Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:57 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Hahaha......I guess Tamiya has finually noticed their mistake.....or is this a marketing ploy!!??
Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I believe it is more of a marketing ploy. With those short spings we should have more room for a lower ride height, but what are other pros and cons. I remember way back, Tamiya release short springs that are 23mm in height (neon colors) versus the 26.3mm we currently use.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Just a quick question for all the experienced TCS racers, I already bought a set of B2s for the upcoming July TCS race in Maryland, the track is medium grip asphalt, What inserts should I use?
I was thinking medium. What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by jackhammer74
Just a quick question for all the experienced TCS racers, I already bought a set of B2s for the upcoming July TCS race in Maryland, the track is medium grip asphalt, What inserts should I use?
I was thinking medium. What do you guys think?
Thanks.
There was much B2 testing last year during the Nats week..and I believe that the majority of the A main racers were running the standard insert (the air gap helps) during the event.

JC
Old 06-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

Wink

Originally posted by izzyracer
I believe it is more of a marketing ploy. With those short spings we should have more room for a lower ride height, but what are other pros and cons. I remember way back, Tamiya release short springs that are 23mm in height (neon colors) versus the 26.3mm we currently use.
Well it was not that big of a ploy. Each small spring might have given you a few extra pounds compared to their larger 3 spring counter parts. The shorters were good for a quickie chassis lowering. The only problem is the limited traveling and having to make big adjustments between spring sizes when tuning. Would I use them in an 04 probably not, have I tested them yes. I would stick with the standard sizes.

Have you ever noticed that the white and the blue in the 4 spring set are the same. Have you noticed they are missing whites in the new 4 spring single color sets. That might be a bigger ploy...

Coop
Old 06-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Post 04 spring talk & SSG parts

Originally posted by izzyracer
The 1st "short" springs were released to support the Porsche GT1 kit that had the low nose / shock tower.

The latest spring are not a maketing ploy in my opinion, Tamiya produced the new SSG shock tower in a much lower config. than the graphite or stock plastic towers.

Bottom line the stock springs are too long for the new SSG towers...unless you like a ride height of around 7mm

Best way to fix the design mistake (yes, I think it was a mistake) is to release a new set of springs

I recently put the new ssg chassis parts on my 04R and ending up having to remove the adjust. collars off the shock and go old school with shims to adjust the ride height to the level that works well at Tamiya America. The top plate I received is also slightly longer than the graphite unit making the front belt too tight (nothing that soaking the belt in WD40 won't cure)

Do the new parts work? yes. (TQ & win in a recent TCS GT3 event) but they require more "hand fitting" than I like.

JC
Old 06-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by gcooper

Have you ever noticed that the white and the blue in the 4 spring set are the same. Have you noticed they are missing whites in the new 4 spring single color sets. That might be a bigger ploy...
...it better not be. Well they feel different.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by madjack
There was much B2 testing last year during the Nats week..and I believe that the majority of the A main racers were running the standard insert (the air gap helps) during the event.

JC
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question Madjack, but exactly which ones are the standard inserts?
Old 06-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question Madjack, but exactly which ones are the standard inserts?
The stock insert would be black. I ran the blue (softer) in GT1 last year with the hope of generating more heat/grip in the B2...did not work for me...could have been my set-up

It has been a challenge running the b2's to say the least...but it is the tire we all must work with for the Nats (unless the rule change)

JC
Old 06-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, it's a shame they discontinued the old Bs I've heard a lot of folks complaining about the B2s, but like you said it's what we've got to work with, unless you got a set of the old Bs stockpiled somewhere. Thanks for the info Madjack.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by gcooper

Coop
Actually, the white springs a barely stiffer than the blue springs....well maybe not. only 1.2% stiffer. I posted this a while ago on the EVoIII thread, but it's worth repeating. These were measured on a material test system. All units are in in/lbf

Associated White 40.4
Associated Yellow 33.8
Associated Purple 31.2
Associated Copper 24.6
Associated Red 23.2
Associated Gold 18.8
Tamiya White 16.5
Associated and Tamiya Blue 16.3
Associated Silver 14.5
Tamiya Yellow 13.0
Tamiya Red 11.8
Associated Green 11.5
Old 06-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, it's a shame they discontinued the old Bs I've heard a lot of folks complaining about the B2s, but like you said it's what we've got to work with, unless you got a set of the old Bs stockpiled somewhere. Thanks for the info Madjack.
I still have a set of brand new unmounted B's. I refrained from gluing them up at the last TCS. I wonder how much they are worth these days.....
Old 06-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

that chart is very helpful linger, I'm sure a lot of people can use the info.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Post Killer B's

Linger,

Yeah... I think you could start the bidding at $60 on e-bay

I have a few sets (none new) that I'll be running in the Aug TCS race at TA for sure

So did you break down and pick up the Surikan Edition yet?

JC
Old 06-16-2003, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by linger
Actually, the white springs a barely stiffer than the blue springs....well maybe not. only 1.2% stiffer. I posted this a while ago on the EVoIII thread, but it's worth repeating. These were measured on a material test system. All units are in in/lbf

Associated White 40.4
Associated Yellow 33.8
Associated Purple 31.2
Associated Copper 24.6
Associated Red 23.2
Associated Gold 18.8
Tamiya White 16.5
Associated and Tamiya Blue 16.3
Associated Silver 14.5
Tamiya Yellow 13.0
Tamiya Red 11.8
Associated Green 11.5

When you tested did you use new or used springs. Did you ever get around to the Tamiya Gold or 3 spring tall/short sets for testing?

Ok I will do some small bragging, I do have 3 sets of Bs never used or mounted. I could be sitting on a goldmine if they lift the tire rule for the nats... LOL

Coop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.