R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2003, 02:18 PM   #1231
Tech Adept

I need a good set up for carpet I will be running in the mod class 10T limit. I went up to 70wt shock oil with foam tires. Iwill drop a tooth or two from because of the added traction.
Just a starting point, never raced on carpet before so this will be something new. I always used a stiffer set than anyone else anyway.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:15 PM   #1232
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
Mike I am going to assume you may know a little about the place where the TCS race is going to be held this summer. Can you tell me a little about the place and what kind of surface it is and so on. I will need to prepare a couple of cars for this race.
I know a little bit about the track, since I'm the Director of the MidSouth Racing Association.

The dirvers stand is 2 teer, you have your choice of either the top of bottom stand.

The track material used is PVC pipes, not the standard white pipes but the gray ones, there a little stronger then the white ones and not very forgiving on the cars.

The surface is asphalt and during the summer the surface temp gets up to abuot 125 degrees+. The traction is good, the B compounds will be the ticket. The str8 is about 110 - 120 feet long but that can be adjusted as necessary. We have several track designs that we can use.

The Hobby shop is about 1 minute away from where we race, in the same shopping center but not in front of the hobbyshop, surronding stores(namely FUCKTON, ops I meant Futon) were complaining that we were blocking there 2-3 customers every other Sunday so we had to move. It's actually a blessing because we have much more track area that we can use and plenty of parking.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:37 PM   #1233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Have you tried the b2 compound tires?
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #1234
Regional Moderator

Not yet, are they different then the B ones? And do they come in 24mm ?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:31 PM   #1235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They are the same compound but thicker carcass and they come to temp alot slower than the old B.
Yes they are 24mm and the old B is not available anymore if you have them keep them for that special "sponge worthy" moment
at Regionals.
Nats is now a spec tire at least last year was for both GT classes
Old 03-05-2003, 06:15 AM   #1236
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

does anyone have a good b2 setup for outdoor in fairly warm weather. I have never run my car outdoor yet (at least this one) I have only ever had a compound tires on it .
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:18 AM   #1237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

KingZJ: My experience at the Tamiya Nat's which we had to use B2's as spec tire can be sum up with a few words, The tires suck! sorry Tamiya
But knowing that there is no other choice. Try using a soft insert like the Tamiya blue inserts, this will surely help with traction and it also gives a lot of air gap. Make an extra hole on the wheel to allow air to come in & out. Some racers will make the the existing holes bigger, but that could let small particles of dirt and tire debris inside the tires. During the Nationals, we were using tire sauce (Paragon) and Tire Warmers to get traction from the start since they take time to heat up. I can only say to try to get the best optimal set-up.
I experiment with B2's on my EVO 3 and I think I did all that I could to make the thing work with average results, but as soon as I replace it with sorex tires, I got traction like crazy.
Anyway, I hope this helps.
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #1238
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to ijnek

i dunno abt wat's the weather condition is like over there,but b2 is supposed 2 work well for hotter temp...
it works well here at where i'm where it's sunny most of the time...
ijnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 07:55 AM   #1239
Regional Moderator

KINGZJ - if you plan on coming to Memphis in July for the TCS race, the B2 may be the ticket, since it will be +95 degrees, track temp even higher.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:28 AM   #1240
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

would that be med. or hard inserts with the B2's?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:00 AM   #1241
Regional Moderator

probably would depend on yuor set up.

I'll probably go with the med inserts or maybe some hpi med inserts.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:38 AM   #1242
Tech Elite

Has anybody tried running B2's WITHOUT inserts in GT3? The car's won't be traveling that fast and it may help give the car some extra side bite. We all know how B2's push like dump trucks
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:41 AM   #1243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Has anybody tried running B2's WITHOUT inserts in GT3? The car's won't be traveling that fast and it may help give the car some extra side bite. We all know how B2's push like dump trucks
You should try it over the weekend Rod no inserts B2's, let's see if it will baloon up!
I got my GT3 set-up last week but you were racing at bakersfield, how was that?
I just want to see if I can keep up with your top speed. I know you will still get to kick my *** as far as driving.
I won't be there this weekend so maybe you can bring your GT3 again the weekend after. Are you gona join the F201 race on Saturady at Tamiya?
Did you get a chance to do a chart on 48 pitch gear ratios on 04 and evo 3...please!
izzyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:54 AM   #1244
Tech Initiate

He guys,

Now that the TA04-TRF is almost out how long will it take for the TA05 to come out?
And how long after the TA05 is out will there be part support for the TA04.

I'am asking this becouse i'am looking for a new racecar and can't decide on the TA04-R or wait for the TA05 or HPI Pro4.

Thanks in advance,

Whacky.
Whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #1245
Tech Elite

Hey Izzy,

Bakersfield was an experience. I had radio problems during practice which caused me to wad the car up a bunch of times. One of the crashes bent my center drive shaft and I had to drive with a roached drivetrain (80% power). Interference in the first qualifier didn't help. The 2nd qualifier was rough and I only made the Expert B. I won that but overall, I knew that I could have done better.

As for no inserts, I don't feel like throwing in 40 bucks in the name of science. I just wanted to know if anybody else had tried it. If you thought my GT3 04 was fast, wait until I rebuild it and actually blow out the bearings hehe.

The F201 finally this weekend should be fun. I'm not going to run it and I advise others who are not in the series to avoid running in it. There are championship points that people are gunning for and I don't want to get in their way. Or worse, break them

I'll see if I can rework the gear chart. Give me the sizes of pinion and spur you want on it.

Also, I'll be playing with the GT3 car this weekend (emphasis on "playing") and won't be doing any tuning. I may throw down at the end of the day with my Novak BL 414M2
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote