R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #1366
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

difuser: Thanks! Coming out weekend after next? Got to try out a couple of radio's - I'm liking John's Mars R and might pick one up in Redmond this week. Thanks for the ball diff BTW - came in 2nd overall last raceday in GT3 and the car is solid
awtwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:25 PM   #1367
Tech Master

Mike F

That's my feeling on the belt too. I'm actually not sure why they even give you the tensioner. I read somewhere that a lot of guys use the belt tensioner just to stretch the belt, then take it off! When I was putting my 04R on a diet, I was using my XXX-S to compare against. I have the original XXX-S with the original graphite upgrade. Other than that, the car is completely stock except for the front one-way. I weighed both cars with no electrics, servos or motors and the Losi was 25 grams lighter no matter what I did and it is fairly heavy compared to other cars out there. I only race the 04R in GT3 in club races and plan to race GT3 and GT2 at TCS, since I made the finals, so every bit of weight savings is important. There's no weight requirement for TCS or club races in my area, so I guess I should have mentioned that. Anyways, the biggest weight savings you can get on the car is from the lightweight outdrive set, so that's most important. They also released alum universal bones, so you can replace the heavy brass ones. I'm still running the brass bones on my car.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #1368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great glad it helped.

I hope to but I may also be racing up at Redmond not sure yet I need to practice Reedy specific for the next few weeks.

Radios go Futaba 3PK but I am biased you are more than welcome to try mine. It's funny looking but a great improvement over my 3PJ and I can freak out cops who think I just got them on radar(hehe)

Psycho--SS to 04 long both are great just in different areas if you are running GT2/24d go with the SS if it's mod stay with the long wheelbase. We have been running the short since Sept. last year and even with the short wheelbase it still has as much or in some cases more because the axle point moved up placing more weight bias on the rears. I have not run the Audi but want one, the Toyota is great with lots of downforce also.

Mike key point to remember with TCS NO WEIGHT LIMIT if you are at 50 with no TI that's great
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #1369
Tech Elite

Psycho good point it's also rotating mass so you get the acceleration. For those running them they wear tremendously save them for the important races.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #1370
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

difuser - Being a "spirited" driver and rider by nature, I break out in a cold sweat around your radio Only thing missing is the flashing lights.

But, current debate = M8 vs Mars r vs 3pk. Eeny meeny miney mo...
awtwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #1371
Tech Master

Difuser

Why do you say the 3PK is a great improvement over the 3PJS? Just curious since it sounds like you upgraded from the 3PJS.

I'm half tempted to buy a second TA04R and make it the short wheelbase since it's kind of a pita to have two bodies and switch arms if I don't like it one way or the other. I can definetely see the short wheelbase would be bad in mod! If I were racing in GT1, I'd run the TB EVO3, though! So, with the SS arms, are you able to get the backend to rotate as nice as the long wheelbase? That's one thing I like about this car in GT3, that I can break the backend loose very controllably in the twisty sections and fend off someone trying to pass. Just a quick tap of the brake and "blip," handbrake turn, gone.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:00 PM   #1372
Tech Master

awtwac

IMO, you only need to know one word, when it comes to radios. That's "synthesized." You can add a Hitec Spectra module to the Futaba 3PJS (I do that) and I'm told you can do the same in the 3PK. Novak makes a syntesizer module for the M8 as well. I don't like the feel and weight balance of the Airtronics, so I went with the Futaba. Also, I have fat fingers and the throttle felt funny to me on the M8. I also use the Novak XXtra receivers, so I never wait for frequency clips during practice!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM   #1373
Tech Elite

Psycho I went from the PJ to the PK I never got the PJS. The PK is a touch of an improvement from the PJS but not leaps and bounds I wish the PJ chassis had all the features of the PK and the menu system.

The short does not hang the rear as good as the long but it transitions quicker in the tight stuff. @ TA I think the cars are a wash but locally it is tighter and I can set faster laps with the SS but it somtimes feels a touch dead or too stuck.

SS you can also brake harder with 1-ways with the oh so stable rear also.

I would not trade my EVO for either 04 or the 414 in Mod

I can make the lights flash, now if I could just get the F1 race on that damned big screen I'd be a happy man although the lap times would probably suffer.........

I don't even want to discuss spirited driving I had a nice talk with a fine young lady from WSP just before I went to Worlds, no amount of flirting helped though she still wrote me a love letter on the green paper maybe it was the ring..........

D
Old 04-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #1374
Tech Master

Difuser

Thanks for the info on the 3PK and SS arms. It sounds like it's worth trying the SS arms and figuring out in which situations it works better. It's all about the Tivo! No need for a tv at the track to watch F1 or even get up early. I just have to avoid the websites and SPEED News where I might find out the results until I watch the race.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #1375
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Be careful on using the Spectra on the 3PK's. I have switch to 3PK from 3PJ because of the ease of use in settings and figuring out that the Spectra works. It sure does work but the servo' exhibit a shaking movement in neutral position that does not occur in the 3PJ, I have 2 spectras and they both do the same. Now I'm back using the 3PJ until I get enough Crystals to use on the regular module. The 3pk is good when you want ease in settings and use of digital servos.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:06 PM   #1376
Tech Elite

Izzy I saw that happen with analog servos and the HRS but not the other way around interesting

Psycho I've tried that but I always go back to good 'ol watching it live, I missed Brasil entirely due to a Rally in Reno The European races make my wife a touch irritated
Old 04-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #1377
Tech Adept

what is the tamiya code for the lightweight outdrives ? and wats this about they wear heavily ? these things wear ?
zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #1378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by zoombie
what is the tamiya code for the lightweight outdrives ? and wats this about they wear heavily ? these things wear ?
no they don't! oh I don't have the outdrive part number sorry check Ebay.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #1379
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Difuser
Psycho good point it's also rotating mass so you get the acceleration. For those running them they wear tremendously save them for the important races.
isnt he talking about them ?
zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:11 PM   #1380
Tech Master

The part# is 53480 and Tower has them in stock. They seem to wear fine based on my experience as well. I've been racing my car with them since November of 02 and there's hardly a noticable notch on my set. I'm running stock and 540, so I'm sure that helps make them last longer too.