Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Alvin - You say "stock" to the springs and stuff. Are you referring to the stock TA04, or TA04R yellow springs/stabilizer/oil?

What gearing do you recommend for a stock motor at a medium course?

I read over a TA04 Gear Ratio chart and I noticed the gears included with TA04R have a really low gear ratio, of about 5.82, which is a bit lower than what I normally run. Or is this normal?
Old 10-03-2001, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The stock gearing is best suited for the silvercan 540's and dyno tuned tamiya motors.
Old 10-03-2001, 11:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

i think the ta-04r has a lower gear ratio coz because its a race kit. if yiy use the silvercan 540, it's pretty okay decent acceleration but not good enough top end.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
Alvin - You say "stock" to the springs and stuff. Are you referring to the stock TA04, or TA04R yellow springs/stabilizer/oil?

What gearing do you recommend for a stock motor at a medium course?

I read over a TA04 Gear Ratio chart and I noticed the gears included with TA04R have a really low gear ratio, of about 5.82, which is a bit lower than what I normally run. Or is this normal?
Aurra Sing,
Yes, I meant the yellow springs/stabilizer/oil etc. whcih came with the car. But I did buy a set of tuned tamiya springs, my rear is now blue instead of the stock yellow.

hmmm I'm too new in this to say what's a good gearing but so far ppl tell me to gear for the length of the race. E.g. 7 minute race probably need to gear lower to get more run time.

IMHO I gear for what I feel comfortable (since I ain't so hot on going to races. YET.). e.g. I only have a 39T pinion so I can only get either 7.0 or 6.5 FDR. While 6.5 provides me much better top-end, I prefer/need the acceleration since 2/3rds of the track I run is a very technical infield.

Alternatively, I get my friend to time me. The difference between my 7:1 and 6.5:1 FDR only gained me a few ms time difference, and I am not comfortable with the handling of the car @ 6.5 so I run it @ 7.

The 5.82 gear ratio seems to be suitable for the Sports Tuned Motor or Dyna Run, I won't dare to run something so high hehe

Regards,
Alvin
Old 10-04-2001, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

id say that the 5.82 gearing is best for the new tamiya superstock type t and r motors. anyone tried those motors yet? they are extremely fast, but they aren't roar-legal since they're 23 turns and not the 27 turn standard.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Default Type T & Type R

Haven't seen though motors before, though my LHS says they can bring it in. Any idea where we'd can find the specs for 'em?

erap, I too run a 23T yokomo, if the tamiya motors can be geared so high, do you think a 23T like mine can be geared that high too?

TIA!

Alvin
Old 10-04-2001, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Type T & Type R

... Tai Sing have them, both Type T and Type R...
Originally posted by Alvin
Haven't seen though motors before, though my LHS says they can bring it in. Any idea where we'd can find the specs for 'em?

erap, I too run a 23T yokomo, if the tamiya motors can be geared so high, do you think a 23T like mine can be geared that high too?

TIA!

Alvin
Old 10-04-2001, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

any idea the price from them? I'm sure we can get a better deal if get one of the lhs to get from 'em...
Old 10-04-2001, 02:08 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

what's a good gearing for a P2K motor or stock motor in general?
Old 10-04-2001, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

here in the philippines, you can get the type t for 900 pesos, which is about 18 us dollars! the type r, you can get for 1100 pesos which is around 20 us dollars! it's a real cheap motor but it is defintely a good one. it has a nice chrome finish and has 2 pre-installed cpacitors. i forget the specs though, i'll try to look it up!

as for the yokomo 23 turn, i guess u could also gear it the same. but to be on the safe side, try to get a final drive ratio of 6:1. my friend who runs a ta-04r uses the stock gearing on his type t and it runs pretty fast and in excess of 6 minutes on a tamiya 2400 MaH nicad pack. so if the stock gearing is 5.82, then i suppose it must work well
Old 10-04-2001, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

6.1 on 23turns!? anong layout nang track nyo? must be alot of fast section. is that on road? how's the traction?

we run 7minutes on carpet and i bet 6.1 will dump you before 5, much worst for 5.82. But then, it's carpet...

Originally posted by erap
here in the philippines, you can get the type t for 900 pesos, which is about 18 us dollars! the type r, you can get for 1100 pesos which is around 20 us dollars! it's a real cheap motor but it is defintely a good one. it has a nice chrome finish and has 2 pre-installed cpacitors. i forget the specs though, i'll try to look it up!

as for the yokomo 23 turn, i guess u could also gear it the same. but to be on the safe side, try to get a final drive ratio of 6:1. my friend who runs a ta-04r uses the stock gearing on his type t and it runs pretty fast and in excess of 6 minutes on a tamiya 2400 MaH nicad pack. so if the stock gearing is 5.82, then i suppose it must work well
Old 10-05-2001, 12:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

capitol speedway, technical, medium bite asphalt, bu we don't usualy use that high a gearing for a technical track. in park square 1, u could use that gearing, low-bite asphalt naman dun, aside from the fact that its an extremely fast track where you could actually get away with very light braking, if not none at all!
Old 10-05-2001, 03:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ta04 pro

any one have a good gearing chart for this car?
realy like the handling and the build up was pretty straight forward, only problem i have is how to set the diffs any one help with this?
i run the car in the modified class at our club but only run a tamiya dynastock motor 27x1 we found that running these with a stock motor in the stock class was unfair due to the performance differance over the other chassis tl01 ta03s etc , still i do ok with the currant setup but cant get my gearing sorted
Old 10-05-2001, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

set your diff so that when you lock the outdrives, it will be difficult to rotate the pulley. You should still have a slight slip but with resistance ...
Old 10-05-2001, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Default 414M...

Hmm I am considering getting some hop-ups and options for my 04R, like the center/front one-ways, carbon chassis and front/rear carbon shock towers....

But here's the crunch, if I were to upgrade these parts the total cost of my car'd probably cost more comparing to buying a 414M off the shelf...

414M OTOH is supposedly not race legal right? Any idea why? So the 414M is also not 100% an option since I would love to join races too...

Alvin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.