Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too much motor burn in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default Too much motor burn in?

I've ran in my P2K for about an hour after new brushes/comm truing. That much time was needed, to get rid of most of the serration. Normally, I only run it in for about 3-6 minutes, but I thought it was the best that the brush surface was without serrations.

After only 13 runs/batts, the motor performs real bad and sometimes even wont run. Normally this motor runs 20-25 batts, and then it's not that worse.

Springs and brushes are the standard ones.

Is it because of too much motor burn in?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

an hour of run in is way too long. the serations are there so you dont have to run in the motor for very long. another reason for the serrations is so the motor has more torque. i run a p2k and clean the comm and brushes after every run with a comm stick and true the comm and buy new brushes after 10 runs. you shouls true the comm and buy new brushes and this time run the motor in for a lot shorter time. you should also be running comm drops especialy whilst running it in.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Arrow No-way!!!

Cole,

An hour??? Wow!! I think thats about 59 minutes and 30 seconds too long
At club races-I cut the Comm, put in new brushes, seat them for about 30 seconds at 1 amp, pour Zubie drops all over them and run them about two runs, then recut comm and run one or two times more!! At a big race I do a very lengthy motor rebuild and break in, but even thats ONLY 3 minutes at 3 amps break in. I'll run the motor twice with a set of brushes and thats it!! At last years champs-I built motors for one run!!!
Those serrations are a good thing. I usually replace brushes when they are gone!!

Hope that helps.
Ray
Old 05-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

The serrations were first marketed as a help in reducing the breakin time for the brushes. Then people found out that the motor actually performs better with them. So think of the serrations as your friend.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

usually I cut my comm and change brushes in a stock motor every 10-12 runs or so. At big races I do it every 2-3 runs though. For breakin, I just run it at 2-3 amps for 3-4 minutes with a fan on it, to add a little load and to cool itself.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

at what volts do you break-in your motors? im not sure about the "amps" value, i usually break-in at 4 volts for about 2 minutes. is that ok?
Old 06-01-2002, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

i break my motor in with a 3 cell pack for 1 minute. i put two drops of comm drops on, run the motor for 30 secs then put 2 more drops on and run it for another 30 secs. this works well for me but everyone has there own way of doing things so some people might do it for more or less time.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

oops, meant to say I break mine in at 2-3 volts, not amps.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Sometimes I don't do any break-in though, depends on if I have time or not. But, if I'm using 767 brushes, I hate not breaking it in because the brushes seem to hang up sometimes if they're not broken in somewhat, I haven't had that problem with any other brush.