R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #16
Tech Master

I made a set of CS-27s last all season racing 2 times a month since Feburary with mixed use (Outdoor w/no traction compound and indoor w/Jack the Gripper)

They just now kinda died (no good for outdoor, but okay for indoor practice)
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:41 AM   #17
Tech Regular

I was really looking forward to getting started with onroad racing. It didn't look anymore expensive than the offroad T4 racing that I have been doing, but, when I look around in the pit areas at the onroad racers gear....it just seems that it takes allot more to win with onroad. By more, I am meaning money.
In order to really have the edge it seems like you need a set of new tires for every race day. I keep seeing racers selling off perfectly good six cell packs just to buy some fresh ones! I don't get it... It seems like this is going to cost an awful lot to stay competitive. I don't mind spending the money....as I have it, however, being a married man makes things difficult budget-wise
jackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #18
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I think it takes less money to race on road.. In off road the track I was racing at was a blue groove track,so every race day it was a new set of tires(cha ching$$$)Where I race at now The tire that works best(for me)is the yokomo sprints(firms/soft inserts)cost including rims is $25,I got 24 race days out of them I figured I got 144 races out of them(I also was winning and getting TQ with these tires)A big part of tire wear is how hard you drive,your set up,are you using a spool,diff or one way.A few of my buddies only get one or two races out of the sprints.. But they use spools or diff up front,I use a one way.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Jackfast, It sounds like you race at Socal. Socal is a high to medium grip indoor track. Your tires will wear out alot faster than say a parking lot track or an outdoor track. I have not been to Socal in a long time, but have heard from people that have run there recently that you need to bring a one-way and new set Sorex 36r with you to be competive. (at least in the sportsman class) If you'er just starting out in on-road you might not feel the difference in 2 run tires compared to 5 run tires, then again you might.
sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by kevinm
Do you race only once a year?
i race every second tuesday[so thats quite a lot] but ive just used them out of the box and wighted for them to wear down and then adjust my rollout acordingly....................i only got a tire truer a month ago......and i didnt get an arbor with when it says it came with 1
pink pac man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #21
Tech Regular

I get through a set a meeting and put a new set on for the last qualifiying and finals

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote