R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   need help on removing a stripped screw head (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/536020-need-help-removing-stripped-screw-head.html)

nitroharry91 07-26-2011 12:44 AM

need help on removing a stripped screw head

i have a few stripped 1.5m hex screw that i cant remove off my chassis and i dont want to damage the chassis it self any ideas ?

Joat 07-26-2011 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by nitroharry91 (Post 9439845)
i have a few stripped 1.5m hex screw that i cant remove off my chassis and i dont want to damage the chassis it self any ideas ?

Is it thread locked?I use torx, the craftsman easy outs and reverse drill bits, and sometimes standard hex keys

rc_square24 07-26-2011 01:05 AM

Where is it?

jake95 07-26-2011 01:10 AM

if it isnt that bad i use imperial as its a little larger than metric some times works.

daleburr 07-26-2011 01:27 AM

You have two options, both requiring some tools...

The first one is to use a dremel with the smallest diameter cutting wheel you can find. Dremel a slot into the screw head and remove the screw using a normal flat blade screwdriver. You do need a fairly small wheel though otherwise it will be difficult to cut a deep enough slot without cutting into the chassis.

The second option is to drill the screw out using a pillar drill. If they are M3 screws, drill them first using a 2.0mm drill then a 2.5mm drill. The screws will usually collapse and come out with the 2.0mm drill, leaving a nice clean hole. You will need a pillar drill though, a hand drill won't do the job.

P.I.M.P 07-26-2011 01:36 AM

hi if the bottom deck is carbon fiber then holding a very hot soldering rod on the head will 90% of the time will releases it if the hex is not completely rounded.there are many of ways to do it tho i prefer to slot the head with a dremel then use a flat driver to get it out

Mb3195 07-26-2011 01:53 AM

Getting screw put

Heat the threaded screws up, soldering iron as previously suggested will work, or even heat the driver up with a flame from a gas hob or something similar. Works most of the time. If not, you'll just have to drill it out.

nitroharry91 07-26-2011 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joat (Post 9439877)
Is it thread locked?I use torx, the craftsman easy outs and reverse drill bits, and sometimes standard hex keys

Nope its not thread lock

Originally Posted by rc_square24 (Post 9439879)
Where is it?

Under chassis and top deck

Originally Posted by P.I.M.P (Post 9439935)
hi if the bottom deck is carbon fiber then holding a very hot soldering rod on the head will 90% of the time will releases it if the hex is not completely rounded.there are many of ways to do it tho i prefer to slot the head with a dremel then use a flat driver to get it out

your solder iron method works on a few screws any other method beside using a dremel?

P.I.M.P 07-26-2011 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by nitroharry91 (Post 9439995)
Nope its not thread lock

Under chassis and top deck

your solder iron method works on a few screws any other method beside using a dremel?

hi as stated from one of the other post would be to use a imperial driver and tap it into the hex works well to there are options .personally slotting it will be the best way just make sure your cutting wheel is as small as can be and you should not get to much over cut on the carbon.

nitroharry91 07-26-2011 03:41 AM

would a engraver pen work?