New Sakura XI

Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Not sure if these links will work for everyone but it appears to be a problem with the eccentric bearing cams. I measured the bulkheads and they were of greater than 1/100th of a mm in accuracy, the chassis thickness was about 2/100th's of a mm different in thickness from left to right so it has to be the eccentrics. The difference in height is also replicated front to rear (both “B” eccentrics produce a higher outdrive height).
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

have'nt put mine together yet, but those pics are very close to what i have. David, thanks for uploading pics.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

I should mention that it is hardly the end of the world but I always expect things to be perfect.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Outdrive clearance

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, a bit higher on the B side eh. I finished the build and overall I am pretty happy with the chassis. All the suspension bits were perfect, really happy with the fit of the arms and ball joints - perfect really. I noticed tiny left over metal shaving in some of the shock bodies and maybe I didnt clean it out well enough because some shocks felt funny after assembly. Perhaps the shock shaft is contacting the shock body hole - not sure yet. Some play in the steering cranks but this can be fixed. There is zero end play in the drivetrain parts but there doesnt seem to be any significant bearing pinch. Anyway, machined aluminum eccectric bearing holders would make this kit nearly perfect.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
Yep, a bit higher on the B side eh. I finished the build and overall I am pretty happy with the chassis. All the suspension bits were perfect, really happy with the fit of the arms and ball joints - perfect really. I noticed tiny left over metal shaving in some of the shock bodies and maybe I didnt clean it out well enough because some shocks felt funny after assembly. Perhaps the shock shaft is contacting the shock body hole - not sure yet. Some play in the steering cranks but this can be fixed. There is zero end play in the drivetrain parts but there doesnt seem to be any significant bearing pinch. Anyway, machined aluminum eccectric bearing holders would make this kit nearly perfect.
Let me know how you go with the shimming. I tried to sort that out but I've never been able to fix it. Its almost like the shims do nothing until you get to the point the cranks don't move well. Doesn't seem to impact the handling though, the car doesn't wander or anything and the steering still feels very precise.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

did you measure each bulk head? may be order another set and check them
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

I did measure the bulkheads and they are dead on perfect (less than 1/100th of a mm). But it's obviously the eccentrics because the "B" side is always higher front and rear and I see a couple other racers hace confirmed the same diff height issue.

As far as the play in steering cranks (which I agree does not look like it will cause any issue) my plan is to glue the bearings into place with CA (very carefully of course). I believe this type of fix has been used on other chassis.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

I still can't get the rear diff quite right - it's too stiff. The o-rings seem too tight as others have mentioned. I was thinking of removing the o-rings and just running antiwear grease.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I still can't get the rear diff quite right - it's too stiff. The o-rings seem too tight as others have mentioned. I was thinking of removing the o-rings and just running antiwear grease.
You need to let the diffs wear in a bit. I went to a very light oil in the beginning and after a few packs it was noticeably lighter. Now my diff feels very light. I'm considering going up from 50wt to 80wt oil in it.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

the sakura diffs are very uneven in quality, i had 3 of them and they where completely different in feeling when built, 2 of them required alot of run in before they were good

best result for me was when i ran the car was with associated 40wt oil
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

new sakura xi sport is on the way
m.3racing.hk/products_list.php?stype=ckp&carkits_key=123&page=8[/url]
Old 05-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A question to anyone who has owned a sakura zero is it worth upgrading to the xi or is the zero as good?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thefan
A question to anyone who has owned a sakura zero is it worth upgrading to the xi or is the zero as good?
zero can't be upgraded to xi, they share some parts (most suspension parts like a-arm, spindle, etc), but chassis is different.
if you have a zero, keep it as stock as possible, and when you are good enough for a expensive car, get a good car (i.e. XI DH).
Upgraded zero cost more than xi, and too heavy to meet 1380g.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I meant upgrade as in sell the zero to buy the xi, some say the zero was better than the xi thats why i want feedback from someone that has had both

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.