Ta04r...

Old 11-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Regional Moderator

hey Dragoonz009/KINGZJ - give me your honest opinion on the 04R. Is it competitive against the TC3's, Missions and XXX-s of the world? I'm seriously looking at getting the 04R or the 414M2. I'm leaning towards to 04R because I want to run GT2 but I also want to run it at our local track. The 414M2 can only be ran in GT1 but I can run that in our stock sedan class. The 04R weighs about 55-57gm fully loaded, is there's any legal TCS mods that can be done to reduce the weight?
Old 11-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default MY Opinion

I am speaking in a beginners?novice point of view:

I have a FT-TC3 and a TAO4-R hopped up to the max except for the alum ball diff gear, I like them both!!!!

For me, It's easier to drive the TA04-r than the FT-TC3, but then again I run the TAO4-R with a center one way and the TC3 with full time 4wd.

But the most noticeble thing is the TC3 is faster and you can take better racing lines than the TA04-r, again two cars are set up differently.

Its up to you which to get!! but both are pretty good!!!!

and the TAo4-R is unbreakable compared to the TC3!
Old 11-12-2002, 12:17 PM
Regional Moderator

I have the FTTC3 but looking to get back to a Tamiya kit. I have the TB01, TA03R, and TA03DJ but they are just sitting collecting dust. I went to the TC3 because it was the most popular kit at the track and it was kickin everyone's arses. I'm getting the impression that the 414M2 is a great kit and is very competitive on the track. I hearing the same thing about the 04R.

Just looking for some feedback.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I usually run my tc3 because it is faster for me but last year when I went out to a tcs race out east I raced my 04r in club racing the night before the tcs race and wooped all the local tc3's pretty bad so I think it depends on the track and this track happend to be pretty small with medium bite but on a larger high bite track the tc3 will be better than a 04r. I really like my 04r it is so easy to drive. My friend just got his m2 up and running and I am very impressed with it. If you are going to get anything I would recomed that. And if you are worried about tcs racing just run gt1 but don't use a crazy fast motor and you will be fine most likely do better than most because you won't have stupid horsepower.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

i have a xxx-s n 04r...
my 04r has centre 1 way n also hop-up max...
not fair 2 say which car is better bcos my 04r is setup for technical track n xxxs for high-speed...
but if u say which kit i feel more comfortable in,it's the 04r...
it jus feels faster n react faster also...
but in terms of tuning,the xxx-s has lots more options...

also,weight balance in the 04r seems 2 b in the rear with the motor there n the xxxs is more balanced...

if u wan more tuning options,get the 414m...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default My two cents

Hey Mike, I guess lem2, ijnek and kingzj pretty much summed up all that i wanted to say. I was basically running a few diffrent cars in the past and try as i might i could never feel comfortable or setup the cars to my liking. Then i got my hands on my O4R and immeditely the car felt great right out of the box. I didn't do well at my local races, so one day i saw that the guy, who TQed and won the A-main finals, was driving an O4R, i ask him for his setup and cool as he was, e-mailed me his detail setup of his ride. I followed his setup to the last detail and WHOA HO HO buddy, the car felt so sweet! I've never looked back since. In conclusion i would like to say that the car is value for money and it can really be up there with the big boys. The 414M is good, no doubt, but to expensive for my taste. Get the O4R dude, I guarantee no regrets. Cheers
Old 11-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, please share your setup with us so we can experience the sweetness of the 04R That is what this thread is all about...remember to be VERY detailed.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

yea i'm thinking of getting a ta04-r with the new nsx body...but i'm gonna trade the body for another one...i really just want the ta04-r with the fluorine coated trf dampers and the new nsx rims
i guess the fluorine will help protect it from rocks and scratches..

yes please share your setup cause i'm getting one for my b-day in one and a half weeks. it going for $460 CAN.

