12s to competitive in my class. I also seem to be the only one running a tekin setup so when i ask other drivers at the track i am told that they are not sure what i should do cause they run a different motor and esc setups. So what I am looking for is someone that runs tekin onroad on a high traction course. I run at west coast rc so maybe that will help. look for forward to everyones input
well i run 17.5 blinky class and depending on ur length of straight aways and race length i tune my car to come off a 6 min run at aboout 155 deg. f. this will also change a bit on ambient air ,and track temp. if u can run for 25 min i would put more gear to it will increase straight speed
Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

56 and 52 pinions?? where do you find these?

Standard spur is 87t how do you manage to match 88/56?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

what pitch r u running
Old 07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by justin w
well i run 17.5 blinky class and depending on ur length of straight aways and race length i tune my car to come off a 6 min run at aboout 155 deg. f. this will also change a bit on ambient air ,and track temp. if u can run for 25 min i would put more gear to it will increase straight speed
I see what you are saying, but im worried i might loose low end on the gearing which was why i was trying to get top end from the motor. If you mind me asking on your 6 min run car what is your setup motor/esc and what gearing are you using?