Ta04r...

Old 02-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Difuser
Sounds good I run to TCS out here on a weekly basis so I run A comp this time of year and in April/May switch over to the B2 comp
we are having our first TCS race this year, scheduled for July 13th. What inserts are you using with that above mentioned combo?
Out here alot of guys run Sorex with a medium insert
Here too, I personally like the Schumacher mounted tires, the C22's seem to work well
The wheels are generally true I run the dish for the most part 0mm offset and use the shim kit for widening track, it gives you 1 or 2 mm shim to adjust.
Yeah, I thought it was strange that one rim was not true so I placed it on a different car and it was doing the same thing.
Forgot about the Diff outdrive definately a must have for the car
you mean the derlin outdrives are a must have?
I leave the seals on mainly for maintenance issues I hate tearing the car down after race day. There is alot less maintenance with them on even as shielded as they are
D
True, it is easy to leave them in but I like them off because I'm always making sure my diffs are smooth. This is probably the first Tamiya kit that I can think of that has easy access to the diffs, other than the 414 series.

I haven't actually placed the car on the track so my set up is just theory:

Front:
1 degree Camber
5mm droop
Blue springs
0 toe
40wt oil
#2 piston
rear sway bar (yellow)
Shock mount - outside
Camber link - inside

Rear
1.5 degree Camber
3mm droop
blue springs
2 degree toe in
40 wt oil
#2 piston
rear sway bar (yellow)
shock mount - outside
camber link - inside

Ride height, 5 mm front and rear.
Class - Stock Sedan
Motor - Monster Stock
Spur - 120
Pinion 36 and or a 37
Tires - Take Off's c22 or c27
Old 02-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Insert: I run Blue and Black both depending on the grip that day I generally try both and settle in on one for the day. In the summer Black is the only way to go the Blue overheats and gets greasy.

Delrin is a must have

For TCS that time of year I would have B2 around with a black insert and also something that fills the carcass up a touch Yokomo or ???

Set-up sounds good you might find 1 rate softer in the rear is good if it feels a touch aggressive. I run 50wt also but with the Blue insert tire. I like a ton of steering P eter has a hard time with my car for the first lap or 2 because I run so much then he adjusts and is fine.

D
Old 02-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On carpet I am running mine with yellow springs all around and both oneways with a compound tires. works pretty well for me I am able to use the same car for stock and mod (gt1 and gt2) will find out how good it compares to everyone else this weekend. I tried running the car set up for gt3 for club racing this past week and I made the a against others running stock motors so I am pretty confident about this weekend baring any weird problems.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: Switch from 03F David Junn to 04

Originally posted by rowdyrj
I just made the switch and I'm sure I will adding my 2 cents very soon
So, what do you think about the 04 rowdy
Old 02-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by futureal
Still looking for a TAO4-R carpet set up on rubber tires. Any place on the net for setups for this car?
from KINGZJ's post:

On carpet I am running mine with yellow springs all around and both oneways with a compound tires. works pretty well for me I am able to use the same car for stock and mod (gt1 and gt2) will find out how good it compares to everyone else this weekend. I tried running the car set up for gt3 for club racing this past week and I made the a against others running stock motors so I am pretty confident about this weekend baring any weird problems.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Switch from 03F David Junn to 04

I've got to run some more batteries through it and get a good feel for the car so far so good. It handle's a little like my MR-4TC Pro. It's a little faster plus I got to figure out the gears to run with the motors I have. I like to find a balance between speed and handling.

Originally posted by Mike F
So, what do you think about the 04 rowdy
Old 02-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Regional Moderator

what type of motor are you using and what kind of track your racing at/on?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We race mod's some weeks and stock the next. In mods I usually run between 11T or 10D with a gear ratio around 8.20- 8.70 depending on the temp. of the asphalt. I just started using Jaco foams in stock and pretty much go flat out in the corners because of the grip to corner speed balance. I try to stay in the 6.00 to 6.500 gear ratio range. If you get a chance check out some of the bodies that I have painted.Rowdyrj RC Racing Bodies
Old 02-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mike F
Hey Peter, any more tricks that you want to give out? What options did you use when you had your 04R?
just small things...

i prefer the tamiya rubber sealed bearings over the metal shielded bearings, but for both types, remove the shields, let them soak in mineral spirits to break up the factory grease, and then re-oil them with a thin bearing oil.

contrary to what dan suggested, i don't use the carbon shock towers...here is the reason...

the way that the carbon shock tower attaches to the car is by a long screw and washer behingd the screw... problem is, the hole that is drilled for the screw is slightly to big.

so you can imagine that this leaves the possibility of the tower shifting all over the place, and wreaking havok on your tweak and downtravel settings.

to solve this problem, i just used the plastic towers and attched them with a countersunk screw, this eliminates the possibility of the tower moving arround...granted you do not have the extra hole for shock mounting that the carbon tower provides, but i have never found a need to lay the schocks down that far, and i have been running various versions of the tao4 since the release of the O4 Pro kit.

and if you run TCS always run the Modena body.

peter
Old 02-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

I don't know about the modena body. Last year I took 2 seconds at the 2 largest tcs races with the altezza body and this year in testing the corvette body is the fastest. I like the vette becasue it works well for gt1 and 2 it allows me to run the same setup for both classes and use the same car. I also like the carbon towers allot I use them to change roll center that is the biggest thing I change from track to track to dial the car in but I do see how they can shift.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Regional Moderator

I heard that the modena and corvette body were good but I also heard that the R34 was probably the body to get.

On the Graphite towers, is there anyway to fix them from shifting? Shoo goo maybe?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Regional Moderator

Default This body

R34
Attached Thumbnails Ta04r...-50897.jpg  
Old 02-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default body of choice

Well, here is my .O2

I agree with Peter that the Modena is a great choice...but not the only choice any more. At the recent Tamiya 4hr Enduro 8 of the 10 A main entrants were running the Modena, the TQ however was running the new NSX body.

I have seen a number of people running it (NSX) at TA with good success. Rumor has it it is now the sedan body of choice in Japan. Dan & Peter might be able to verify this...ya lucky dogs, way to represent guys!

As for the vette and alteza. The bodies work OK, but are too heavy compared to the Modena in lightweight trim. Every once counts in GT2 & GT3

yeah, I have the NSX order for the GT1 class, but will probably go with the LW Modena in GT3.

Hope this helps

John

Last edited by madjack; 02-21-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Mike I wouldn't worry about the towers to much. Yes they can shift but I doubt it would become a big problem. The chassis flexes much more than the towers can move.

Yes a lighter body is better but I am not sure if it really makes that much difference. In gt3 the person that can do the voodoo on the silver cans the best will be the winner and in gt2 I don't see it making much difference along with gt1.

Will find out in a couple of days Sunday is tcs day!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I like the Modena body very much, I think it's faster than the any other Tamiya body, (have not tried the New Raybrig yet). The LW Modena body has a litlle flow when you get bump in the rear, it can easily tuck-in and can slow your run time or even stop the car.
The R34 (LW version available too!) feels quicker and easier in the turns and I would recommend that in a tight track.
I just set up my original 04-Pro that looks more like the R to a Short Wheel Base. I painted my MR-S body last night and I can't wait to run it tomorrow at TA's Track.
I know that kid from Washington (I think!) had his car setup that way and was on Joven's butt during the last Nationals in GT2!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.