and the worse part is that i have to pay for it all by-myself

what is the best hop-up out of a box except equipment.
the reason why i'm not getting teh trf 414mII is becasue it comes with all the hop-ups ex carbon fibre chassie plate etc. if i decide to race my friend or run it out side(bashing) i can use the sock parts like the carbon graphite lower deck and some plastic parts.
the tao4-r is great car for both bashing, drifting and racing.
the trf 414mII is ment for racing it's just too nice to bash with that car.

ok so i'll have one soon and share with you ugys my joy of having a ta04-r that i've been wanting to get for ages. i'm turning 16 so it's like supposed to be special or something.

thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 06:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TAO4R secret Recipe

Hey Guys you want the sweet setup? Here it goes:-

CHassis - Carbon fiber upper deck, carbon composite tub lower deck
carbon fibre shock towers
Centre one way pully (carpet)
camber- about 1.5deg front n rear (depands on your preference)more camber
gives u better conering speed but less stability on the straight.
camber links are all on the upper deck. similar to 414 type
toe out front about 1 deg.
toe in rear 2deg
front shocks red springs 40 wt oil 3mm spacer
rear shocks red springs 40wt oil 2mm spacer
hard antiroll bar front (blue) no roll bar rear
shock angel front, outermost hole
shock angle rear thrid hole from outermost.
Using this setup, the car has plenty of grip so don't hesitate to play around with the setup to suit your track condition or driving style. I think just playing around with the springs will do the trick.But as usual only do one change at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. Hope this setup will help you guys. Cheers. This national secret will now self destruct...5....4....3
Old 11-14-2002, 06:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: TAO4R secret Recipe

Originally posted by Dragoonz09
Hey Guys you want the sweet setup? Here it goes:-

CHassis - Carbon fiber upper deck, carbon composite tub lower deck
carbon fibre shock towers
Centre one way pully (carpet)
camber- about 1.5deg front n rear (depands on your preference)more camber
gives u better conering speed but less stability on the straight.
camber links are all on the upper deck. similar to 414 type
toe out front about 1 deg.
toe in rear 2deg
front shocks red springs 40 wt oil 3mm spacer
rear shocks red springs 40wt oil 2mm spacer
hard antiroll bar front (blue) no roll bar rear
shock angel front, outermost hole
shock angle rear thrid hole from outermost.
Using this setup, the car has plenty of grip so don't hesitate to play around with the setup to suit your track condition or driving style. I think just playing around with the springs will do the trick.But as usual only do one change at a time so you know what works and what doesn't. Hope this setup will help you guys. Cheers. This national secret will now self destruct...5....4....3
You mentioned Carpet for the center one way pulley, but is the entire et-up for carpet?

KINGZJ and everyone, thanks for the advice.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Aluma,

How do you find the TA04 compared to the TB evos? Which do you prefer and on what track would you run either car?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

waht a good hop-up for ta04-r for carpet racing?
how often do you have to rebulid teh ball diffs?
Old 11-15-2002, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default RE: Centre 0ne way

Hey Mike, The setup i gave is not only meant for carpet but other track surfaces as well. I've used the same setup for asphalt as well as tile. Its just that i find the handling better when i use the centre one way.

Senming, Use my setup on carpet, it really works and as for upgrades you may want to get yourself the ball diff light weight outdrives, the front sway bar and if you got spare change lying around, the carbon composite lower deck, the one with the slots for the battery, makes the battery sit lower.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default RIDE HEIGHT

Hello,
Can someone please clarify where i should measure my ride height on my TA04.
Is it from the ground to the bottom of the chassis measured at the centre??

Thanks
Steevo
Old 11-16-2002, 02:19 AM
Fit
Tech Apprentice

Default Ride height and Droop

In addition to Steevo's question, i have a question concerning droop measurement.
Which should be measured first? Droop or ride height?

I figured that in measuring droop, the ride height is also incorporated in the measurement. So to get the "effective droop", do I have to subtract my ride height from the droop?

I find it a bit confusing,

Thanx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.